APT-P Photographs

• RMweb Gold

That does look wonderful - I mused on I wonder where the chip would go for DCC ! or just to fit TPWS / GSMR and off you go ....

Thanks for updates and a brilliant job. Recent lower temperatures must have helped the stove enamel process !!  

Robert 

Blimey Me Bri....

That's never the same Power Car from what I took on the Crowdfunding day... that looks the Dogs... mate.

You done the Bogies to... are you going to paint the Springs & Axle boxes to or was that never the case, it looks brand spanking 1981 all over again Brian, what a splendid job you and your team have done.

Question for a future ATP-P Quiz...

How many Litres of Paint did that take including all undercoats etc...

I hope they are paying you good mate, time to ask for a rise...

Regards

Jamie

Hi Brian

What were all the Name of the colours used to Paint the Power Car fully as we see it now...? 

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

No pay unfortunately, it's all voluntary work done by myself, however a group we call the wednesday gang which are our older volunteers, painted the bogies for me as it was coming to close for me to get it finished by August 2nd. So far it's took in litre wise in paint, 7.5 litres of white undercoat, 5 litres dark grey undercoat, 5 litres of dark grey gloss ( Dulux weathershield night jewels 2 ) 7.5 litres light grey ( weathershield Salisbury stones 3), 2.5 litres of red ( hot paprika 4 ) 2.5 litres gloss white, 2.5 litres of gloss yellow, this was used from Williamsons that was for the class 87. Still to get if i have time is light blue for the cardan shaft, orange, red etc.

Brian

Hi all

This is the power car as it is now, painting should be done on Monday with logos going on either same day or before Thursday.

Hi Brian

Looking forward to updating my own Photo Library when I see you, in a weeks times or so time, and it is looking very smart now, if only you could just add it to the original Rake at Crewe, it would look even better mate.

Can you see that ever happening...!?!... I guess not, as a crane would be needed to lift it and to slot it in between the existing Centre Power Car, not to mention extending the rails up a coach length to enable it to look a 7-Car Set...!

Great to see Brian, and will see you soon bud.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi Brian

Looking forward to updating my own Photo Library when I see you, in a weeks times or so time, and it is looking very smart now, if only you could just add it to the original Rake at Crewe, it would look even better mate.

Can you see that ever happening...!?!... I guess not, as a crane would be needed to lift it and to slot it in between the existing Centre Power Car, not to mention extending the rails up a coach length to enable it to look a 7-Car Set...!

Great to see Brian, and will see you soon bud.

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

Even if we could join it to the other set, i wouldn't do it as it would mess my plans up at opening it all up to the public next year, it was never going to be our intentions to join it back with it even if we had room.

It will be opened up inside to show traction motors, tilt pack, control cubicles etc with descriptions on each one, also it won't be where it is now but on the "exhibition " rd so it gives a wider area for pictures as it is at the moment your restricted for getting an end shot from no2 end as it's against the main hall.

Cheers.

Edited by craigy
  • Like 1

Hi Jamie.

Even if we could join it to the other set, i wouldn't do it as it would mess my plans up at opening it all up to the public next year, it was never going to be our intentions to join it back with it even if we had room.

It will be opened up inside to show traction motors, tilt pack, control cubicles etc with descriptions on each one, also it won't be where it is now but on the "exhibition " rd so it gives a wider area for pictures as it is at the moment your restricted for getting an end shot from no2 end as it's against the main hall.

Cheers.

looks gorgeous mate, a real credit to you.

see you from Thursday onwards at Crewe.

• Like 2

The photos show the BT11 solebar end casting upside down on the marking-off table at K & L Steelfounders at Letchworth on 9th April 1976. The design of this casting was the most difficult task I had on the project. It was drawn full size and took 11 A0 sheets to show the amount of detail necessary to define it.

We always had problems finding enough space on APT but here it was more limited than usual in that the top of the casting had to be kept clear of the airspring when the body tilted and the position of the bottom of the casting was determined by the location of the top of the primary spring. This meant that the walls of the casting had to be thick to give the necessary strength. This in turn meant that the cores that made the casting hollow needed a lot of support to withstand the flow of molten metal. The non-circular holes are for the core support and the circular holes are to accommodate the yaw damper. The core support holes were filled by plates welded in later.

The degree of technical and delivery risk on this casting was such that the order was split between two foundries even though it meant paying for two sets of patterns. The other foundry was in Leven in Fife so it meant some long journeys

post-24287-0-10711700-1532983045_thumb.jpg

post-24287-0-14730900-1532983070_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

The photos show the BT11 solebar end casting upside down on the marking-off table at K & L Steelfounders at Letchworth on 9th April 1976. The design of this casting was the most difficult task I had on the project. It was drawn full size and took 11 A0 sheets to show the amount of detail necessary to define it.

We always had problems finding enough space on APT but here it was more limited than usual in that the top of the casting had to be kept clear of the airspring when the body tilted and the position of the bottom of the casting was determined by the location of the top of the primary spring. This meant that the walls of the casting had to be thick to give the necessary strength. This in turn meant that the cores that made the casting hollow needed a lot of support to withstand the flow of molten metal. The non-circular holes are for the core support and the circular holes are to accommodate the yaw damper. The core support holes were filled by plates welded in later.

The degree of technical and delivery risk on this casting was such that the order was split between two foundries even though it meant paying for two sets of patterns. The other foundry was in Leven in Fife so it meant some long journeys

Hi.

Brilliant pictures there, do you have anymore or any i can use for the APT display ? Cheers

Brian

Hi.

Brilliant pictures there, do you have anymore or any i can use for the APT display ? Cheers

Brian

Greetings

Use these pictures as you wish, I do have more which I will post as I find them, scan them and restore them.

Hi.

Brian

Greetings

Use these pictures as you wish, I do have more which I will post as I find them, scan them and restore them.

Hi All

Great photo's and yes 4474, I look forward to seeing more of your photo's as and whenever you are ready to upload them, thank you for sharing those photo's with us all 4474, the more information will can save about this Iconic Train the better... not just for us, here and now but for the generations to follow, it's good that we have the digital age of today for  Scanning and preserving older paper photo's if no negatives have been kept, and as we don't seem to be training the next generation because it's all gone to Europe to be made nowadays, we can only rely on those that were there as history was being written in the making so to speak.

Thanks to Brian, Kit and 4474 for all you input.

Regards

Jamie

Not really on the subject of this thread, but I'll be giving an illustrated short talk on APT tilt systems at the Crewe 30th Anniversary Event this weekend.

It won't be all that technical, just a guide to how and why they did what they did. I'll definitely give the talk on the Saturday, maybe Sunday as well if there's enough demand. 

• Like 1

Hi All

I looking forward to hopefully seeing you all again or for the first time at Crewe Heritage Centre this Thursday 02 August 2018 to Sunday 05 August 2018, I will be there on Thursday and possibly Saturday.

See you there, whoever that may be...

Regards

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Quite a productive day today all outside painting is now complete, pity i couldn't finish it in time for last week, anyways the orange cantrail stripe sets it off well, along with the blue cardan shaft, it should be lighter but still looks ok.
Inside i removed some panels to look at the traction motor complete with makers plate, gear box, traction motor cooler, fault panel, battery iso and fuses, transformers complete with cut cables..grrr, tilt pack and aux cotrol cublicle. All of these will be on show next year along with a few more and also repainted up. Now there's no more APT events coming up i can now concentrate and getting things done a more leisurely pace lol

post-6042-0-72042600-1533845686_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-83958200-1533845697_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-62023300-1533845706_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-17274400-1533845729_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-05171700-1533845739_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-62165600-1533845749_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-02837900-1533845767_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-01496200-1533845785_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-86973400-1533845797_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-94235100-1533845809_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-44698000-1533845827_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-62728100-1533845845_thumb.jpg

post-6042-0-10679300-1533845867_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's a pity the inside isn't as immaculate as the outside, looks ready for service then you open the bonnet and someone has nicked all the wiring.

That's exactly what happened.

When 49006 was at the ERM some ratbags broke in through the fence and nicked large amounts of the cabling, both inside and outside. They obviously targeted 49006 as no other vehicles on the site were touched. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

"Ratbags" is far to kind a word to describe cable thieves, hanging by the cable they stole is about all they deserve.     Even today in South Wales NR staff thwarted a robbery when disturbed cable duct lids spotted near a foot crossing - lids removed every 15 - 20 metres for a good length, ready for a chopping session that would have crippled signalling for hours if not days.

Lovely work on the PC and hopefully cables can be restored and power used.  It would be a dream to see this move - lottery win required I guess. 

Robert     

• Like 1

Think its a group of scum that took the cables

Cables... Universally... Nationally.... Thieved .... Society....

Seems to be a national club these days

When leaving their weekly meetings do they say, See-You-Next-Tuesday ?

Many years ago some steam locos at the K&WVR had various bronze valve castings stolen by similar types that smashed them off the boilers with sledging hammers along with City of Wells driving axle boxes.