RMweb

how to wire insulfrog points

martinapsid

I would highly recommend binning those insulfrog points and buying some electrofrog points as you will undoubtedly find better running and reliability with proper metal frogs.  

The point of insulfrog is that you dont require wiring beyond track feed as the frog is "dead" and thus no issue with polarity or shorting.  

Electrofrogs OTOH require slightly more wiring and a polarity switch to change the polarity of the frog so you dont have dead sections which small or slow locos can stall on.

Im not sure if you mixed up your point types or if you are actually trying to use insulfrogs.  

• RMweb Gold

I would highly recommend binning those insulfrog points and buying some electrofrog points as you will undoubtedly find better running and reliability with proper metal frogs.  

The point of insulfrog is that you dont require wiring beyond track feed as the frog is "dead" and thus no issue with polarity or shorting.  

Electrofrogs OTOH require slightly more wiring and a polarity switch to change the polarity of the frog so you dont have dead sections which small or slow locos can stall on.

Im not sure if you mixed up your point types or if you are actually trying to use insulfrogs.  

i would swap if i could but money is a issue i am using modifed insulfrog points and need to know how to wi

re facing points martin

Shorting is the main problem with Insulfrogs - you do not notice it on DC but on DCC the system trips out. The guilty engine was a Hornby T9. I resolved it by insulating beyond the frog and wiring together the frog rails. Potentially a short can then arise between the open closure rail and the stock rail but I did not suffer that problem. Have now replaced with Electrofogs.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

Shorting is the main problem with Insulfrogs - you do not notice it on DC but on DCC the system trips out. The guilty engine was a Hornby T9. I resolved it by insulating beyond the frog and wiring together the frog rails. Potentially a short can then arise between the open closure rail and the stock rail but I did not suffer that problem. Have now replaced with Electrofogs.

A quick/cheap fix is to paint about 1mm of the rail just beyond the frog with nail varnish to extend the insulation - clear is best. (But that creates a large insulated gap - see below)

Another fix it to make sure that your wheels are of a good standard - back to backs/tread widths etc,.

The advice that insulfogs cannot be used on DCC is an urban legend.

Insulfrogs can be used on DCC, it's just that you will have to add extra wires to the rails beyond the point.

It's just that electrofrogs cause less pickup problems than an insulfrog due to the inherent larger insulated gap - regardless of using DC or DCC.

Cheers,

Mick