Westbury Depot 1970s

It looks like a translucent fibre-glass sheet, possibly with wide, but shallow, corrugations- there's a selection of types here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/grp-roofing-sheets

They were popular for roof and side-cladding on industrial and agricultural buildings- when new, about 90% of light got through, but this declined over time.

• RMweb Gold

From talking to former engine men when I worked at Westbury, they were simple builds and fine in summer but a nightmare in winter.  I remember standing on the south end of Westbury platform during the winter and feeling that the wind was trying to cut through my legs.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Am trying to work out what the roofs are made of on the loco shelters at Westbury see below, dont think they are corrogated?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16179216@N07/8142531311/in/photostream/

Regards

Alan

Transparent, or at worse translucent, sheets but as one linked photo has shown they were distinctly mucky.  The buildings were known locally as 'the elephant house' and while better than completely open to the elements fuel points they were not pleasant places to work and were of course involved in far different work from that for which they were built (they were built for servicing three car DMU sets hence the gap between the two sheds).

• RMweb Premium

I remember standing on the south end of Westbury platform during the winter and feeling that the wind was trying to cut through my legs.

Nothing has changed. 

From talking to former engine men when I worked at Westbury, they were simple builds and fine in summer but a nightmare in winter.  I remember standing on the south end of Westbury platform during the winter and feeling that the wind was trying to cut through my legs.

I can imagine that! Did they have a pit inside each one?

Transparent, or at worse translucent, sheets but as one linked photo has shown they were distinctly mucky.  The buildings were known locally as 'the elephant house' and while better than completely open to the elements fuel points they were not pleasant places to work and were of course involved in far different work from that for which they were built (they were built for servicing three car DMU sets hence the gap between the two sheds).

There were two similar ones at Newton Abbot with the same  gap between them so would the reason be the same there?

Alan

• RMweb Gold

I can imagine that! Did they have a pit inside each one?

There were two similar ones at Newton Abbot with the same  gap between them so would the reason be the same there?

Alan

Fairly sure that Newton would have been the same as there was a separate loco servicing shed there when the depot was rebuilt.  Westbury was never planned too deal with locos (other than fuelling 350 shunters probably) as it was never envisaged as a loco depot as all local services were presumably intended to go over to DMU working. 

Fairly sure that Newton would have been the same as there was a separate loco servicing shed there when the depot was rebuilt.  Westbury was never planned too deal with locos (other than fuelling 350 shunters probably) as it was never envisaged as a loco depot as all local services were presumably intended to go over to DMU working. 

A thought about the DMMU fuel and servicing sheds; was the idea to have the exhausts of the power cars venting into fresh air?

• RMweb Gold

A thought about the DMMU fuel and servicing sheds; was the idea to have the exhausts of the power cars venting into fresh air?

Possibly but I think the main idea was to save money as only the two power cars at the outer ends of a three car set needed the servicing attention and more importantly needed exams.  Clearly this style of structure - which seems to have been relatively uncommon - was designed for far more than the usual fuel point canopy style shelter.  The latter were definitely used for A Exams but any larger exams originally went to the nearby maintenance shed while the Westbury style shed was obviously suited to carrying out the bigger exams although I don't think they had sufficient room to use a forklift truck for engine changing.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 5 years later...