Bogie Gas Tank wagon at Manningham 1955 is it LNWR

Hi,

I was not aware that the LMW (or any other company!) used bogie gas tank wagons to move gas around.  I knew the 4 and 6 wheelers were built using second hand underframes and to me this looks like  LNWR type bogies (as used on some bogie bolsters)

Can anyone confirm its identity please?

post-4594-0-14606000-1526060895_thumb.jpg

Cheers Tony

• Like 1

I don't think it is LNWR.

The bogies look similar to those under a Dia 107 Timber trolly, BUT the distance to the far wheel(s) just visible, is to short.
There's nothing in the LNWR Wagon books otherwise to suggest it's LNWR.

Is the loco an Aspinal Class 5 2-4-2T 5079X, or a GWR Castle?

Meanwhile, all E.& O.E.  :O

I don't think it is LNWR.

The bogies look similar to those under a Dia 107 Timber trolly, BUT the distance to the far wheel(s) just visible, is to short.

There's nothing in the LNWR Wagon books otherwise to suggest it's LNWR.

Is the loco an Aspinal Class 5 2-4-2T 5079X, or a GWR Castle?

Meanwhile, all E.& O.E.  :O

Definitely not a GWR Castle.

Hi,

I was not aware that the LMW (or any other company!) used bogie gas tank wagons to move gas around.  I knew the 4 and 6 wheelers were built using second hand underframes and to me this looks like  LNWR type bogies (as used on some bogie bolsters)

Cheers Tony

On the Southern Railway, as with many lines, the gas tank wagons they inherited were mainly originally mounted on second-hand carriage chassis, often of considerable antiquity. As these slowly disintegrated, the tanks were placed onto slightly newer chassis, until by 1945 at least two were mounted on bogie frames. According to Kidner, another three new bogie tank wagons were built by BR around 1950. i'm not suggesting the photo is of one of them, but no doubt similar processes might have occurred in other areas.

The tanks look very similar to those on gas wagons built at Derby in the Midland and LMS wagon books. Symmetry would suggest at least another two fifths of the wagon is hidden behind the loco, so the apparent other end wheels under the locos buffer beam may be something else. 

The tanks look very similar to those on gas wagons built at Derby in the Midland and LMS wagon books. Symmetry would suggest at least another two fifths of the wagon is hidden behind the loco, so the apparent other end wheels under the locos buffer beam may be something else. 

Axlebox covers certainly look more 'Midland' than 'North Western' ........ but, as Nick suggests, the vehicle could have undergone any number of reconstructions since it was first created, 

• 3 years later...
On 25/05/2018 at 16:57, Enterprisingwestern said:

Could it be a fuel oil wagon?

Oxford depot had a similar twin tank wagon, albeit on a 4 wheel underframe ISTR up until the 1980's.

Mike.

While researching the passenger train formation for the Aire Valley Line a service to Carlisle is shown as having a gas tank sent from Manning ham attached.

Another service is show as transporting two empty tanks from Carlisle back to Manningham so I suspect this is what the document was referring to.

On 25/05/2018 at 16:57, Enterprisingwestern said:

Could it be a fuel oil wagon?

Oxford depot had a similar twin tank wagon, albeit on a 4 wheel underframe ISTR up until the 1980's.

Mike.

Mike,

I think it would be too heavy if it was a fuel wagon.

Tony

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1