Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

GWR/BR Castle Class fire iron tunnel - pictures sought

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have a decent picture showing the top of a "Castle" fire iron tunnel please? I'm trying to establish how much of a gap there is (if any), between the tunnel's top surface and firebox cladding.

Regards

Dan

There is a fairly substantial gap between the tunnel and the firebox, certainly wider than the tunnel itself.

https://locoyard.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/079-2014-autumn-steam-gala-watercress-line-ropley-ex-gwr-castle-class-5029-nunney-castle.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gIgooFeF2Mo/maxresdefault.jpg

With 8 of the class in preservation, maybe taking a tape measure to one is the best solution if you need an exact measurement. There are a couple at Didcot and the GWS are normally happy for people to examine their stock provided it is not in steam at the time.

Edited by Karhedron

• RMweb Gold

There is a fairly substantial gap between the tunnel and the firebox, certainly wider than the tunnel itself.https://locoyard.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/079-2014-autumn-steam-gala-watercress-line-ropley-ex-gwr-castle-class-5029-nunney-castle.jpghttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/gIgooFeF2Mo/maxresdefault.jpgWith 8 of the class in preservation, maybe taking a tape measure to one is the best solution if you need an exact measurement. There are a couple at Didcot and the GWS are normally happy for people to examine their stock provided it is not in steam at the time.

Nice pictures Karhedron, but it's not gap between the angled section and firebox I'm interested in, but the top of the section between the splashers. I've got a view taken from above footplate level somewhere, but can't find it at present!

Regards

Dan

Hi All,

I’m on the case - pictures to follow after the next No. 4079 working party day unless anyone else can get there sooner of course!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi Dan

I was at Didcot working yesterday and took this picture. I think it shows what you want i.e. that there is no gap between the tunnel and the cladding.

Regardspost-11352-0-40249200-1526417742_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Conflat
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Who’s been on our Castle? I recognise that rusty handrail! Nice job Conflat.

Just to finish off the good work, here is the view from No. 4079 again...

post-14393-0-15209600-1526913600_thumb.jpeg

...and here is the view from No. 5051.

post-14393-0-89470500-1526913648_thumb.jpeg

The gap pretty much isn’t one (!) and it is a real pain in various anatomical areas to fit cladding after the boiler has been placed in the frames in the way we have to do it at DRC with the 50 ton lifting shop crane. Remember - we don’t have road access, so it’s the single point lift or nothing. Guess where the balance point of a boiler is? Just in front of the firebox which is where the tunnel is... Grrrrr! You can fit cladding pretty much everywhere else except that bit and when you are juggling the ceramic wool lagging too it adds an extra fun factor! At least we are only paying for the maintenance and insurance on the crane though!

The tool tunnel on No. 5051 has been there since her construction but No. 4079’s was fitted in the 1930s. Other nerdy details to look at in this respect is that No. 4079 no longer has the vertical brass heading to the front face of the cab. These were lost when the tool tunnel was fitted.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to both Conflat and Castle - the pictures are a great help. I certainly didn't know there was a piece of angle between the tunnel and firebox cladding, so I'll have a stab at representing that too.

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/05/2018 at 21:54, Conflat said:

Hi Dan

I was at Didcot working yesterday and took this picture. I think it shows what you want i.e. that there is no gap between the tunnel and the cladding.

Regardspost-11352-0-40249200-1526417742_thumb.jpeg

On 21/05/2018 at 15:50, Castle said:

Hi All,

Who’s been on our Castle? I recognise that rusty handrail! Nice job Conflat.

Just to finish off the good work, here is the view from No. 4079 again...

post-14393-0-15209600-1526913600_thumb.jpeg

...and here is the view from No. 5051.

post-14393-0-89470500-1526913648_thumb.jpeg

The gap pretty much isn’t one (!) and it is a real pain in various anatomical areas to fit cladding after the boiler has been placed in the frames in the way we have to do it at DRC with the 50 ton lifting shop crane. Remember - we don’t have road access, so it’s the single point lift or nothing. Guess where the balance point of a boiler is? Just in front of the firebox which is where the tunnel is... Grrrrr! You can fit cladding pretty much everywhere else except that bit and when you are juggling the ceramic wool lagging too it adds an extra fun factor! At least we are only paying for the maintenance and insurance on the crane though!

The tool tunnel on No. 5051 has been there since her construction but No. 4079’s was fitted in the 1930s. Other nerdy details to look at in this respect is that No. 4079 no longer has the vertical brass heading to the front face of the cab. These were lost when the tool tunnel was fitted.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Is there any chance that these photos could be reloaded please? I have a fireiron tunnel to construct for my conversion of an Airfix 4073 into 7013 Bristol Castle. Thanks.