Permanent way for Branch Layout

Hi All

My new layout, "Crantock Tor", is set between 1968, and 1972. (Post Beeching) It is set in Cornwall, in a fictitious junction between Penzance, Redruth, and Helston. My question is this- what colours would ballast hoppers been during this period? I cannot find any definitive answer.

Any help much appreciated.

Dean

Hi Dean, there is a series of books by David Larkin on Civil Engineers Wagons that are a mine of information. You might not find a definitive answer as any newly built wagons might have recieved Olive Green livery from new and I think they started painting the rest around that time but that would have taken ages so many  would have been Black with straw coloured lettering and very well weathered, there was a red livery that some earlier enginneers wagons carried but I'm not sure if any ballast hoppers did. Have you checked Paul Bartletts website as there is so many photo's on there, although some photo's might be slightly later the liveries prob havent changed much, just got rustier! 

I've painted some Grampus wagons for a similar period and found many different variations.

Hope that helps.

Edited by sb67

Hi Dean, there is a series of books by David Larkin on Civil Engineers Wagons that are a mine of information. You might not find a definitive answer as any newly built wagons might have recieved Olive Green livery from new and I think they started painting the rest around that time but that would have taken ages so many  would have been Black with straw coloured lettering and very well weathered, there was a red livery that some earlier enginneers wagons carried but I'm not sure if any ballast hoppers did. Have you checked Paul Bartletts website as there is so many photo's on there, although some photo's might be slightly later the liveries prob havent changed much, just got rustier! 

I've painted some Grampus wagons for a similar period and found many different variations.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I will certainly have a look!