Ayr Model Rail Exhibition 15+16 September 2018

Lowlander

I took the family on Sunday morning and really enjoyed it, not quite the quantity of layouts compared to SEC or Perth, but just the right size before children got bored. Every layout was worth looking at, some friendly chat and a surprising amount of traders - including one from the south coast? Dunno how the journey was worth their while, but good to see them. Particularly as they were selling everything on my shopping list.

• Like 1

Ayr MRG consistently put on a good show and attract quality layouts which is all important.

This years show was excellent with some fine layouts not least the groups own Pathead which impressed with some beautifully weathered locos.

Blair Atholl I was pleased to see again because I was a bit unimpressed with the running when I saw it at Perth last year but it performed well at Ayr and the attention to detail on the trackside is superb.

Always nice to come home having learnt something new..and I did just this when the secret of the superb lineside post and wire fencing on Blair..about a scale mile no doubt when its added up..was revealed.

Thanks Simon for imparting to the inquisitive what is a simple but very effective way to construct such things.

The other fine layouts and some good trade completed a nice quality show which is an example to others.

I spent over £100 on items that I apparently needed..always a sign of a good show.

Well done.

Dave.

• Like 1

We went on Saturday and ended up parking up the road a bit as the car park was packed.

Excellent show.

Enjoyed “Pathhead” especially liked the sound fitted locos, added another dimension to the layout, its a shame Blair Atholl hasn’t gone down the sound route.

I do think that DCC sound really makes a layout stand out.

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX

We went on Saturday and ended up parking up the road a bit as the car park was packed.

Excellent show.

Enjoyed “Pathhead” especially liked the sound fitted locos, added another dimension to the layout, its a shame Blair Atholl hasn’t gone down the sound route.

Neil

Its not DCC but there were a few locos on Blair that were sound fitted.. a 20 whistled past me with convincing sound.

Big Mike B told me it was witchcraft.

Dave. 

• RMweb Premium

Excellent show.

Neil

What’s good for some is not for others. I’m not bothered about sound, in fact can find it irritating . Trains did not sound their horns as much as they do on DCC layouts and these whistling 20s or chirping 66s can be a right pain, especially if there’s a short and we all start up again. That said I thought the sound on Pathhead was very good. Just the right level to be interesting but not obtrusive . I did like the screaming valentas of the HST , I thought pretty realistic.

Blair Athol is much more of a scenic masterpiece . I don’t think it needs sound , it’s the visual aspect that counts here.

Hi

I'm enjoying reading the comments regarding the exhibition. Especially about our layout Pathhead and dcc sound. We've standardised on Leggomanbiffo sounds for 99% of the fleet. Long gone are the original Bachmann class 20's (much to relief of local dog owners). We do tend to play to the gallery with the horn sounds. Especially if there are kids there. I'll apologise if you were there on the Sunday afternoon. There was a small boy with double hearing aids. And everytime a train passed I toothed the horns on whichever loco were running. His face was a picture as he turned everytime to his dad with a huge smile. Usually we tend to just do it when passing either the signalbox or another loco. Some of our n'gauge members are experimenting with sound. So that could be interesting for future exhibitions.

Blair Atholl is visually stunning and would be interesting to see/hear what a difference the addition of sound locos would make. Especially a thirty seven rumbling through that lovely station. I'm not sure that the layout is wired for dcc though.

Parking is always going to be a problem at this venue. Unfortunately. But it is the only hall suitable in the area. I would agree that Sunday morning is the best time to visit as there are less events taking place in the main Citadel centre itself. So hopefully parking shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again

Stephen

Exhibition Manager.

• Like 1

Excellent show.

Neil

Neil...We will keep chivvying Ian about DCC and sound....don't worry! 

Ayr MRG consistently put on a good show and attract quality layouts which is all important.

This years show was excellent with some fine layouts not least the groups own Pathead which impressed with some beautifully weathered locos.

Blair Atholl I was pleased to see again because I was a bit unimpressed with the running when I saw it at Perth last year but it performed well at Ayr and the attention to detail on the trackside is superb.

Always nice to come home having learnt something new..and I did just this when the secret of the superb lineside post and wire fencing on Blair..about a scale mile no doubt when its added up..was revealed.

Thanks Simon for imparting to the inquisitive what is a simple but very effective way to construct such things.

The other fine layouts and some good trade completed a nice quality show which is an example to others.

I spent over £100 on items that I apparently needed..always a sign of a good show.

Well done.

Dave.

Always a pleasure to stop and chat Dave. I think I did mainly chatting as couldn't get Ronnie and Callum and Moysie off the panel..... suits me!