Sunday Opening

ianmacc

SMTF located in the grounds of Brookside Strikes Garden Centre near Poynton, Cheshire is open on a Sunday.

Oh and anyone wanting to ride on the miniature railway you are out of luck as the little trains stopped running at the start of September and the new operator is not expected to start until December now.

Cheers Paul

But if you work in retail and don't expect to work weekends or evenings then you are in the wrong career. I had a lad who was on a government "work programme" who wanted to work in retail, but he refused to come in on Saturdays. Bye. You aren't getting a job in retail if you won't work weekends. Harsh but true.

Saturday's and evening work in retail is understandable.  However, Sunday trading is a recent phenomenom ... in Germany laws prevent most Sunday trading ... I seem to recall reading they have the strongest economy in Europe.

Sunday trading is only "harsh but true" if we make it thus.

• Like 1

SMTF located in the grounds of Brookside Strikes Garden Centre near Poynton, Cheshire is open on a Sunday.

Oh and anyone wanting to ride on the miniature railway you are out of luck as the little trains stopped running at the start of September and the new operator is not expected to start until December now.

Cheers Paul

Was a regular there when I lived in Macclesfield a real Aladdin’s cave!

• RMweb Gold

It depends on the location. If you are somewhere which has a lot of passing trade on a Sunday then it's much more sensible being open on a Sunday than possibly a Tuesday or Wednesday.

But if you work in retail and don't expect to work weekends or evenings then you are in the wrong career. I had a lad who was on a government "work programme" who wanted to work in retail, but he refused to come in on Saturdays. Bye. You aren't getting a job in retail if you won't work weekends. Harsh but true.

Before anyone complains about using "work programmes", that is how I started there and got kept on. They sometimes do work. I think they've stopped them now though.

Jason

Easy enough to take your "weekend" on Tuesdays and Wednesdays when it's usually quiet instead, always supposing it fits with family commitments and the footfall where the store is located.

However, many seem to be in locations where nothing else opens on a Sunday within a quarter of a mile, so there probably wouldn't be much to gain.

Also, quite a few retailers have a presence on the exhibition circuit at weekends. Only opening on the Sundays when they don't would be useless and employing extra staff to keep the shop open too might not be cost effective.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 5 months later...

A2B Model Railways, Matlock Bath opens on Sundays from April - December. We closed through the winter because there was very little trade on a Sunday during January and February and we were attending some local model railway shows.

• Informative/Useful 1