RMweb

Atso-Cad Models - N Gauge V1 and V3 printed bodies now available!

Looks really good from here. :)

The issues with different scale.drawings is a real PITA but it is real. They differ from each other in details and dimensions sometimes and in some.cases the photographs are consistent in certain details against the drawings.

You just have to research them as much as possible to have the best chance at accuracy.

Keep up the good work. :)

Looks really good from here. :)

The issues with different scale.drawings is a real PITA but it is real. They differ from each other in details and dimensions sometimes and in some.cases the photographs are consistent in certain details against the drawings.

You just have to research them as much as possible to have the best chance at accuracy.

Keep up the good work. :)

Thank you,

The drawings in this case really were a real PITA! I ended up having to track down known key dimensions and amend the various drawings accordingly. A lot of the detail ended up being scaled from the best quality photographs I could find - someone different from the drawings and GAs that I'm used to but it seems to have all come together in the end. As I said previously, I've been lucky that I've had some knowledgeable people look over the CAD at several stages and point out where corrections have been needed. Not how I like to work and its taken far longer than originally anticipated but I'm glad this one is finally with Shapeways for printing!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve

Yes, because of the different materials I've used at different times, I've had to make modifications to the files, I think that, overall, the Barnum has been on the go for around three years, and even the GNR G1 4-4-0 took over a year. I agree with Knuckles, I can't just rattle out a model. For me, really getting to know the prototype is a part of the fun, and I like to go out to multiple sources to prove or disprove received wisdom (and of course plans) wherever possible.

I've no idea why I didn't follow your topic before, but I've rectified that mistake now. :)

cheers

Jason

Edited by JCL

• 4 weeks later...

Another locomotive that is progressing through the works.

post-943-0-04569100-1540469163.jpg

As it uses a modified Dapol Hall chassis/couplings rods/connecting rods/modified cross heads, Britannia driving wheels, Farish large bogie wheels and Peco tender wheels, I'm not sure if I should offer it up for sale. The tolerances on this one are incredibly tight and it's taken me several attempts over the last ten years to produce something that is both as dimensionally accurate as I can make it and actually work!

If anyone is interested, this one will end up as part of my own loco fleet as 4452. 4452 gained some fame on 4th September 1936 when it deputised for a failed A4 (actually it replaced an NER Atlantic that had replaced the A4) at Doncaster and took the Silver Jubilee set from there all the way to Kings Cross (156 miles) in 139 minutes - an average speed of 67.3 mph which wasn't bad for a 26 year old Atlantic!

• Like 6

I'm genuinely in love with your Atlantic. I've always had a soft spot for them and what you have there is eye watering.

It does indeed sound a lot of work and faff to get it running and I am not currently in a position to do so, although I'd like to.

However, there is no harm in uploading it anyway, you never know who may want what no matter how unlikely. This is something I have found out through time.

Very impressive. Shapeways print or home print or? Looks really good.

Edited by Knuckles

I'm genuinely in love with your Atlantic. I've always had a soft spot for them and what you have there is eye watering.

It does indeed sound a lot of work and faff to get it running and I am not currently in a position to do so, although I'd like to.

However, there is no harm in uploading it anyway, you never know who may want what no matter how unlikely. This is something I have found out through time.

Very impressive. Shapeways print or home print or? Looks really good.

Thanks Knuckles. The Atlantic has been a must have locomotive for me ever since I turned to N Gauge! I think you're right and, once I've finalised the design, I might well make it available for those determined to have one.

The C1 is home printed and has now had some of the details picked out prior to lining out.

post-943-0-57357600-1540810397.jpg

post-943-0-07790900-1540810401.jpg

The County prototype print has also been progress with the lining.

post-943-0-87294900-1540810461.jpg

All the lining above is hand painted; although I did the straight double lining using hand painted clear decal sheet as it was easier than trying to do this on the model. All the corners are brush work. 

• Like 3

Oh wow, that's looking lush. Both of them.

The Atlantic for me especially though.

What green paint have you used there and is it the true colour or is it wrong for the pics?

Looks a perfect shade for my RWS projects.

Also what printer you using? Sorry if you mentioned before, just really digging all this eye candy. :D

Edited by Knuckles

Thanks Knuckles,

The greens are Precision Gloss LNER Doncaster Green and Precision Gloss BR Loco Green (post 1954). However, the C1 also had an air brushed coat of Ronseal Hardglaze polyurethane gloss varnish as an experiment to provide an additional layer of protection, durability to the base colours (as per Ian Rathbone's methods) which has given the Atlantic a very high gloss sheen. The actual colour will tone down a little once I've finished lining it out but the rather strong sunlight yesterday did affect the tones a bit.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh wow, that's looking lush. Both of them.

The Atlantic for me especially though.

What green paint have you used there and is it the true colour or is it wrong for the pics?

Looks a perfect shade for my RWS projects.

Also what printer you using? Sorry if you mentioned before, just really digging all this eye candy. :D

I completely agree, that lining is amazing.

• 1 month later...

Hi Millerhillboy,

You've done a lovely job on the V3. Thank you so much for buying (and building!) one of my prints.

Atso

Its been a pleasure!!!

Definitely looking forward to more of your products and as the printing gets better every step of the way then things are only hoing to get better and better.

Cheers

MHB

• Like 2

post-943-0-92628900-1546170329_thumb.jpg

The test build of my revised L1 print. I've still got some snagging work to do on this one and a couple of minor things to redesign internally to make life easier but it is slowly coming along. This one already has a new home to go to (a layout being built based on Whitby) and I hope to have this, and some of the variations, available for general sale later in 2019.

• Like 7

Steve

Can you advise of any parts from the N-Brass range that you would recommend to finish off the V3 model

Did you use the safety valves for example, if so do you recall which variant?

Of course, you'll need some Ross pop safety valves (item 23147), whistle (23107 - I seldom fit these as it is all too easy to knock them off) and SR lamp brackets (23246). For lamp brackets I actually use 2mm Assocation etched handrail knobs now (cheaper), threaded up through the holes in the front of the buffer beam but the Nbrass SR ones, or some thin scrap etch, work well if you're not a member.