BR Mk1 Colours

Morning all,

I’ve been looking at sprucing up some of those free maroon mk1 coaches from a few years back and one aspect I’m looking at is the transfers predominantly the ‘C1’ on the coach ends. Looking at photos of the preserved versions (struggling to find any on show in colour from the 60s) they’re painted in white, but most transfers I’ve seen for it are in yellow. In what instances would they have been painted yellow? And does anyone know where you can get white versions from?

TIA

• RMweb Gold

I believe the yellow lettering would have been used on Crimson & Cream and Maroon Mk1 liveries, when the ends were painted black.

White lettering would definitely have been for Blue & Grey livery, but i'm not sure if white lettering would have been used on Maroon Mk1 stock where the ends were also painted Maroon.

I think the yellow C1 was for SR Green liveried stock.

The rest was white I believe with the BR Blue/Grey era one having a tail on the "one".

Fox and Modelmaster make them.

https://modelmaster.uk/4mm-br-1948-1965-coaching-stock-decals/1994-mm4408-c1-restriction-emergency-lighting-point-and-stars-for-solebars-of-mk1-coaches-white.html?search_query=coach&results=44

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers?model_product=1181&p=1&scale=2235&transfer_model_type=2165&transfer_period=2156

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Mmm, some strange suggestions ??!! In Parkins book there are 'C1's on b&c, maroon with black,and maroon ends, with lettering/numbering in all shades of weathered/faded cream.

You're right, I have a copy of the Parkins book as well, and they are all a shade of cream. Probably what I had in my head, rather than yellow. Yellow definitely for on the end of Southern Green Mk1s though....