RMweb

Bachmann HALL 5960 SAINT EDMUND HALL

MANTY1

Good Afternoon

Have just purchased from EBay a Hall Class Saint Edmund Hall 5960

Bachmann Catalogue No:- 32-002

It said in the descriptin it is DCC ready (on the Box as well)

Assumed no decoder was fitted (not expected) and tested her on my testbed with DC.

Ran well although needs a bit of runnin g in.

Imagine my surprise when I took out the chassis from the body to find that a decoder has been installed.

On checking "Buffers" how to fit a decoder - instructions it seems all is in place, but cannot get her to work on DCC ??

They do say remove all capacitors and chokes from the back of the motor and provide jumper wires in their place? They are still connected.

My questions are :-

1. Do I need to remove the capacitors

2. Should it be running on DC with a decoder fitted.

3. Could the decoder have been blown as the capacitors are still in place when it was fitted ??

I am "technology challenged" at times (must be my age!!!) so would appreciate your thoughts on this.

post-31454-0-05604000-1530713693_thumb.jpg

post-31454-0-26421900-1530713724_thumb.jpg

1. Some will say capacitors should always be removed, some say only if you find running problems. I've only removed capacitors from a few of my locos.

2. Yes, unless dc running has been disabled in CV29 or the decoder doesn't support dc running, there are very few of those.

3. Extremely unlikely for the capacitors to have caused damage. The chokes (inductors) can usually be left in place but if you do remove them, you must fit wire links instead.

What address have you been trying? Have you tried a decoder reset? Usually writing 8 to CV 8 will reset decoders but some have different reset numbers.

• RMweb Gold

If it runs on DC, then I'd say it's unlikely that there's anything wrong with the decoder. Most likely, it's just set to an address that isn't obvious, so as smokebox says, you'll probably have to do a reset unless you can read back the current address.

For what it's worth I have one of these and I didn't remove the capacitors.

1. Some will say capacitors should always be removed, some say only if you find running problems. I've only removed capacitors from a few of my locos.

2. Yes, unless dc running has been disabled in CV29 or the decoder doesn't support dc running, there are very few of those.

3. Extremely unlikely for the capacitors to have caused damage. The chokes (inductors) can usually be left in place but if you do remove them, you must fit wire links instead.

What address have you been trying? Have you tried a decoder reset? Usually writing 8 to CV 8 will reset decoders but some have different reset numbers.

Thanks smokebox, will have to look at the Prodigy Express Manual and see how to reset her.

Fingers Crossed

If it runs on DC, then I'd say it's unlikely that there's anything wrong with the decoder. Most likely, it's just set to an address that isn't obvious, so as smokebox says, you'll probably have to do a reset unless you can read back the current address.

For what it's worth I have one of these and I didn't remove the capacitors.

Thanks Barry. Hopefully all well just need to work out the reset procedure.

Thanks smokebox, will have to look at the Prodigy Express Manual and see how to reset her.

Fingers Crossed

Thanks Barry. Hopefully all well just need to work out the reset procedure.

Success - reprogrammed chassis, took me a while to work it out and realised had the wires in the controller still set on Main Track, swapped to Prog Track reset to 12 loco moved a bit. Then swapped wires back yo Main  (must do a separate connection "lol) and she works on DCC.

Only issue now is the when in forward she goes in reverse and vice-versa.

Swapped wires - no difference  any ideas - bet its "simples"

Success - reprogrammed chassis, took me a while to work it out and realised had the wires in the controller still set on Main Track, swapped to Prog Track reset to 12 loco moved a bit. Then swapped wires back yo Main (must do a separate connection "lol) and she works on DCC.

Swapped wires - no difference any ideas - bet its "simples"

You should be able to reverse direction with one of the CV values

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Success - reprogrammed chassis, took me a while to work it out and realised had the wires in the controller still set on Main Track, swapped to Prog Track reset to 12 loco moved a bit. Then swapped wires back yo Main  (must do a separate connection "lol) and she works on DCC.

Swapped wires - no difference  any ideas - bet its "simples"

"Swapped wires" Which ones? Swapping the motor wires will change direction, swapping the track wont.

There is also a setting to reverse operation in CV29, you will need to change the first bit.

Does you handset allow you to read CVs or change direction as part of it's programming?

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

"Swapped wires" Which ones? Swapping the motor wires will change direction, swapping the track wont.

There is also a setting to reverse operation in CV29, you will need to change the first bit.

Does you handset allow you to read CVs or change direction as part of it's programming?

Keith

The OP means the wires to the rear of the Prodigy. You have to swap the feeds if you want to use it in "progam track" mode, if you don't have a dedicated programming track. Like

the OP I have sometimes forgotten to change the wires.

Keith

Will need to check that Keith, No rush as am running her in a bit at present. Light oiling etc.

Must say I am well pleased with her, wasn't expecting her to be already DCC'd so a pleasant result.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Is that a decoder or a blanking plug?

Hi Coachmann

Its definitely a decoder, all is working now.

One of those good days when you get more than you expected.

Just need to play with CV29 to get the direction the right way round. Not today though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that a decoder or a blanking plug?

It is the plug which is directly under the cab.

It has the decoder correctly fitted where the centre weight normally resides, with the wires along the side of the motor in their guide.

If you require more weight after the fitting of the decoder, some lead alongside the decoder will restore the status quo. I have done that on my "Hall"

Keith

Edited by melmerby

To be more precise-

If it's an even number, add 1. If it's an odd number, subtract 1

Thanks smokebox. Will definitely have a look at doing that over the weekend

Appreciate the help.

Now she has been running on my loco tester track bed she is getting smoother and runs very slowly.

Bit of light - medium weathering at some time :yes:

It is the plug which is directly under the cab.

It has the decoder correctly fitted where the centre weight normally resides, with the wires along the side of the motor in their guide.

If you require more weight after the fitting of the decoder, some lead alongside the decoder will restore the status quo. I have done that on my "Hall"

Keith

Hi Keith

She has the decoder already in place exactly as you mentioned.

There is a weight in the body shaped to the boiler so hopefully that is sufficient, if not then a bit of Liquid Gravity should help, will see how we get on before adding anything extra.

Kind Regards

• 1 month later...