Upgrading the Oxford (models) Station

Seanem44

Has anyone modified their Oxford station yet that would be willing to share photos?

I just got mine and it's a very nice station, but it does need some work with the paint.  Going to dress mine up for the 40s, so I'm thinking most of the paint will need to be redone, along with singles and chimneys added.  Just looking for some inspiration. 

Edited by Seanem44

Has anyone modified their Oxford station yet that would be willing to share photos?

I just got mine and it's a very nice station, but it does need some work with the paint.  Going to dress mine up for the 40s, so I'm thinking most of the paint will need to be redone, along with singles and chimneys added.  Just looking for some inspiration. 

Page 36 July 2018 Model Rail. I did the whole job, replaced the porch, slated the roof and installed chimney stacks, plus repaint to chocolate and cream and old-style doors. Although the model is based on Moreton-in-Marsh, the brick colour reflects the long-gone version at Shipton-for-Burford, so no need to do anything to the brickwork. (CJL)

• Like 3

Page 36 July 2018 Model Rail. I did the whole job, replaced the porch, slated the roof and installed chimney stacks, plus repaint to chocolate and cream and old-style doors. Although the model is based on Moreton-in-Marsh, the brick colour reflects the long-gone version at Shipton-for-Burford, so no need to do anything to the brickwork. (CJL)

Ill have to pick up the digital copy.  Thanks!  Good to know the colors are good for the 40s.  I think all it really needs now is some dry brushing/weathering.  Though the paint is decent, its a little uneven in some places, and a little thin in others.  My biggest fear were that the colors were off, but from what I've learned in GWR research is that there were no uniform colors when it came to stations and that evens shades of a standard color varied wildly.

Sorry to go off topic but for one wonderful moment I thought that the real Oxford station (in Oxford) was finally being brought into the 21st century, to go with the new signalling and track layout being installed over the two-week closure starting this weekend. I should have known it was too much to expect.

Sorry to go off topic but for one wonderful moment I thought that the real Oxford station (in Oxford) was finally being brought into the 21st century, to go with the new signalling and track layout being installed over the two-week closure starting this weekend. I should have known it was too much to expect.

I can see how this would be confusing...  I should have put "models" in there.

• RMweb Gold

Good to know the colors are good for the 40s.

The colours on the woodwork are actually quite a good representation of light and dark stone. The chocolate and cream Chris used is only suitable for later BR periods.

• Like 1

The colours on the woodwork are actually quite a good representation of light and dark stone. The chocolate and cream Chris used is only suitable for later BR periods.

Yes, the colours aren't bad for 'old' GWR. Unfortunately the details - doors, felt roof, no chimneys - are very much 'new' GWR or actually BR 1967 to the present day. BRWR on this particular buildings was nearly all cream with very little chocolate. The paint finish on the models needs a little tidying up. (CJL)

• Like 1