Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

ZTC 511 Problems

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

This evening I have been trying to recommission my ZTC 511 to use with Wheal Imogen (and prevent me having to keep moving my Powercab between layouts).

The first problem was a loos throttle handle, after modifying an Allen key to fit it was an easy fix.

The other issue is that while the controller works perfectly (or at least as perfectly as a 511 can), the speaker constantly makes a high pitched whining noise whenever it is switched on.

My plan was to dismantle the controller and then chop out the speaker, however after getting access to the innards I couldn't spot the speaker. I also couldn't see any sign of a short circuit.

So I decided to plug it in and listen to where the noise comes from (before introducing the speaker to my Xurons), the only problem was that after its switch on bleeps there was no noise. Excited that I had somehow fixed it without knowing it, I reassembled the case (checking after every screw that the bleep hadn't returned.) It was only when I finally plugged in the screen that it started again, unplug the screen and it stops.

I was wondering if anyone had a clue as to what could be going on, if not if someone could point me in the direction of the speaker please...

In the longer term I have other thoughts for this controller, I love the feel of the system but hate the electricals. Upgrading to a ZTC 611 is a jhell of a lot more £££ for not a huge amount of benefit. What I really want is a PC screen combined with the 511s data input devices, I keep thinking there must be a way with a DAC linked up to the throttle, and taking all the inputs maybe with a Arduino or with the JMRI software...….

One day I will actually look at it a bit more seriously....

post-54-0-15958500-1529876182_thumb.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It doesent have a speaker as such fatadder but a bleeper. its to the immediate bottom right of the two capacitors. (back circle with the hole in the centre.)

Bleepers dont have coils (like loudspeakers) so i dont think this is your issue.

From a system design point of view that's quite possibly the worst place you can have such a component next to all of those higher voltage components which will be dishing out short range interference.

a simple way to silence it rather than removing it might be to cover the hole with some bluetac to see if that makes any difference

However since you say it does it when the screen is plugged in then it sounds like the coil that drives the screen may be faulty or possibly damp, or an inverter if it has one fitted depending on what voltage the screen runs at.

Edited by pheaton

• RMweb Gold

It doesent have a speaker as such fatadder but a bleeper. its to the immediate bottom right of the two capacitors. (back circle with the hole in the centre.)

Bleepers dont have coils (like loudspeakers) so i dont think this is your issue.

From a system design point of view that's quite possibly the worst place you can have such a component next to all of those higher voltage components which will be dishing out short range interference.

a simple way to silence it rather than removing it might be to cover the hole with some bluetac to see if that makes any difference

However since you say it does it when the screen is plugged in then it sounds like the coil that drives the screen may be faulty or possibly damp, or an inverter if it has one fitted depending on what voltage the screen runs at.

Re that last point, what is the coil you refer to?

I assume the only fix here would be buying a replacement screen....    I will try the bluetac and see if it sorts it out

thanks 

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Why not just give Graham a call at Taunton Controls on  01823 327155.

I have tried that route previously, the response being that he is not aware of what would cause that issue and that I was more than welcome to book it in for a service / inspection to investigate further.  At the time I decided it wasnt worth spending the money, as I was planning to buy the upgrade to the 611 spec.  I am still debating if I will go through with this upgrade (now to 612 spec), so its a bit of a wait and see.  I do like the idea of the new flat screen display (which would solve any issue with my dodgy screen.)   The question will remain will I like it enough to part with several hundred pounds...

Re that last point, what is the coil you refer to?

Rich

A regular loudspeaker has a flexible diaphragm operated by a solenoid, i.e. an iron armature inside a coil. The speaker feed makes the solenoid armature oscillate at various rates disturbing the diaphragm and making a racket. A beeper usually has the mechanics of a relay often attached to a diaphragm which chatters at a frequency relative to applied voltage to make a buzz. Piezo buzzers use the voltage to excite a crystal that rattles a diaphragm to make a noise.

It is this coild that is being referred to.

Other speaker/buzzer designs are available.

Rob

I have tried that route previously, the response being that he is not aware of what would cause that issue and that I was more than welcome to book it in for a service / inspection to investigate further.  At the time I decided it wasnt worth spending the money, as I was planning to buy the upgrade to the 611 spec.  I am still debating if I will go through with this upgrade (now to 612 spec), so its a bit of a wait and see.  I do like the idea of the new flat screen display (which would solve any issue with my dodgy screen.)   The question will remain will I like it enough to part with several hundred pounds...

While I agree that cost is to be considered, and as you say, " Do I like it enough"  I have used a 511 from the start over 10 years ago, didn't much take to any of the other manufactures.  Bought the 611 when it came out, use the 511 as a slave.

Personally I like it enough cant wait for the big screen.

You can of course part exchange your 511 for a 611.

By the way, you say your screen is playing up? I have a non back lit  unit you can have it for free if it would be of use.

• RMweb Gold

While I agree that cost is to be considered, and as you say, " Do I like it enough"  I have used a 511 from the start over 10 years ago, didn't much take to any of the other manufactures.  Bought the 611 when it came out, use the 511 as a slave.

Personally I like it enough cant wait for the big screen.

You can of course part exchange your 511 for a 611.

By the way, you say your screen is playing up? I have a non back lit  unit you can have it for free if it would be of use.

I have used it on and off since 2004 (including selling my original back in 2007 and buying a replacement  second hand in 2015.)  If funds are forthcoming when the 612 appears I will almost certainly end up with one, as I much prefer driving with it over my powercab (and my children get on with it a lot better as well.).

That is most generous to offer a spare screen, I would definitely like to take you up on it please.  Hopefully a replacement unit will get rid of the noise!

I have used it on and off since 2004 (including selling my original back in 2007 and buying a replacement  second hand in 2015.)  If funds are forthcoming when the 612 appears I will almost certainly end up with one, as I much prefer driving with it over my powercab (and my children get on with it a lot better as well.).

That is most generous to offer a spare screen, I would definitely like to take you up on it please.  Hopefully a replacement unit will get rid of the noise!

Send me PM with address. If you are quick enough may post Friday. Len.