A day at Todmorden

The bridge and viaduct to the west are Gauxholme Viaduct, once created as a model by Rochdale Model Railway Group (and still in existence in south Manchester).

Nice Pics. If you go on a weekday you get quite alot of freight again now, Drax biomass, Coal to Fiddlers ferry, Binliners to \ From Knowsley, Biffa waste \ spoil from Collyhurst and aggregates from Arcow quarry plus the bitumen to Preston.

• RMweb Premium

There was a single freight train timetabled on Saturday, however it was cancelled, so no joy there. I suspect there may be an additional trip there later in the year, which may be on a week day, so I could go freight hunting in the future.

• RMweb Gold

There was a single freight train timetabled on Saturday, however it was cancelled, so no joy there. I suspect there may be an additional trip there later in the year, which may be on a week day, so I could go freight hunting in the future.

A ballast passed through on Sunday

• RMweb Gold

Nice set of images there.

You picked a good weekend to visit as the Calder Valley line was busier than usual. The Standedge route via Huddersfield to Manchester Piccadilly was closed for engineering work at Marsden, resulting in class 185 TransPennine Express services being diverted along the Calder Valley. Plus the Sunday bonus of a freight as Beast66606 mentions above - GBRf 66755.

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting. I did see that the traffic on the route was particularly heavy...there was no more than a 15 minute gap between services; in some cases the gap was as little as 5 minutes. I only spent the Saturday there...Sunday was over the border in Lancashire and then back south.

• RMweb Gold

I was taking photos on Saturday and Sunday a few miles further east of you around Brighouse and I imagine the Calder Valley was pretty much at capacity during day light hours. Certainly the signallers at Hebden Bridge and Milner Royd Junction ‘boxes will have had particularly busy shifts over the weekend.

Both boxes are due to close in October, together with those at Halifax and Mill Lane Bradford, as part of the Calder Valley re-control project that sees responsibility move to York ROC.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 1