Railway Modeller May 2018 Vol.69 No. 811

Ruffnut Thorston

Bought my copy yesterday...

Railway of the Month: Wenfleet. Pre-war LNER OO Gauge. (Good to see the use of some Hornby Dublo Semaphore Signals....)

Running to a Timetable.

The Spirit of Shap in OO.

Industrial Loco Parade (7mm) Royd Hall Drift Mine.

Llwyn Grug. N Gauge. Former Cabrian Railways, GWR.

GWR 16XX 0-6-0PT Former Nu Cast Kit,Pannier Tank, now re-released by South Eastern Finecast. Built by Tony Wright.

Abingdon (Whatever Happened To...) O Gauge Branch Terminus GWR.

Project Of The Month: Using the new Peco Bullhead code 75 track in OO.  Laying the Large Radius points and plain flexible track...part 1

Talking Points: Model Trains on The Small Screen - good or bad. Model railways on TV

Millsend: Though The Railway Room Door. OO. Industrial Lancashire 1950s and 1960s

Nellie - new life for a Tri-ang classic. Fitting a Hornby Terrier chassis to a "Nellie" type 0-4-0 Tank loco body.  (Rather a good conversion in my humble opinion! )

Plan Of The Month: Largs (Ayreshire, Scotland)

Scale Drawings: Cuckoo Junction Signal Box. Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway, near Spalding.

Plas Halt. Ffestiniog Railway. Near Tan-y-Bwlch OO9

Railway Modelling Explored:-

Midsummer End.  Gauge GWR 1940s.

Adapting Private Owner coal wagons for the BR era in OO.  Weathering and adding BR "P" numbers to an Oxford PO Mineral wagon.

Working with enamel paints - 2 Paint finishes and application (brushes).

Comment: Keep on running. Why it is good to run trains on your model ralway regulary, every day is good!

Reader's Letters.

Latest Reviews:-

Hornby Class 800 IEP. OO

Bachmann Narrow Gauge Baldwin 10-12-D 4-6-0 (Hummy) OO9

Kernow Model Centr YCV "Turbot" wagons. OO

Dapol Class 68 - N Gauge 1:148 Scale

Hattons Barclay Industrial 0-4-0 Tank Locos. OO

Revolution Trains Class B Tanker wagons. N Gauge

Bachmann new releases, including LNER "Teak" Thompson Coaches, OO. Collet Goods 0-6-0, OO. MK1 RMB Buffet Coach, N. Ronuk 14T Tank wagon, N.

Hattons (Oxford Rail) ICI Hoppers. OO

Commisions: Kernow 150 DMU Firts Great Western, OO. Satlink Tube Wagon, Cheltenham Model Centre, OO. Mid-Hants Railway Wagon Group PO Vans, Crowley Brewery.

Book Reviews.

NEWS from Ralway Modeller.

Exhibition Focus.

etc.!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"Railway of the Month: Wenfleet. Pre-war LNER OO Gauge. (Good to see the use of some Hornby Dublo Semaphore Signals....)"

I saw the article on Wenfleet, but only noted the Hornby Dublo Semaphore Signals after a friend pointed them out. They are not mentioned in the article at all, and indeed they are positioned at a distance in all the photos. But they have been modified or titivated, to give them a bit more detail.

I spent a recent snowy day putting together a Ratio LNER semaphore signal kit, but came to the conclusion that they are so fragile that it won't be long before bits fall off. At the same time I realised the old Hornby Dublo signals are quite a good match for NER signals, and I've now managed to obtain a number, from a local antique dealer and on eBay.

I'd be intrigued to know what can readily be done to give them a bit more detail. Unfortunately the Wenfleet article doesn't help there. but if someone can point me towards another thread on RMweb about improving or detailing Hornby Dublo signals, I'd be grateful.

John Storey

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another great edition. Thoroughly enjoying reading it one week in, when other mags usually last one night. There really is a lot more reading in a Railway Modeller. I thought for one moment there was no narrow gauge in this issue until I spotted the Ffestiniog layout. Certainly the minimal 009 content I’ve seen for sometime. My favourite this month is Millsend .

Well worth buying . Anyone else noticed the adverts are thinning out a bit compared to maybe 10 years ago?

Anyone else noticed the adverts are thinning out a bit compared to maybe 10 years ago?

Oh dear, that's a major income stream. It helps keep print publishers afloat. Let's hope it won't mean cutting back on editorial pages or having to hike the cover price.

G

I have noticed over past year, that an advert in RM seems to reach parts other methods of advertising don't. Do wonder if the bigger adverts are worth the extra cost, but they must be , otherwise they would not be used.
Had not noticed that number of pages of adverts had gone down.

Having adverts at start and end, I still think works best, and maybe people actually see them easier, or can easily ignore them. These days , especially online, being bombarded with adverts when we are trying to look at something else, possibly puts people off, and is counter productive. Some do had Ad blockers, but then that can cause problems, stop you accessing some sites, or maybe actually missing the advert that might interest you.

Looking forward to next issue, as there are two artices of big interest to me and what I am doing now.

"Railway of the Month: Wenfleet. Pre-war LNER OO Gauge. (Good to see the use of some Hornby Dublo Semaphore Signals....)"

I saw the article on Wenfleet, but only noted the Hornby Dublo Semaphore Signals after a friend pointed them out. They are not mentioned in the article at all, and indeed they are positioned at a distance in all the photos. But they have been modified or titivated, to give them a bit more detail.

I spent a recent snowy day putting together a Ratio LNER semaphore signal kit, but came to the conclusion that they are so fragile that it won't be long before bits fall off. At the same time I realised the old Hornby Dublo signals are quite a good match for NER signals, and I've now managed to obtain a number, from a local antique dealer and on eBay.

I'd be intrigued to know what can readily be done to give them a bit more detail. Unfortunately the Wenfleet article doesn't help there. but if someone can point me towards another thread on RMweb about improving or detailing Hornby Dublo signals, I'd be grateful.

John Storey

I don't know about any threads....but....

The basic improvements to HD signals would be:-

For single post signals. Add a landing to the rear of the post below the lamp casting, a "safety loop", and a ladder, with "ladder stays/ stand offs as required.

For junction signals. Create a platform behind the "dolls", wide enough for a 4mm Lamp Man to walk along, with posts and wire railing . Safety lop, and ladders as for singl epost sinals.

You mention that you have a Ratio signals kit.

This could well furnish many detailing parts for the HD signals.....

Ladders, safety lopps, etc. are available from a few sources, either Plastic or Etched metal.

Some more RTR Semaphore Signal information...

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hall_Royd_Model/layout_3.html

Some modified HD electrically operated semaphore signals...

Hall Royd is on the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway's Calder Valley main line, and in the early 1960s there were still a number of L&YR signal posts in use. Of the seven signals to be modelled (excluding the ground discs), four had wooden posts, including a bracket signal.

Looking for an initial fix, I was struck by the similarity of the Hornby Dublo semaphore signals to prototype L&Y posts fitted with upper quadrant arms. Given that Hornby was based in Liverpool, the obvious local prototypes were either LNWR or LYR - and they certainly are not LNWR!

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hall_Royd_Model/layout_40.html

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hall_Royd_Model/layout_12.html

Edited by Sarahagain

Another great edition. Thoroughly enjoying reading it one week in, when other mags usually last one night. There really is a lot more reading in a Railway Modeller. I thought for one moment there was no narrow gauge in this issue until I spotted the Ffestiniog layout. Certainly the minimal 009 content I’ve seen for sometime. My favourite this month is Millsend .

Well worth buying . Anyone else noticed the adverts are thinning out a bit compared to maybe 10 years ago?

There is an extensive thread on Millsend on the Mew Railway Modellers Forum  https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=46389

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Wow, Sarah, at post 7 above - just the sort of information I was hoping for! Yes, I'm planning to use the Ratio parts I have for detailing. Many thanks indeed for the information you've provided here,

John S

. Anyone else noticed the adverts are thinning out a bit compared to maybe 10 years ago?

Hi,

I have noticed this in other publications. I suspect that it might be for the same reason that some exhibition organisers can't get so many traders as before. The "baby boomer" generation of small business owners are now of an age to retire or alas die off. The next generation will have been brought up on computers so will be more likely to rely on websites and other electronic advertising and I don't think that there will be so many in any case.

I advertised in the R.M. every month from 1970 until the late 90s. Even with my O gauge range that I kept in semi-retirement I don't think that I have bought an advert in 20 years. 

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 1

Always a good read ,

If a tad dieselphobic this month

There's a  photo of a class 40 and some blue/grey coaches in the article on modelling Largs.  Also a signal diagram of said station in the 1970s.