The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

RMWeb Gamer's Lounge.

Classsix T

4 hours ago, MJI said:

I to be honest can't see the point of these games, same with driving sims now. Used to like GT4 but now can't be bothered.

If I want to kick a ball I can, if I want to drive I can, if I want to shoot aliens in the face - game time.

Not being nasty Martin, but we all play games for different reasons, is why you don't play absolutely necessary? Especially in a forum arena where scale, gauge and time period is already an issue to some?

Live and let live sunshine, it's all cool bud. 

C6T. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Seriously? Known world circuits, right, in reverse!? Wtf! Didn't know it was a refresh either.

I'm not touching that! Thanks for info.

C6T. 

Yup. Lots of fictional liveries too. Ok the Aston GT is in the works fluo yellow, but the Moby Dick Porsche is in a red and yellow scheme, not the classic Martini colours the car was known for. I know Codies don't have the big budgets of companies like Microsoft for licenses etc, but all the same. I do wonder if the Martini thing is to do with getting the game to be rated 3+. The Focus on all the recent Dirt games, despite being a 2001 machine, has carried the rather naff white livery of the pre 99 test car.

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I like real liveries on cars in games because I'm never going to be Jason Plato, Petter Solberg or Colin McRae, but playing a game you can pretend to be and the decent looking car all helps with the immersion

Jo

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Yup. Lots of fictional liveries too. Ok the Aston GT is in the works fluo yellow, but the Moby Dick Porsche is in a red and yellow scheme, not the classic Martini colours the car was known for. I know Codies don't have the big budgets of companies like Microsoft for licenses etc, but all the same. I do wonder if the Martini thing is to do with getting the game to be rated 3+. The Focus on all the recent Dirt games, despite being a 2001 machine, has carried the rather naff white livery of the pre 99 test car.

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I like real liveries on cars in games because I'm never going to be Jason Plato, Petter Solberg or Colin McRae, but playing a game you can pretend to be and the decent looking car all helps with the immersion

Jo

I get that absolutely Jo, but funnily enough - even as a smoking drinker old enough to remember the bad old days - I cringe at each booze or fags retro livery in GTSport and won't entertain them on my own motors. Is that odd? 

I'm also fed-up with Red sodding Bull on everything, to the point I've deliberately coloured my RB single seaters in Pepsi livery. That'll show 'em! 

C6T. 

There was something very British and very cheerful at the weekend about watching touring cars sponsored by Ginsters and Shredded Wheat!

The Ford Focus ran in certain countries either without logos or at least with a Ford logo in place of the Martini so I'm surprised they haven't gone down that route like in games in the Colin McRae series did.

As for Pepsi replacing Red Bull... Love it!

So we've had the fag as era, followed my mobile phones, followed by energy drinks. Vape sticks seem to be starting to appear in motorsport, will they be the next era, or something else? Thankfully gambling seems to have largely passed motorsport sponsorship by.

The Paddy Power Peugeot rally cross team or Betfred BMW in the BTCC doesn't really have a ring to it, does it!

Jo

Yes!!! I hadn't put 2 and 2 together, but that's genius!

Had my fun in Dirt Rally 2.0 earlier, amazed I landed the 037 coming over that jumpy junction in Germany.

xbs2.jpg.3ad8d7a9a43db7f5a5c972abb3180d15.jpg

It all went a bit wrong when I heard "50 over finish" from Phil, I floored it, (slightly) clipped a rock a little bit head on and this happened...

xbs3.jpg.04f484520b003c2f6a117671a0227d81.jpg

Enough was enough, time to dust the cobwebs of Forza as there are Armco barriers rather and less of those pesky rocks to crash into. 

A few fast laps in the rain, this was the closest I could get to any of my pics from the weekend.

xbs1.jpg.6b2a7bad2a26c6d7bd2ec9a3f744b1fa.jpg

IMG_5047e.jpg.231ca695a5b457f783213aa34f5ae34e.jpg

Also did half a lap of Sebring at night in the Aston DBR9, very beautiful with the fireworks, but I binned it and decided to open the cider instead! Besides, more importantly, it was nearly dinner time. According to my other half the Ginsters Toyota at Brands was very me, and she reckons that not long after we met she had it sussed that in  true bloke fashion, the way to my heart was through my stomach! No comment, I say...

Jo

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been playing Untitled Goose Game, it's great. I genuinely felt really bad for the actions of my goose, but real satisfaction at having figured out how to achieve my 'to do' list.

Honking at the little boy, scaring him so much he trips over, then stealing his glasses was a high/low point.

ss_6c0fa7da01f010b3de476cd3de9369687256d

Later I chased him into a phone box and he had to call his mum to come and let him out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Honk! 

Glad to say that Untitled Goose Game is promised a PS4 & Xbox release at a later date. 

I'm told the secret to an untroubled conscience session of Goose based arseholery is to play as if everyone in the village is a member of a demographic you particularly detest!

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
proper English
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Not being nasty Martin, but we all play games for different reasons, is why you don't play absolutely necessary? Especially in a forum arena where scale, gauge and time period is already an issue to some?

Live and let live sunshine, it's all cool bud. 

C6T. 

I don't care what other people do with games, it is their hobby, this is just my opinion, it is not an instruction, nor a rule. I just don't understand sports games.

I just like games to do stuff I cannot do in real life.

One of my favourite recent games was Horizon : Zero Dawn. Complete escapism.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Steadfast said:

There was something very British and very cheerful at the weekend about watching touring cars sponsored by Ginsters and Shredded Wheat!

The Ford Focus ran in certain countries either without logos or at least with a Ford logo in place of the Martini so I'm surprised they haven't gone down that route like in games in the Colin McRae series did.

As for Pepsi replacing Red Bull... Love it!

So we've had the fag as era, followed my mobile phones, followed by energy drinks. Vape sticks seem to be starting to appear in motorsport, will they be the next era, or something else? Thankfully gambling seems to have largely passed motorsport sponsorship by.

The Paddy Power Peugeot rally cross team or Betfred BMW in the BTCC doesn't really have a ring to it, does it!

Jo

Some of the fag packet liveries were very stylish. Eg Lotus F1.

As to the deregulation of gambling - don't start me off!

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, MJI said:

I don't care what other people do with games, it is their hobby, this is just my opinion, it is not an instruction, nor a rule. I just don't understand sports games.

I just like games to do stuff I cannot do in real life.

Sports fits the bill there fore me!

Not that I play sports games to be honest, and I probably could do sport if I was a bit more energetic (and if school hadn't done its best to drive every ounce of enthusiasm for sport out of me).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, MJI said:

Some of the fag packet liveries were very stylish. Eg Lotus F1.

As to the deregulation of gambling - don't start me off!

I still think of red and white when I think of McLaren.

After a few sessions running by myself just to get used to Forza again last night, I tried a race this morning. 24 various touring cars, all near enough the same in terms of performance. 6 laps of Brands.

Well, the AI had me well and truly stumped. Outdragging me on the straights (an identical Merc!) , despite me getting on the power first, but so slow on the apexes of corners you can't help but rear end them. I had my braking spots and apex speeds pretty nailed from the practice I'd done, so it seems the game has the AI set to be too slow through the corners. When I did Spa after (again 24 BTCC/ WTCC cars) Eau Rouge was virtually undrivable mid - pack as everyone slowed down so much. Running at the head of the pack I was a good 30 mph quicker through there, didn't come off and took the perfect line through the corners. And still got caught by another BTCC car at the end of the straight!

When you do inevitably make contact, there's no crumple or give in the bodywork, it's like both cars have a magnet to repel each other. They shoot away and I drop backwards. And I'm not talking a closing speed of 50 mph, this was a gentle kiss on the straight. The AI doesn't seem to adapt to having cars around it either, seems they just drive what to them is an ideal line and stay glued to it. 

And because there's no qualifying, you always start well down the pack. I was 18th.

I think I've just remembered why I got bored of Forza before...

Back to the rallying for me I reckon

Jo

36 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Sports fits the bill there fore me!

Not that I play sports games to be honest, and I probably could do sport if I was a bit more energetic (and if school hadn't done its best to drive every ounce of enthusiasm for sport out of me).

Well if I could hit 350yd drives and sink putts from 70ft, I wouldn't be doing my current day job! ;)

C6T. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

32 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

After a few sessions running by myself just to get used to Forza again last night, I tried a race this morning. 24 various touring cars, all near enough the same in terms of performance. 6 laps of Brands.

Well, the AI had me well and truly stumped. Outdragging me on the straights (an identical Merc!) , despite me getting on the power first, but so slow on the apexes of corners you can't help but rear end them. I had my braking spots and apex speeds pretty nailed from the practice I'd done, so it seems the game has the AI set to be too slow through the corners. When I did Spa after (again 24 BTCC/ WTCC cars) Eau Rouge was virtually undrivable mid - pack as everyone slowed down so much. Running at the head of the pack I was a good 30 mph quicker through there, didn't come off and took the perfect line through the corners. And still got caught by another BTCC car at the end of the straight!

When you do inevitably make contact, there's no crumple or give in the bodywork, it's like both cars have a magnet to repel each other. They shoot away and I drop backwards. And I'm not talking a closing speed of 50 mph, this was a gentle kiss on the straight. The AI doesn't seem to adapt to having cars around it either, seems they just drive what to them is an ideal line and stay glued to it. 

And because there's no qualifying, you always start well down the pack. I was 18th.

I think I've just remembered why I got bored of Forza before...

Back to the rallying for me I reckon

Jo

The AI isn't much cop in GTSport either tbh Jo. I only tend to use the game offline to practice circuits and solo time trail (which is of course what rallying is).

Online races is where it's at and when everyone plays fair I've had some cracking on track battles. 

C6T. 

• Like 1

Question.

The Witcher 3 is to be released on Switch imminently. I don't decry that decision, more power to the cult of Geralt and Nintendo, but do you believe a 200+ hour one-player action RPG title can "work" on the system, given its usp of essentially mobile (console) gaming with friends?

Admittedly I'm late to the Witcher party, but I know I'm gonna need to be plonked in my armchair with snacks and mug of char to hand for a proper sesh'. Similarly I couldn't imagine playing Deus Ex or Mass Effect without being immersed in my comfy gaming "nest". Aim, shoot, kill, nom-nom, slurp, save...continue. 

Or am I being disingenuous to the Switch?

Discuss. C6T. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Classsix T said:

Question.

The Witcher 3 is to be released on Switch imminently. I don't decry that decision, more power to the cult of Geralt and Nintendo, but do you believe a 200+ hour one-player action RPG title can "work" on the system, given its usp of essentially mobile (console) gaming with friends?

Admittedly I'm late to the Witcher party, but I know I'm gonna need to be plonked in my armchair with snacks and mug of char to hand for a proper sesh'. Similarly I couldn't imagine playing Deus Ex or Mass Effect without being immersed in my comfy gaming "nest". Aim, shoot, kill, nom-nom, slurp, save...continue. 

Or am I being disingenuous to the Switch?

Discuss. C6T. 

I would imagine on a long public transport commute it would be great, same sort of use the Vita could be used for.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Classsix T said:

I hadn't thought of that, or long journeys, flights etc Martin. 

Keep the kids quiet in the back of the car wouldn't it?! 

In my defence, my train commute is only six minutes long! 

C6T. 

Great on long trips, DSs, PSPs Vitas, keeeps them quiet.

I have to drive my commute but I occasionally go home via a BOAT for a change.

[rant mode on] 

Flaming BT. A month ago I put in an online line fault report and after what seemed like total inaction on Tuesday this week I phoned (not speaking to any human by the way) punching digits to reinforce that the line is still up the poke.

Today I got an email from Vodafone informing me that I'm eligible for discount on (a considerably less costly) home landline and broadband package. Literally seconds after some queries and hanging up with VF, BT text me to say that the line is now fixed.

Jesus! The BT online fault reporting is obviously cobblers. I might add that no telecoms engineer entered the property either so it was patently the infrastructure at fault.

Not been home yet to check all is well, but I'm in that strange mindplace of satisfaction in having something sorted yet furious it's been an absolute ballache resolution.

C6T. [rant mode off] 

I'm more "guhhng" than "gurrrh" about all this, but if you're paying someone for a service surely the least you can expect is delivery? The First World dream, Shirley? 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Addendum.

I apparently am back online, so thanks BT for being arsed to do what you're paid to do. 

The PS4 is now OS updating and then I shall have The Last of Us Remastered thankyouverymuch. I'll see what I've missed on GTSport later. 

Here's a thing. I always vowed I'd never be a slave to technology, I so f***ing am. I disgust myself! 

C6T. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It is of some relief to see that The Outer Worlds (released this Friday, Switch later) looks as if it'll be a game I should thoroughly enjoy.

That'll do nicely as a filler for the three weeks, including one off work, before Jedi Fallen Order comes out ^_^

C6T. 

Oops!

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/google-stadia-shipments-may-not-arrive-on-launch-day-even-for-founders-edition-pre-orders/

It's not a Kotaku link, so shutyerface. 

We've not mentioned Stadia much (if at all) in t'Lounge. What's your take friends?

I'm of the opinion it's attempting the possibility of cloud server data offloading, which on the face of it sounds pretty cool, especially given our recent discourse of file sizes etc. But given the grief I alone have had lately securing a stable Internet (in a G7 country), I fear the vagaries of data delivery will mean poor initial take-up for all but those with a rock solid connection to the Web.

We have discussed elimination of physical media previously, PC playing Loungers stating most if not all of their games are downloaded. But once done, the data is yours, right, you can play offline? 

So Stadia is Netflix, but games? 

Pay an initial cost for controller and dongle and a subscription fee...ok gotcha. 

No internet, tough. 

Like only a fraction of the games available, tough. 

Exclusives, meh.

There's also some scoffing in some quarters at what Google is promising as server lag avoiding pre-emptive gameplay. Basically the server will calculate any controller input you might possibly make and deliver the subsequent outcome to your screen. At 60fps.

Okey dokey. I'd be interested in how that pans out.

I don't doubt the idea is sound, but like so many great ideas before it, wonder if the world is currently prepared for it. 

C6T.