Brockenhurst Station/Yard Track Plan

SRyan

Hi all,

Would anyone be able help me locate a track plan of Brockenhurst station from the 50’s/60’s?

I’ve managed to roughly sketch out a plan of the station and approach lines from the west from photos, including the position of the ground signals, but more information on the goods sidings would be useful.

Ryan

If you live in the county, go to either the County Record Office or Local Studies Library. Either or both of them should have copies of 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps (usually several copies of differing dates) which should give you a good idea of the layout.

But be aware that signal diagrams,though very useful and interesting in their own right, rarely show sidings that are not under the direct control of the relevant box.

Indeed, but read in conjunction with contemporary 25" OS maps they are very useful indeed, especially as they will show any running line slips which the OS maps don't. There is a 1962-63 25" OS map on the old-maps.co.uk website which was clearly the result of a total resurvey and likely, therefore, to be accurate for about 1961.

Afternoon all,

A somewhat delayed thank you to you all, all of these suggestions have been very helpful.

I hadn't realised that there was a small turntable just behind the goods sidings. Would anyone have an idea what this would have been used for?

With regards to signalling, it appears to me that there were three down signals at the foot of platforms 3/4 (presumably for the main line, Lymington Branch and Castleman's Corkscrew) and a single up at the end of platform 1/2 (opposite end of the platform, but I think this requires a bit more research!

Ryan