The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Car insurance quotes online...

coachmann

My car insurance will shortly need renewal and so I googled to obtain a quotation from another well-known company. After some considerable time filling in several pages of questions, the questionnaire would not move to the final page because it would not accept my employment as Model Painter, Model Builder or Model Manufacturer. I tried all sorts but all were rejected, so I put in Engineer! At this I was asked to choose which kind of engineer, so I scrolled down the list and clicked on Metal Engineer. Then I clicked on "next" to finalize the questionnaire and  got a message saying I had been inactive for some time so I should go back to the beginning!!! Feck that!!!!!

This and previous attempts to switch insurance providers leads me to believe that all insurance companies have designed their websites to p*ss people off so that they will lose interest and not change to another company. This way, the insurance companies can sit back in the knowledge their cartel holds us all by the short & curlies. So much for "You may get a better quotation elsewhere". Well I hope I do, but not online....

• RMweb Gold

Try getting empty buildings policies, on Monday I wasted 3+ hours of my life with god knows how many companies who all said they provided the cover only to say at the end they didn't.

Just about the only quote I could get was £465 for a 500 square foot shop. The list of exceptions is huge, in fact I can't actually see what they're covering me for.

Insurance companies only recognise certain occupations, even though you can type into the box, it's really only a drop down menu. 

The one on Saga only allows choices from dropdown menu and the page will not move on until one of them has been chosen. In today's 'normality' of doing everything on-line, we perhaps forget the old way of doing things, so I may try a local broker today. 

My first insurance was with the Coop 52 years ago, but my renewal was with a local broker. Funnily enough, he is still in business in our town so he must be reet old by now...

Edited by coachmann

I do most of my insurance online but have always stuck with my local broker for the car. She generally manages to beat the previous year's price, despite insurance going up over the last few years and a simple phone call was all it needed to sort out transferring everything to the new car last week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Try Adrian Flux

I did yesterday for empty buildings cover,  and they transferred me around 4 different 'partners' until it transpired that none of them provide it ....although they advertise that they do.

3 hours wasted.