RMweb

Analogue controller question

We are starting a family project to convert a baseboard 6x4 layout to a larger permanent set up.

We will be running multiple locos mostly on closed loops with isolating points. We are more interested in landscaping with trains looping round mainly for extra visual interest. As there won’t be a lot of points activity I have ruled out digital control because of cost.

I am expecting around 6 loops of track all running. Will a line of standard Hornby analogue controllers do the job or is it worth investing in something which can control everything from one unit. If so, any recommendations please?

Thanks S.

• RMweb Gold

Can fully endorse Gaugemaster gear from practical experience on a wide variety of models from old Hornby-Dublo on my former layout to the most recent stock.

• Like 1

...I have ruled out digital control because of cost. I am expecting around 6 loops of track all running. Will a line of standard Hornby analogue controllers do the job or is it worth investing in something which can control everything from one unit...

You might want to make a price comparison of the cost of a single DCC system and six decoders, against whatever DC controller combinations will provide six independent controlled outputs

You might want to make a price comparison of the cost of a single DCC system and six decoders, against whatever DC controller combinations will provide six independent controlled outputs

Hornby HM 2000, is worth a look. many on ebay. For older locos that need more power, Hamment and Morgan, Duette, or clipper, another good choice. john

Looking around on the second hand stalls, the duette seems to sell for around£15 in mint condition.

When hell freezes over it will be because the duette has finally failed.

They have the advantage of having all the mains wiring safely boxed away and have the auxiliary take offs for points or signals.

That said I still rely on my collection of ancient ECM compspeeds.

Have used Gaugemaster controllers for years without any problems.

In the (very) unlikely event of them going wrong, Gaugemaster will fix them for free. Provided, of course, it's not been fiddled with.

steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

6 loops, by which I think you mean 6 separate continuous runs so that you can watch 6 trains running through the scenery, will mean 6 separate controllers in analogue, so even that famous confirmed Luddite Johnster would endorse 34C's recommendation to cost things out before making a decision; DCC may turn out to be preferable costwise.  

Other than that, you probably don't need handheld controllers as you will be mostly just sitting back and watching the trains.  Guagemaster are the most easily available analogue controllers deez daze, and are bombproof reliable and not horribly expensive.  I have no experience of Morley but they look well made.  H & M have been mentioned, again bombproof but you might find the improvement in performance of modern controllers worth the extra and buying secondhand is always a bit of a faff.  They look magnificent, though; hammered steel grey casings and traditional British, dammit Carruthers, styling.  The sort of thing that you expect to momentarily dim the lights of a medium sized city when you turn it on and the grid takes a second or two to recover...

Look at Morley, as well, as they come with Handhelds, as well. Very useful for walking around layout. john

If you want a single unit to control a number of loops then a Morley Vortrak with four separate knobs is ideal.   The Morley has hand helds which use ordinary Din plugs from memory and yo can extend them almost indefinitely, ours are 3 metres plus.  Big drawback with other two or four track units is remembering which track is which and you can't easily have more than one person operating.

Apart from Morleys using the hand helds I would stick with a bunch of wall warts or other cheap controllers, that way each family member can have their own controller, I use three or four triang controllers on our holiday floor layout, including two on one track when triple heading Transcontinental trains (Dont try that with a Morley)

Apart from the Morley and following bad experiences with Duettes etc  I would only advise the use of individual controllers.  Plug them all into a six way adaptor so you don't forget one and leave it on 24/7...

Dont agree about using Morley hand held. I find them in valuable. You can buy extentions for them. I have layout round the outside of room, some 40 feet, and can walk round with the trains, as necessary. Guagemaster, also do hand held. john

• RMweb Gold

I should add that I use a Gaugemaster handheld powered by the 16v AC output of a very old Gaugemaster single knob power controller, and I find it absolutely ideal for my purposes, giving very good slow control on a variety of locos ranging from very early Airfix 61xx to Hornby 2721 and current production Hornby and Bachmann.  I am almost unaware of it's existence when I am using it, which is as good a measure of it's quality and ergonomic excellence as any.  It is almost as if the locos move according to my mental bidding...

In response to,your original question the standard Hornby controllers are not really up to continual usage I tried them originally but they soon broke I now use guagemaster transformers with handheld controllers

As there won’t be a lot of points activity I have ruled out digital control because of cost.

I don't disagree with you ruling out DCC but your reasoning makes no sense. Pointwork is of little relevance. DCC is all about the driving experience. YOu drive the train, not what's on the track. This may seem like splitting hairs, but it makes a big difference to the driving feel.

But having said that, it still may not be for you.

As mentioned earlier, old H&M controllers are reliable but slow speed control is poor. 0-40 is instantaneous & only then do you get control. Gaugemaster give you nice & smooth slow acceleration from a standstill & are pretty reliable. If they ever do fail, they come with a lifetime guarantee: they get repaired with no fuss.

If all you want to do is have trains circulating at more or less constant speed, old H&M resistance controllers bought cheap will do the job reliably for not much money. If you want to be able to shunt and fiddle at low speeds, the Gaugemaster or Morley options will do it much better but will cost quite a lot more. If you want reasonable performance for pennies, buy a soldering iron, some strip board and a handful of electronic components, find one of the many circuit diagrams available on the Web (including in this forum) and have some fun and education building your own.