The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Identify this ship?

Tim V

One of my father's slides, taken in Malta in 1959. Someone has identified it as HMS Belfast, which according to Wikipedia, could have been there. Having visited the Belfast, I am not so sure, the towers on either side I can't see in other historic pictures. What do you think?

post-7177-0-63680800-1526563775_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I thought it could have been one of the 2 Colony class cruisers in commision during 1959, HMS Gambia and HMS Bermuda, but the Colony class cruisers had transom [ flat ] sterns.

So that only leaves HMS Belfast, so it must her.

Keith.

• Like 1

Then how about those two towers - I think they are for radar?

Possibly connected to Fire Control of the Anti-Aircraft guns on that side of the ship. The Wikipedia article on HMS Bermuda says that she, and Gambia, were fitted with American Type 63 directors for the four-inch AA guns in 1956. Is it possible Belfast had also been so-fitted, but that the equipment was removed when she was paid-off?

Incidentally, I remember seeing Bermuda being scrapped at T W Ward's yard at Briton Ferry in late 1965.

• RMweb Gold

Not BELFAST as the vessel in the photograph has a tripod mainmast, whilst the former had two lattice masts post rebuild.

My money is on SHEFFIELD or BIRMINGHAM.

According to the Wiki entries (yes, I know!) HMS Sheffield went into reserve in January 1959 but HMS Birmingham was serving in the Med in 1959 finally paying-off at Devonport in the December of that year.  HMS Belfast recommissioned at Devonport in May 1959 after an extensive updating during which she lost her tripod masts and arrived at Singapore in mid December,  the AA directors do not appear to be correct for Belfast post that updating and she had of course also lost her tripod main mast by the time she was at sea in 1959.

Two Colony class cruisers would appear to have been serving in the Mediterranean during at least part of 1959 but as all ships in the class had cruiser sterns this is clearly not one of them.

As there were no other Town Class cruisers in commission in 1959 the photograph would appear to show HMS Birmingham.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just found another picture, similar time. Different ship?

attachicon.gifMalta AA2 (10).jpg

My money goes on HMS Forth, A187, A submarine depot ship she was at Malta in 1959.  The following features are definitely correct for her - the distinctive stern, the funnels, and masts.  The superstructure looks to be a match in so far as any detail can be seen.

• RMweb Gold

Difficult to say on this one.  Clearly two destroyers at the left and although not distinct the shape of the turrets on the nearer one suggests Battle Class which would be correct for the Mediterranean Fleet in 1959 - choice of several available! (the turrets do not look correct for Darings.  The two ships over on the right are obviously landing ships and again that fits with Mediterranean Fleet for that period but not enough detail for my scanty knowledge to suss out which ships they were out of several possibles.

• Like 1

Are you certain that the third photo was taken in 1959? I reckon that the ship on the left is a Bay-class frigate. None were based in the Mediterranean in 1959, but they were in the Far East and could have called at Malta en route back to the UK for decommissioning: HMS Mounts Bay came back in 1960 and HMS St Bride's Bay at the end of 1961 (and definitely stopped off at Malta).

Jim

Are you certain that the third photo was taken in 1959? I reckon that the ship on the left is a Bay-class frigate. None were based in the Mediterranean in 1959, but they were in the Far East and could have called at Malta en route back to the UK for decommissioning: HMS Mounts Bay came back in 1960 and HMS St Bride's Bay at the end of 1961 (and definitely stopped off at Malta).

Jim

1959/1960. No later than 1960, no earlier than 1958 at a pinch.

Jim

It could well be '59 and the Bay class on the left is likely SURPRISE which was CinC Meddy's private gin palace, or to give it's official title "despatch vessel", but in reality it functioned as his personal yacht.

The nearest LST on the right is HMS STALKER which was broken up only a few years ago, the LST with the black hull will be one of that class which was RFA manned, e.g. EMPIRE GULL/KITTIWAKE etc.

• Like 1

It could well be '59 and the Bay class on the left is likely SURPRISE which was CinC Meddy's private gin palace, or to give it's official title "despatch vessel", but in reality it functioned as his personal yacht.

The nearest LST on the right is HMS STALKER which was broken up only a few years ago, the LST with the black hull will be one of that class which was RFA manned, e.g. EMPIRE GULL/KITTIWAKE etc.

While I was aware that Surprise existed, I hadn't realised that she was originally a Bay. The clues for me were the gun mounting in the "B" position (only) and the superstructure being built out to the full width of the hull (several Bays had the area beneath the bridge wings plated in). Here's a nice picture of Surprise: http://www.naval-history.net/Photo15frBaySurprise1NP.JPG (from the page at http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-15Fr-Bay-Surprise.htm).

• Like 2

I think Bon Accord is almost correct, the LST on the right is Striker (wider flying bridge) & the one to the left is Regio (narrow bridge).  Dad served on both.  Regio paid off & returned to UK in September 1959. 

I don't think the photo is later than autumn 1959, when Anzio (wide bridge) replaced Regio. If anyone is interested, I might be able to scan some of Dad's old photos, but they are all small 3 x 2 inch prints, so the detail is not great.

I think the front ship on the left might be Meon, the river class frigate of the amphibious warefare squadron, but it looks a bit large.  That would leave Meon as the rear ship on the left.  Maybe someone can identify them better.

Dad had a wee photo of him driving one of the landing craft, presumably on a picnik banyan, after all he was the surgeon.  He also assisted with the AA guns, good thing they never hit anything as that would have been embarrasisng. 

Edited by duncan