Applying Fox Transfers (Sector Decals) + tips :)

Hello!

Apologies if this has been covered before.... 

I'm just about to embark on applying a number of Fox Transfers (Sector Decals) and notice they come with a separate white backing. Do you apply the white backing, let it properly dry (say overnight) or go straight for it and apply both the backing and the decal straight away?

For waterslide transfers I normally use Carrs Transfix - however my attempt at renumbering went yellow using Fox so is it best to stick with warm water and a drop of washing up liquid?

Also for the first time I'm having a go at fox transfers lining - read short sections is best - is there a specfic short length that works best?

cheers

Will 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Will!

As it happens, I tackled some Fox’s sector flashes a few weeks back (lovely bit of Petroleum!) - I put on the white backing first and patted it down & dry with a bit of kitchen roll, then went straight onto the top layer, and all worked fine!

What was of interest, if your transfers are newer rather than older, Fox advised to add a little washing up liquid to the water, I used to ignore this kind of thing but it certainly did help the whole process!

As for the lining transfers - good luck! I tried to repaint a 60081 in GWR green back when it was new, both GWR lining and orange cantrail lining, complete nightmare and never again! I mask & paint lining and then tidy up after, much less stressful haha!

Cheers,

James

Thanks James!

I'm not looking forward to the lining tbh! But also after the performance I've had getting the livery half right and then for the masking to lift the previous layer that scares me even more. LOL

cheers

Will

• Like 1

When I did 57604 in N the best thing I found with the lining was to do it in stages. I think I did the verticals and corners first, let it dry over night then did the horizontals. Cantrail is similar, but simplified by the fact it's all in one line. I tend to do the awkward bits like cab rainstrips first, let then dry throughly before doing the bits in between. A quick brushed coat of Johnson's Klear over the top helps seal the awkward bits once they're dry, before progressing to other bits

Jo