Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Teenage Confessions

• RMweb Premium

I had a 'Wirbelwind' with knackered wheels and a missing track. My mum found an old Airfix tender on her rounds to the shops.

I imagined myself as a forward thinking Barnes Wallis type of chap after I mounted the turret onto the coal load.

Towed around by a class 47 with a squad of commandos in an 'Arnold sands' wagon.

What a wally.

Bern

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

An attempt at a railmotor in n using a minitrix mk1 coach, and an adjusted fleischmann bo-bo diesel chassis. With 3 link couplings. I never managed to make anything resembling motion that would actually move.

Surely, the point about motion is that it moves...

I don't need my coat, it's a warm day.

Still doing it a small 0-6-0 Waterford, Limerick and Waterford Rly Shannon type loco in 00 converted from a Lima H0 4F and a Hornby tender drive.

post-6220-0-22085300-1530908675.jpg

post-6220-0-00853200-1530908698.jpg

The black bits are the original Lima body.

There is my teenage Cambrian Rlys Sharpie 0-6-0 somewhere, built up from the same start but it contained much more cardboard.

Build thread here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68338-little-0-6-0-from-big-0-6-0/

Edited by relaxinghobby
  • Like 4

How about "sound" to a Hornby class31, done by wiring a second motor robbed out of a Jinty to the motor bogie pickups. I also stuck some sort of flywheel to the XO4, it was off centre so added to the realism(in the mind of a ten year old). Or turning a Mainline 45 into a 44 by sanding(yes sandpaper was used) off the front detail and making the discs from paper out of a hole punch. The same paper discs were glued to a Wrenn class 20.

• Like 4

I did repaint my new Hornby transcontinental diesel switcher (£4.99 from zodiac toys) into BR green and pretended it was a class 20, never thought of headcode discs ;-) Some matching CN wagons were painted BR grey too, think they cost 99p new!!

Edited by kernowtim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I did repaint my new Hornby transcontinental diesel switcher (£4.99 from zodiac toys) into BR green and pretended it was a class 20, never thought of headcode discs ;-) Some matching CN wagons were painted BR grey too, think they cost 99p new!!

I did something similar painted one blue with paper headcode discs I filled the headlights and gave it buffer beams from an airfix tank wagon and for some reason installed a smoke unit which caused the locos demise ......... After filling it with meths!

12x Graham Farish ARC and Yeoman PGAs brush painted white (a bit too thick), the fake aggregate load painted yellow (No masking), and 'British Industrial Sand' hand written on with a very fine black permanent pen..... they're probably in a box around here somewhere. Maybe I'll strip them back down one day and redo them properly.

Fortunately most of my teenage bodgery occurred while I was interested in N, I had the shell of a HST power car that I 'repainted' into into GW Merlin livery using vaguely correct looking colours. It was not good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My first kit bash came as a result of a box of bits given to me by a work mate of my Dad c1963. Amongst the useful bits such as Airfix buildings there was a working Gaiety 0-6-0 chassis and a part built City of Truro kit.

A Collett cab from varnished card and a lot of filler produced a fair representation of a 2251.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I did something similar painted one blue with paper headcode discs I filled the headlights and gave it buffer beams from an airfix tank wagon and for some reason installed a smoke unit which caused the locos demise ......... After filling it with meths!

So, accurate enough had it been a Metrovick, then...

Edited by The Johnster

hi all,

Well my confession here is that the first engine I ever tried to do anything with was with a Triang princess. I butchered up the chassis to a 4-6-0 and then shortened the body to try and make it look line a Black 5. To my untrained child's eyes I thought it looked great. I was 12 at the time. And as the gods and fate would have it about 12 months later Hornby released their Black 5 and showed what a bodge I had made of the engine......... :(

• Like 2

Ten years ago l was raising money for Twickenham Model Railway Club by selling donated items on eBay. Some items were donated by the highly talented leader of our club's 0 gauge layout.

One item dated back to his teenage years, it was an original LIMA HO gauge green class 33 converted into....

a LIMA OO gauge green class 33!!!!

Yes, you read that correctly! He had cut a Lima HO class 33 into pieces , glued pieces of plasticard in place to increase the dimensions and then glued all the bits back together and repainted it.

He therefore made a OO version of the class 33 before Lima saw the error of their ways and introduced their own OO range.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

As an enthusiastic teen (aged about 13 so around 1983) I decided to make a SR DEMU. My sole reference was photos in a contempory Ian Alan/ Locoshed type DMU spotting book. The first coach donor was a Triang Mk.1 RMB, which had paper overlays added over several of the windows, followed by a healthy covering of Humbrol BR blue enamel. Cab windows were drilled out and vaguely filed to shape, and the cab end painted yellow. The piece de resistance was the fitting of a Triang DMU motor bogie, lord knows how I achieved that!

I have no idea which class it was supposed to represent; suffice to say no further coaches were lost to the project and the Triang DMU regained its motor bogie!

I then moved on to something far more accurate, a Scottish Mk.2 DBSO push/pull coach. Except that I didn't have an Airfix Mk.2D BSO donor so used a Lima Mk.2B BFK instead, with the windows and paint finish (including first class stripe) left entirely as they were. . . But at least the end looked vaguely decent when complete.

Fortunately film processing was far too expensive to waste photographs on them! All good formative experience though I guess. . .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just remembered the Triang Caledonian coaches. I did try to remove the raised beading on one side, but gave up and painted them both chocolate and cream with the lining picked out in black. I’ve still got them.

And the Kitmaster BR Mk1 Restaurant car that first got repainted chocolate and cream, then I decided to create recessed doors like the Ocean Liner saloons (I was working with the GWS at Taplow at the time and we had 9118). Luckily I only did one door and was able to largely correct the error.

Oh what a misspent youth.

Oooh, I still have my teenage OO repainting excrescences around somewhere, must dig them out and subject them to the unforgiving lense of modern digital photography. Fortunately I gave up interest before I could do too much damage.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic  because the person in question was not a teenager, but in the 1970's Twickenham club had a big roundy roundy OO portable layout that was up and running most club nights.

There was one member who always turned up early, hogged the layout but always went home before it was time to put the layout away.

He always hogged the layout with his rake of Tri-ang mk1's.

So the committee thought up a plan to stop him hogging the layout every week. Rather than every Friday being 'general running' some Fridays would be designated as GWR or SR (the two most popular companies in the club)

But it didn't stop him................

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

He simply painted one side of his BR mk's in green and the other side in choc & cream! And he always repainted them if the theme changed again .... and so the coaches got wider and wider as the number of coats of paint increased.

Members joked that eventually they would be out of gauge!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

I've recently discovered a few of my teenage adventures - and actually its rekindled my interest in kit building and bashing!

First off was my N gauge rake of GWR 4 wheeled coaches. Made by chopping up a GraFar suburban coach into two (from 9 compartments to two fours) and mounting them on a PECO 15ft wagon chassis - with a scratch built 'under frame'. I also filled in a few windows with miliput and plasticard to make a 4 wheeled full brake. Pre the internet and Google my main source of information and pictures was the Ratio advert in the Railway Modeller. I then went one step further an butchered a suburban coach into a Dean clerestory.

Twenty five years later I've just rediscovered them as my parents downsized and cleared out the old house. After initially dismissing them I've revived them. A new coat of paint and replacement wheels for the 4 wheelers, and new bogies for the clerestory. Actually with a bit of weathering they don't look too bad, and now form a rake of internal user coaches on the layout

• Like 1

Teenage confession?  Here goes: Aged 15 I bought a Hornby 0 gauge clockwork SR L1 4-4-0, stuck some balsa wood to it and hey presto, I had an LMS 2P. Two Mills Bros LMS coaches (Bakelite) formed the passenger consist but I had no goods wagons. A 4mm scale drawing was doubled and I built an LMS 20 ton goods brake to 8mm scale. Stupid me! Not wanting to waste the underframe (I soldered this with dads large copper iron heated on the fire, it became a flat wagon to carry my pet tortoise. Track was traditional creosoted sleepers with spiked flat bottom galvanized rail, all obtained from Tyldesley & Holbrook on Deansgate, Manchester. The line was laid at ground level around the back lawn and the creosote smelled great that summer. The following year I started work and lost interest completely in modelling railways for the remainder of my teenage years.

Gee, that was interesting...not.   :blum:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3