Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pylons .

54 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I’m after building a couple of Pylons around 1m high on my O gauge Heaton Lodge Junction.

If anyone knows if there is a kit available I’d be grateful.

At the moment I’m scratch building 3 x 1m high marshalling yard lighting gantries.

052FC5D1-74C9-457D-88BD-718F08C0B7F0.jpeg

Are you thinking of pylons from a particular location Simon? I recall there being several near to Ravensthorpe where the lines split to Leeds and Wakefield.

Cheers Paul

• 1 month later...
On 20/01/2022 at 22:15, HeatonLodge40 said:

I’m not too bothered Paul as long as it’s a common prototype. 
The part of the layout I’m working on now is fictitious. Any help much appreciated.

Simon

Ok, have you seen the models that Pylon King has done in OO scale? @pylon king would your PL1 design upscale to O/7mm scale I wonder or is that beyond the realms of modelling?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
6 hours ago, L2's are great! said:

So found this rather interesting set up on the Windyhill-Neilston line. The line is predominantly L2 but i've never seen these river crossing towers before. 

mh4.png

mh5.png

Yes I've noticed those in the past when I did a sweep of the Scottish 275/400kV systems. The first image shows what looks like one of the L2 DT towers but with angled instead of the more familar curved angled crossarm tops. The two crossing towers looks like L6 type origin rather than L8. Have a look at the River Ribble crossing just downstream of Preston to see some L8 river towers.

Cheers Paul

Here's a couple of photos showing the River Swale  at the Isle of Sheppey. Unlike many of you I am not a pylon expert by any stretch of the imagination but I needed to gather enough info to get these models produced.

Paul C  

DSCF1953.thumb.JPG.9c5f92f0568fbec606aebf9fb67e0fad.jpg

DSCF1960.thumb.JPG.b8e15f1ccd4be81a433a5dd7f90baeca.jpg

DSCF9617.thumb.JPG.f2f1a70c55e15936d2fcd3de3ab1d790.jpg

DSCF9626.thumb.JPG.de97a9e9f6e0f8c9634f1ca91f551ade.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

10 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Yes I've noticed those in the past when I did a sweep of the Scottish 275/400kV systems. The first image shows what looks like one of the L2 DT towers but with angled instead of the more familar curved angled crossarm tops. The two crossing towers looks like L6 type origin rather than L8. Have a look at the River Ribble crossing just downstream of Preston to see some L8 river towers.

Cheers Paul

Yeah I feel like the DTs with ommitted curves in the crossarms look slightly better although those are the only 2 i've seen. Yeah i believe id also seen some similar towers on route out of Keadby heading north. Ahh is that the lines from Penwortham up to Hutton/Stanah and Heysham tees ??

So my focus mainly has been the 275KV and 400KV in the highlands and 2 findings from today are this half L3 half L3 Hybrid half deviation tower half DT tower on the Beauly-Blackhillock Stretch. And then whilst following the L2 line between Kaimes and Wishaw it seems to cut right through the black law wind farm just east of Wishaw Substation.

m7.png

m8.png

Edited by L2's are great!
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, L2's are great! said:

Yeah I feel like the DTs with ommitted curves in the crossarms look slightly better although those are the only 2 i've seen. Yeah i believe id also seen some similar towers on route out of Keadby heading north. Ahh is that the lines from Penwortham up to Hutton/Stanah and Heysham tees ??

Yes there are a pair of odd looking river crossing towers over the Trent near to Winterton, not quite L8 as seem to have an extention inserted from what I recall when saw it up close some years ago now with the newer L12s alongside the original L6 line.

Yep the Penw to Hambledon tee and Stanah L8 line has L8 river crossing towers.

So my focus mainly has been the 275KV and 400KV in the highlands and 2 findings from today are this half L3 half L3 Hybrid half deviation tower half DT tower on the Beauly-Blackhillock Stretch. And then whilst following the L2 line between Kaimes and Wishaw it seems to cut right through the black law wind farm just east of Wishaw Substation.

m7.png

m8.png

They have se weird L2 n L3 tower arrangements in Scotland. They don't seem to like using DJT tee towers at all and there are some very odd tee arrangements lol

8 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Yes there are a pair of odd looking river crossing towers over the Trent near to Winterton, not quite L8 as seem to have an extention inserted from what I recall when saw it up close some years ago now with the newer L12s alongside the original L6 line.

Yep the Penw to Hambledon tee and Stanah L8 line has L8 river crossing towers.

Yeah Ive seen those ones and could not tell if it was part of the L12 series or just a modified L8. Ahh yes those L8 river crossing ones are just before Stanah I think and then you have got those pair of L6 C D2 towers with height extensions to cross the River Lune towards Heysham.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

They have se weird L2 n L3 tower arrangements in Scotland. They don't seem to like using DJT tee towers at all and there are some very odd tee arrangements lol

L3s are quite common up there I've found. Between Tealing and Kintore, Beauly and Dounreay and then the odd Hybrid line in between. There are even some beefed up L3 D40ECs just off from Inverness.

• Like 1

Also i've only just discovered that at Hunterston, they've replaced one of the D90s with an L8 DT instead. Luckily they've still got one there 

m9.png

There is this odd looking L2 DT type with pointed end crossarms up near Dalry on Mains Burn lane... the one on the left is an ordinary looking D90 of course. Same two lines coming out of Hunterston.

I think those two new L8s at Hunterston is for the Western HV link scheme?

Screenshot_20220610-121052_Maps.jpg

51 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

There is this odd looking L2 DT type with pointed end crossarms up near Dalry on Mains Burn lane... the one on the left is an ordinary looking D90 of course. Same two lines coming out of Hunterston.

I think those two new L8s at Hunterston is for the Western HV link scheme?

Screenshot_20220610-121052_Maps.jpg

Ah yes, I noticed that when tracking the line from Neilston. The left line to the Neilston-Windyhill tee junction is L8 after that D90 looking left. There's apparently another similar tower at West Burton but used as a DT instead of D10. 

And yeah that right about the L8s at the end of the line. It re routes the left line into Hunterston East substation rather than the orginal Hunterston substation. That connects with the Western HDVC Converter station.

mh3.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, with the impending refurbishment of 4VK from Cottam heading south, and the loss of L6 quad lines going thick and fast. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how long the 4TE line will survive on quad. Are there any known plans for work to start on that line, predominantly the section just west of Cowley up to Northleach??m9.thumb.png.2a2a3ec6e1ba2c96decbc66e6a55e995.png