Atso-Cad Models - N Gauge V1 and V3 printed bodies now available!

The L1 has now been test printed.

attachicon.gif20180630_140642.jpg

I've got a few corrections to make, mainly in getting things to sit level on the donor chassis.

These truly are looking lush. Rivets turned out great too.

Lubricator hand wheel has turned out brilliant. That must be the diameter of a gnats....!

Good 'photographic grey' pic. :D

EDIT: To everyone, my posting flicked the page so please have a look at what is being replied to.

Edited by Knuckles

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I test printed the current GWR County loco body and decided to quickly spray it up using Tayima paints (hence the wrong shade of green) as it was coming with me to TINGS yesterday.

post-943-0-01726900-1536526459_thumb.jpg

Please note that, other than removing the printing supports, no cleaning up or rubbing down of this print had taken place - hence the strange pattern on the boiler. However, I hope that you can see some of the detail that's been incorporated into the CAD.

• Like 1

Thanks Knuckles.

The test print was done on my B9Creator, much quicker to knock up test prints. I was using this for final models for quite a while but I feel that Shapeways has gotten their quality control a lot better recently and FXD has the advantage of less warping and no supports that are physically connected to the model in the same material! Therefore the final print, once I'm happy with the design, will be done using FXD (or whatever they're calling it now!).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My Brother has recently completed a number of 3D printed N gauge loco's from the Atso-Cad range. Below are a few photos of the completed models with a brief description.

First up is the L1 which uses a Farish Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 chassis as the power train. The using his own 3D printer a chassis extension was produced for the rear bogie section, and a scratch built bogie manufactured. Lined using Fox transfers

post-1859-0-56279400-1537020491_thumb.jpg

Next up is a Patriot which as suggested on the Shapeways site uses a Farish Jubilee chassis and a Union Mills tender as power. Coal rails were added from another Farish loco (4F I think). Painted and lined using Fox transfers again.

post-1859-0-87024300-1537020673_thumb.jpg

And finally, a K3 which uses the Farish N Class 2-6-0 as a chassis. 

post-1859-0-05461500-1537021013_thumb.jpg

Currently in production also is a C12. When I have pictures I will post a few here.

These 3D priced locos are great way having a model of something a little unusual. Keep up the good work

Regards

Andy

Edited by innocentman
  • Like 6

Outstanding jobs!

They really look almost like a factory RTR finish.

Free advertising right here for Atso!

Lovely stuff. :) Can't pick a fault other than the broken buffer....which does not count.

Edited by Knuckles

Thanks for the nice comments.

I have some nice brass buffers for the K3 from N Brass Loco but haven't fitted them as yet.

As for the L1, it's going to be weathered quite heavily to match a photo, so i'm not concerned about the lining too much. 

I could get the 0.1mm ink pen out and draw black line in the corners? but maybe not. 

Outstanding jobs!

They really look almost like a factory RTR finish.

Free advertising right here for Atso!

Lovely stuff. :) Can't pick a fault other than the broken buffer....which does not count.

• Like 1

Hi Gareth

I know it looks funny but the picture is very cruel.

Fox have changed the lining now so it comes with a clear gap between the red and grey. I didn't have enough of the new or old lining to do the job with one type.

Some of the corners are the new type.

The straight lines have had black lines drawn on them before cutting them out of the decal sheet.

I'm happy with it and as I have now used all of my old corners the next one will be better.

Always trying to improve the finish with each new model

Regards

Ian 

It's just looked odd with some of the corners having the transfer overlay and other not.

My Brother has recently completed a number of 3D printed N gauge loco's from the Atso-Cad range. Below are a few photos of the completed models with a brief description.

First up is the L1 which uses a Farish Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 chassis as the power train. The using his own 3D printer a chassis extension was produced for the rear bogie section, and a scratch built bogie manufactured. Lined using Fox transfers

attachicon.gifL1.jpg

Next up is a Patriot which as suggested on the Shapeways site uses a Farish Jubilee chassis and a Union Mills tender as power. Coal rails were added from another Farish loco (4F I think). Painted and lined using Fox transfers again.

attachicon.gifPatriot.jpg

attachicon.gifK3-1.jpg

Currently in production also is a C12. When I have pictures I will post a few here.

These 3D priced locos are great way having a model of something a little unusual. Keep up the good work

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Your bother has done a fantastic job on those locomotives, well done. I'm pretty sure that he has sent me a picture of the K3 previously; it uses a Dapol B1 tender if I remember correctly. My favorite out of this trio is the Patriot though, it really looks smart in BR green! Out of all the locomotives I've designed, it is the one that I don't own myself as the one I built was for a commission several years back.

Thank you so much for sharing these. It's been a difficult few months and I've been feeling particularly low and almost gave up with both Atso-Cad and railway modelling in general. Seeing what other people have achieved using my designs is always a great 'pick me up' and confidence boost!

Thank you so much for sharing these. It's been a difficult few months and I've been feeling particularly low and almost gave up with both Atso-Cad and railway modelling in general. Seeing what other people have achieved using my designs is always a great 'pick me up' and confidence boost!

Please don't give them up, you have done brilliant work to date. Makes me tempted to do a few N Gauge locos.

Hi Andy,

Your bother has done a fantastic job on those locomotives, well done. I'm pretty sure that he has sent me a picture of the K3 previously; it uses a Dapol B1 tender if I remember correctly. My favorite out of this trio is the Patriot though, it really looks smart in BR green! Out of all the locomotives I've designed, it is the one that I don't own myself as the one I built was for a commission several years back.

I hope your mojo keeps on going your 3D work is great. I am hoping that you will get around to some of the Southern locos that where on your website.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifK3-1.jpg

Regards

Andy

That K3 looks fantastic!

Thanks for sharing.

Please don't give them up, you have done brilliant work to date. Makes me tempted to do a few N Gauge locos.

Thank you Mike! From you, I couldn't ask for higher praise! :D A thread on another forum, that I know you are aware of, has caused some anxiety. While the topic was not directed at any of my efforts, the negativity and aggressiveness of one contributor has really shaken my own confidence and desire to put my own work out there. I would not like to have those kind of destructive (and in some cases unsubstantiated and inaccurate) comments directed at something I've researched and designed. As somebody who has battled depression and suicidal thoughts over the last few years, I'm unsure why I would wish to be opened up to that kind of naked abuse. Constructive and informed criticism is another matter entirely.

I hope your mojo keeps on going your 3D work is great. I am hoping that you will get around to some of the Southern locos that where on your website.

Keith

Thank you Keith. The Southern locos may be a little way off yet as I'm out of suitable donor chassis at the moment and really need to get my mojo back to clear some existing commitments. I like to try and design loco bodies that will fit onto an existing rtr chassis (that may need some modifications) and is as straight forward for the builder as I can make it. I don't think that I've test printed a model so far that didn't need at least one revision due to an error that either affected the cosmetic looks or build-ability of the model. This makes designing an expensive and (sometimes frustratingly) slow process - I think that for every model that makes it on to Shapeways, there are two on the back burner waiting for me to figure out the best way of sorting a problem. That said I'm happier knowing that I've offered the purchaser a model has been test built/proven and is as close to scale as the various restrictions of the donor parts and printed materials (and source material!) allow.

Thank you Mike! From you, I couldn't ask for higher praise! :D A thread on another forum, that I know you are aware of, has caused some anxiety. While the topic was not directed at any of my efforts, the negativity and aggressiveness of one contributor has really shaken my own confidence and desire to put my own work out there. I would not like to have those kind of destructive (and in some cases unsubstantiated and inaccurate) comments directed at something I've researched and designed. As somebody who has battled depression and suicidal thoughts over the last few years, I'm unsure why I would wish to be opened up to that kind of naked abuse. Constructive and informed criticism is another matter entirely.

Thank you Keith. The Southern locos may be a little way off yet as I'm out of suitable donor chassis at the moment and really need to get my mojo back to clear some existing commitments. I like to try and design loco bodies that will fit onto an existing rtr chassis (that may need some modifications) and is as straight forward for the builder as I can make it. I don't think that I've test printed a model so far that didn't need at least one revision due to an error that either affected the cosmetic looks or build-ability of the model. This makes designing an expensive and (sometimes frustratingly) slow process - I think that for every model that makes it on to Shapeways, there are two on the back burner waiting for me to figure out the best way of sorting a problem. That said I'm happier knowing that I've offered the purchaser a model has been test built/proven and is as close to scale as the various restrictions of the donor parts and printed materials (and source material!) allow.

Atso

I for one am very grateful for your efforts, I was excited to get one of your prints (in this case the V1/V3 as you know) and its coming on great. It takes people like you to grab the new technology and run with it, its all very good the technology existing but if no one takes it and uses then its of little real world use. A number of people have clearly taken your prints and produced fantastic, eye-catching non-out the box models which for me is superb to see. The models above clearly can show what can be acheived and great credit to the end modeller but without your hardwork and skills in producing the prints they'd be nothing.

I really hope you keep at it, its great to see what you can continue to achieve in this ever improving technology.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifPatriot.jpg

Regards

Andy

Lovely work by your brother, Andy.

It would really be handy if you two could describe how a UM tender was wired to a Peco chassis, just in case, and especially for anyone who may be thinking of doing the same.

As for you, Atso:

'A thread on another forum, that I know you are aware of, has caused some anxiety. While the topic was not directed at any of my efforts, the negativity and aggressiveness of one contributor has really shaken my own confidence'

I know that other forum very well, and after an initial honeymoon period I was also badly affected by its toxicity a few years ago. My own posts there are minimal now, and very selective.

Please try not to be affected by the nasty element that lurks there. Your work is always superb and, like someone else on this thread, I await the day when you can start to include some Southern locos in your output (the earlier the better for me as I model 1929/1930 - Drummond locos please!). I love the promise offered by 3D in N gauge terms and can't wait to see what you get up to with SR locos. Keep up the great work.

Thank you guys.

I know that other forum very well, and after an initial honeymoon period I was also badly affected by its toxicity a few years ago. My own posts there are minimal now, and very selective.

Please try not to be affected by the nasty element that lurks there. Your work is always superb and, like someone else on this thread, I await the day when you can start to include some Southern locos in your output (the earlier the better for me as I model 1929/1930 - Drummond locos please!). I love the promise offered by 3D in N gauge terms and can't wait to see what you get up to with SR locos. Keep up the great work.

I'll try not to let myself get affected in the future. However, I'm not sure we're thinking of the same forum, the one that caused the unfortunate issue isn't scale specific. However, I'm sorry to hear that you've had problems on another forum.

• Like 1

Thank you guys.

I'll try not to let myself get affected in the future. However, I'm not sure we're thinking of the same forum, the one that caused the unfortunate issue isn't scale specific. However, I'm sorry to hear that you've had problems on another forum.

Ah, yes, in that case it's more a case of toxic elements existing on most forums then. My feeling now is that they should all be approached with caution.

Following up from the latest bit of test printing, I've turned my attention back to the chimney and redesigned it.

post-943-0-71063800-1537882068_thumb.jpg

You may have also noticed that it has gained a set of cylinders as well. This have had to be moved out a smidge beyond what the drawings say to preserve the positions of the con rods, crossheads and slide bars from the Black Five donor. However, I think that they actually look closer to the photographs I've seen than the drawings do. Either way, this is a practical consideration and I can't see a way around it.

The loco also received some attention inside the cab.

post-943-0-75419400-1537882075_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, the drawings I have don't show the layout of the cab so this has been pieced together from references of other GWR 4-6-0s. It is a representation only to suggest that there are some controls and I make no claims about their accuracy.

The fixing holes have been plotted and added - we'll see how accurate my measurements are when I get the first print from Shapeways!

The tender still needs some more work at this stage but I think I'm going to call the loco end complete (unless anyone can find anything wrong or the Shapeways print reveals something that the B9C prints have missed.).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve

Having done some 3D modelling myself, I can see that you've put a huge amount of work you've put in there, and it looks fantastic because of that. Your completed models are brilliant, and it's hard to believe it's 2mm scale.

cheers

Jason

• Like 1

Hi Steve

Having done some 3D modelling myself, I can see that you've put a huge amount of work you've put in there, and it looks fantastic because of that. Your completed models are brilliant, and it's hard to believe it's 2mm scale.

cheers

Jason

Thank you Jason,

Its crazy to think but the initial research into the County started a year ago! It's been an interesting twelve months on this project (not worked on for every minute of it though!) finding bits out and having to work a lot from the reference photos to correct errors in the various drawings I acquired (or was given) and I'm very grateful to those who have offered help, advice and information to help to turn this one into a reality. I have to confess that now it is been sent to Shapeways, I'm feeling a bit lost without it for a few days! That said, I really need to design up some etched pieces for it but that'll wait until next week!

Your own work is superb too! I first came across your prints through Mike's 'Emily' conversion and I really think your laser cut Barnum coach looks the business. Judging from your bogie designs, you give your own 3D printed (and laser cut) models a lot of thought too.

Edit: I forgot to mention here, a very kind soul sent me a great photograph of the interior of a County cab so I made a few changes to my representation of the back head.

post-943-0-79718800-1538032702_thumb.jpg

Edited by Atso
  • Like 1