RMweb

Multiple monitors on Windows 10

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

As an upgrade of my TrainController computer I now have 2 graphics cards and 4 monitors

To start I have two indentical monitors, one each connected to the DVI port on each graphic card.

Why does one particular monitor always boot up windows, irrespective of which card it is connected to?

I've swapped the cables over, swapped the position shown on desktop settings but always the one that is currently on the right boots up Windows!

Could it be a slight timing discrepancy that the first one to "handshake" gets the boot up and the one monitor is just a fraction quicker?

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Have you defined one as the primary monitor? You should have a setting to "make this my main display" or something like that within the display settings.

How would Windows know which monitor that is?

I assumed the "main display" would tag the graphics port when you select that, so swapping monitors should change which one is the "main".

Cheers

Keith

Not that I've tested other options, but I've always interpreted the "make this my main display" instruction as one to set the screen that carries the primary desktop - which can be extended to either side or replicated on both screens. I only have 2 screens, by the way, but I have always got the setup I was trying for where the laptop carries the "main display" and the second screen is placed to whichever side is convenient. The laptop screen in this scenario always starts first.

I don't think, really, that this is the question you are asking, though.

Colin

Edited by antrobuscp

• RMweb Gold

How would Windows know which monitor that is?

I assumed the "main display" would tag the graphics port when you select that, so swapping monitors should change which one is the "main".

Have a look in Device Manager and you'll see your 4 monitors lists there. I believe Windows will be using the actual devices to assign to the "main display", not the ports on the graphics cards.

• RMweb Premium

Have a look in Device Manager and you'll see your 4 monitors lists there. I believe Windows will be using the actual devices to assign to the "main display", not the ports on the graphics cards.

But two are identical and show in Device Manager as such.

I switch off Windows and swap the two between graphics cards but the same one, physically, boots up.

Can it read the serial number of each one? :scratchhead:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I tried faffing around, selecting "make this my main display" etc.

I could not stop Windows from starting in the second monitor, so I swapped it physically with the other one, re-assigned settings and now it works as I want.

Waiting for some VESA mounts to arrive so that I can position them better.

Keith