• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul your baseboard size is ample for the type of layout you are going to build. Hope to see more of your venture into 7mm scale. 

My eyesight is starting to let me down on smaller scale modelling so I think O gauge is around the corner from me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2018 at 20:10, PaulBee said:

Hello All,

I’ve been following members workbench and layout activities for many years now and I’ve dreamt of starting a project of my own. The dreams started small, but always grew to epic proportions (soon outgrowing the very, very limited space and budget available), then vanished as nothing more than a pipe dream. I never got further than the dream although I once sketched something on paper!

So, in an effort to avoid yet another false start I’ve decided to record my first railway modelling adventure here. I wanted something I stand a chance of completing while learning some modelling skills along the way and something to use when completed.

Hopefully in this post I’ve included a few pictures of my first steps. So far I’ve only managed to buy a cheap box, make a board to fit inside and mock up my idea in scrap cardboard.

I’m probably being a bit over optimistic with the space available but at the moment I’m trying to squeeze a 5,3,3 shunting puzzle in to the space (725mm (l) x 230mm (w) x 145mm (h))with the help of a removable sector plate. Once I get track and a few items of rolling stock I may have to downgrade this to a 3,2,2

Either way I hope to end up with a functioning shunting puzzle that will be easy to store, keep covered when not in use and allow me to learn some modelling skills.

Any input with be most welcome.

Thanks

Paul

post-15040-0-23571000-1529435070_thumb.jpeg

post-15040-0-71672700-1529435140_thumb.jpeg

post-15040-0-14859200-1529435203_thumb.jpeg

post-15040-0-55247600-1529435220_thumb.jpeg

Liking the upside down box approach. Innovative and an idea for many of us to remember and use for future micro-layout projects.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, john new said:

Liking the upside down box approach. Innovative and an idea for many of us to remember and use for future micro-layout projects.

Thanks John, all is not lost with the original idea. I kept the box and sector plate from the original plan and being a little lost for something to do at the weekend, made up a new base board. It's still OO (despite my struggles with the smaller scale) but the track is down and wired and retains the 5 3 3 puzzle layout. At the moment I'm leaning toward a general theme of a run down siding out in the sticks, perhaps serving a mineral mining operation. I'll post pics of early progress at the weekend.

Edited by PaulBee