Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Instructions for a Keyser GWR 42/52/72xx required please

I have just bought a second hand Keyser GWR 42/52/72xx whitemetal loco kit, sadly it came without instructions. I was hoping someone could scan/copy a set of instructions as I would like to see how the parts come together for the 2-8-0T version. Thanks in advance

Dave

Thanks very much, have both saved a copy and printed a set out. The kit is partially built so I need to dismantle it, plus years ago I was given a box of spare parts, so hopefully will get one completed

Now to un-assemble the few bits which were started.

Glad I was able to help. The kit that the instructions came from has been sitting three quarters built now for about thirty years. I really must get stuck into the backlog of kits I've collected - currently about 30+ loco, 35+ coach and 100+ goods stock! Then there are all the re-motor, re-wheel and general rebuildings of older stock to consider.

Dave R.

I really must get stuck into the backlog of kits I've collected - currently about 30+ loco, 35+ coach and 100+ goods stock! Then there are all the re-motor, re-wheel and general rebuildings of older stock to consider.

Are you me in disguise?

You need a good drawing to make anything like a 42/52/72XX from this kit.   

There were alternative bunker sides for 42XX and 72XX as well as alternative front ends for raised late 52XX framing and earlier 42XX framing. 

Early 72XX had later framing and the later ones had a mixture.

Personally having had massive problems trying to build one of these which neither looks right nor runs very often  I would buy a Hornby version and stuff it with lead (as I have done)  Mine burned its motor out within yards of completion and then snapped connecting rods when I upgraded the motor, added to which it didn't like curves, as in not even 2ft radius.

Appearance wise there is something very wrong around the top of the firebox and cab area.

I think the cab roof is too flat and the front of the firebox too high.  The 56XX had the same tanks.  Initially both classes had wooden cab roofs with canvas covering but later were changed to steel plates

....The kit that the instructions came from has been sitting three quarters built now for about thirty years. I really must get stuck into the backlog of kits I've collected - currently about 30+ loco, 35+ coach and 100+ goods stock! Then there are all the re-motor, re-wheel and general rebuildings of older stock to consider.

Are you me in disguise?

*hollow laughter*

You need a good drawing to make anything like a 42/52/72XX from this kit.   

There were alternative bunker sides for 42XX and 72XX as well as alternative front ends for raised late 52XX framing and earlier 42XX framing. 

Early 72XX had later framing and the later ones had a mixture.

Personally having had massive problems trying to build one of these which neither looks right nor runs very often  I would buy a Hornby version and stuff it with lead (as I have done)  Mine burned its motor out within yards of completion and then snapped connecting rods when I upgraded the motor, added to which it didn't like curves, as in not even 2ft radius.

Appearance wise there is something very wrong around the top of the firebox and cab area.

I think the cab roof is too flat and the front of the firebox too high.  The 56XX had the same tanks.  Initially both classes had wooden cab roofs with canvas covering but later were changed to steel plates

That's cheered me up no end, thankfully I have a second box of spares which were given to me years ago, a couple of books with plans in and some photos from Bodmin. Seems I now need to study things closely, chose a plan and copy as best as I can.