TSD's Workbench - SECR and Industrial modelling

• 2 weeks later...

A Manning Wardle Class O belonging to Messrs Logan and Hemingway, doing some final test running after completing the contract to lay the track at Guilford Colliery.

IMG_20240508_090353132.jpg.bc37797a3245a7b360e75e07f3a13f3c.jpg

The livery panels should really have incurved corners, but that's quite tricky to do neatly with this type of transfer. L&H specified open cabs on a lot of their locos (on safety grounds), so I've left off the 'diamond' canopy from this model. I also haven't modified the chassis yet (other than shortening it and repainting), but hopefully will add a flywheel to it at some point just to tame the high gearing the Hornby Terriers come with. The tank is full of lead and the bunker with that 'liquid lead' stuff so it weighs enough.

IMG_20240508_090303921.jpg.2616cca06d9eec7986269ae015e16d21.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

A Manning Wardle Class O belonging to Messrs Logan and Hemingway, doing some final test running after completing the contract to lay the track at Guilford Colliery.

IMG_20240508_090353132.jpg.bc37797a3245a7b360e75e07f3a13f3c.jpg

The livery panels should really have incurved corners, but that's quite tricky to do neatly with this type of transfer. L&H specified open cabs on a lot of their locos (on safety grounds), so I've left off the 'diamond' canopy from this model. I also haven't modified the chassis yet (other than shortening it and repainting), but hopefully will add a flywheel to it at some point just to tame the high gearing the Hornby Terriers come with. The tank is full of lead and the bunker with that 'liquid lead' stuff so it weighs enough.

IMG_20240508_090303921.jpg.2616cca06d9eec7986269ae015e16d21.jpg

That really is a beautiful loco!

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Needs some crew, with that open cab.

I'll get round to it, at some point! People painting is one of my least favourite jobs and I'm a bit low on stock at the moment.

• Like 2

That MW O is a stunning job. It will make a great companion to Sir Berkeley, I would expect.

But what is this about figure painting? I love painting figures. It's my next favourite thing to making my shoddy little cardboard buildings!  Will happily take on other people's loco crews if that helps, indeed, it would get me back into the groove.

Lately I have been limited to modelling from my bed, which has favoured a mediaeval distraction, but I will return to little Edwardians soon...

image.png.43005a285da231552ede2f0e393bfeb4.png

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

But what is this about figure painting? I love painting figures.

It's just one of my many modelling weaknesses! Painting in general isn't one of my favourite jobs, and on locos/buildings etc. I can usually either cheat by using transfers or use masking tape and spray cans. The precision needed for small organic shapes like people tends to evade me unfortunately...

Wishing you a speedy recovery

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Like James @Edwardian, figure painting together with modelling inter-war AFVs are my secondary hobbies. I was a military modeller before I turned to railway modelling and so feel quite at home with sable brushes, turps and oil or enamel paints - oh yes, my techniques are strictly old-school in all aspects of modelling !

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2