00 scale heavy haulage

wilwahabri

I am in the process of building a layout based on a real location, Bridestowe Station, but as a fictional railway preservation society, as that allows me to run what I like! not necessarily SR.

As such I would like to incorporate a heavy haulage item, a loco or carriage being delivered by road on a heavy haulage rig, something along the lines of Scammell or AEC ballasted truck, 60 foot low loader, Scammell or AEC ballasted truck as seen on the roads in the 50's. there seems to be a dearth of models of this type on the market, the only low loaders being about 20 feet scale length.

Has anyone else tried this? or know where I can find the components to make up this rig?

Edited by wilwahabri

I am in the process of building a layout based on a real location, Bridestowe Station, but as a fictional railway preservation society, as that allows me to run what I like! not necessarily SR.

As such I would like to incorporate a heavy haulage item, a loco or carriage being delivered by road on a heavy haulage rig, something along the lines of Scammell or AEC ballasted truck, 60 foot low loader, Scammell or AEC ballasted truck as seen on the roads in the 50's. there seems to be a dearth of models of this type on the market, the only low loaders being about 20 feet scale length.

Has anyone else tried this? or know where I can find the components to make up this rig?

Hi, have you looked at Langley Models, they do quite a few kits from the era you describe? You may need to do some scratchbuilding otherwise but Langley may be able to provide useful wheels/bogue components. That said it was pretty unusualnto move locos by road in the 50s and 60s.

• Like 1

Hi, have you looked at Langley Models, they do quite a few kits from the era you describe? You may need to do some scratchbuilding otherwise but Langley may be able to provide useful wheels/bogue components. That said it was pretty unusualnto move locos by road in the 50s and 60s.

What Rob said, in the early days of preservation, there was often a remaining rail link to the surviving network, such that most bigger items of rolling stock arrived by rail.  Only really in later decades did the low-loader come into its own.

Oxford Diecast Diamond T  or Scammell Pioneer would fit the bill perfectly.

The Diamond T comes in civvy liveries and the Pioneer can be had with a chariot style body in fairground  guise which could easily be modified .

These were the main heavy haulage tractors in the fifties and still seen up to about 1970.

Possibly The Diamond T tank transporter trailer could be modded for railway stock .

http://www.na3t.org/road/photo/Hu05369

http://one32.co.uk/en/oxford-diecast-vehicles-176/2331-oxford-176-wynns-heavy-haulage-diamond-t-ballast-truck.html

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

this might be a bit coarse, but how about the "models of yesteryear" scammell 100 ton truck

https://www.chezbois.com/non_corgi/matchbox/Model_23006.htm

i believe its 1:76

aledgedly still working in the 50s https://www.pinterest.com/pin/503840277044638124/

coat with lots of dirt and rust to make it look at the end of its life

for heavy haulage kits, dont forget the military modeling sites for ex WWII hardware

if the link to the existing network argument is justfied, how about carrying an old coach body that has been resting in someones garden as a shed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

this might be a bit coarse, but how about the "models of yesteryear" scammell 100 ton truck

https://www.chezbois.com/non_corgi/matchbox/Model_23006.htm

i believe its 1:76

aledgedly still working in the 50s https://www.pinterest.com/pin/503840277044638124/

coat with lots of dirt and rust to make it look at the end of its life

for heavy haulage kits, dont forget the military modeling sites for ex WWII hardware

if the link to the existing network argument is justfied, how about carrying an old coach body that has been resting in someones garden as a shed.

Regretably the Matchbox MoY Scammell 100-tonner is a much larger scale than 1/76, nearer to 1/60. I did attempt to kitbash/scratchbuild one in 1/76 many years ago using bits from several Airfix military models, not completed regretably and I no longer have it. FYI it was based on the Scammell tank transporter, for the front wheels I used those from the German Anti-tank gun and the rear wheels from a Russian T-34 tank. The rear of the chassis was the steering tail from the WW1 tank.

I've got a DVD of early 70's East Anglian branch lines, part of the film shows a a J94 being delivered some where with a very nice Atkinson Venturer and a twin axle low lowered . Langle models do a 70t 3 axle G171 with the Venturer doable with Road Transport Images cab and 6×4 chassis .

post-13564-0-89778900-1527452976_thumb.jpg

ERF but this gives you an idea,

post-13564-0-78378800-1527453597.jpg

Worth remembering that if the presevered line had a rail conection BR were quite happy to drag your loco or stock around the network for reasonable fee.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 2

I've got a DVD of early 70's East Anglian branch lines, part of the film shows a a J94 being delivered some where with a very nice Atkinson Venturer and a twin axle low lowered . Langle models do a 70t 3 axle G171 with the Venturer doable with Road Transport Images cab and 6×4 chassis .

attachicon.gif14647660365_325e1b6a54_b.jpg

ERF but this gives you an idea,

attachicon.gifeski-kamyonlar_323175.jpg

Worth remembering that if the presevered line had a rail conection BR were quite happy to drag your loco or stock around the network for reasonable fee.

A cheaper and quicker way to make that Venturer would be to get an Oxford Diecast Borderer and AEC tipper, cut them both in half and splice the rear bogie of the latter to the front of the former. As a bonus you can make an AEC tractor unit from the leftovers. The Stobart versions are cheap at the moment thanks to the big Atlas Editions sell-off.

• Like 1

This film shows two Pickfords Scammell Constructors with a Crane trailer moving The Royal Scot in 1963 .

This exact Pickfords Scammell  outfit has been modelled by Corgi and Matcbox but alas not in 00 scale.

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks one and all, seems like it is never easy to get what you want. Ah well if it's worth doing...... although living in Singapore there are exactly 3 model shops none of which have a great range of products and the price is about 3 times the UK price!

I have managed to lay hands on two Hornby Skale Auto "Pickford's" Scammell Contractor crew cab ballasted tractors, now apparently out of production. I will scratchbuild a similar low loader to the Langley 100 ton girder type, but extended to accommodate a coach Approx 265mm over the bed.

My layout is actually present day, as a preserved railway, the home of the mythical West Devon Railway Preservation Society, which allows me to run what I like including locos and railcars that were never preserved. Being a society of considerable means, they have also purchased the necessary road transport vehicles of the period they are interested in to allow them to move equipment to and from the site. I may use the Langley bolster bogies as a base for the low loader. They are 1/76 scale and will match the Contractors. All painted up in Pickford's blue. This is probably going to take some time but I will post pictures when done.

I also have a couple of variants of Scammell Scarabs from Ledo limited edition in BR colours also in 1/76 scale, but am looking for one or two of the earlier Scammell 6hp Mechanical Horses in GWR colours