RMweb

Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

I haven't given a progress report on the Class 20 Bo Bo since post 533.  Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere corresponds with spring growth, and work outside on our property and preparing for a family Christmas has taken up a fair bit of time.  But the Class 20 is now done!

The body of this old 2 rail item was in poor shape - heavily rusted handrails, grey painted roof and running plate heavily worn, and decals just starting to come off.  But there was no structural damage apart from a missing section of one of the cab window surrounds.  As this is painted grey (on the model), it needed repair. 

post-31135-0-51083000-1544847301_thumb.jpg

So I cleaned up the break and welded in a section of plastic rod which, when thoroughly dry, was sanded to square it off and blend in with the window frame.

post-31135-0-27120700-1544848150_thumb.jpg

The result, when painted, is quite acceptable.

post-31135-0-34527700-1544848260_thumb.jpg

One of the couplers had been ripped away.  This 2 rail engine had the metal couplers insulated from the bogies on which they were mounted, achieved by "sandwiching" the coupler between two plastic plates. The top one of these had a round projected which went down through the coupler mounting hole to provide a plastic lined, insulated tunnel through which the fixing rivet was driven. This top plate was lost.  Only the bottom plate remained.  The replacement coupling (from The Dublo Surgeon) therefore had an over-large central fixing hole for this plastic top plate - too large for secure fixing using the rivet.  As no insulation was required on this conversion to three rail,  I soldered a washer on the top to provide a suitable fit for the fixing rivet. 

post-31135-0-86306000-1544849034_thumb.jpg 

The illustration shows the untidy soldering job and the bottom plate.  I retained this as, on the face away from the camera, are two lugs which act as stops for the ears on the coupler.

Incidentally, the coupler rivet was still in situ and I didn't want to start hammering it out from the powered bogie, so used the wheel puller which featured in previous posts to push it out.

post-31135-0-43858800-1544849388_thumb.jpg

Painting was principally by Badger Patriot airbrush - my fast-diminishing stock of Humbrol  BR Green enamel for the body work, and medium sea grey, a tinlet of model aircraft paint I had around, for the roof and running plate. The first coat of grey looked a bit light so I added a touch of black for the final coat.  I brush painted the running plate as masking it off looked like a lot of work with those projecting panels and doors on the side of the hood. The buffer beams are Humbrol Red.  They really should have another coat.

Tansfers were PC/HMRS Pressfix.  These were about 25 years old, and just starting to lose their adhesive "bite" so I treated them like 'methfix" transfers and they stuck really well.  A coat of satin polyurethane varnish and she was ready for handrails.

I took a leaf out of Garry's book and used stainless steel wire, 0.8mm diameter, bought from the local hardware/home improvement chain store.  It came in a 3 metre coil and I had to straighten it by putting one end of a length in my 6 inch bench vise, gripping the other end in a pair of hefty pliers, and pulling it really hard - all the time praying that the wire wouldn't break and cause me to rocket across the workshop into various bits of very solid machinery.  I re-used the original split pins.  Being nickel plated (?) they were rust free. Bending the split pins flush with the inside of the body was the usual struggle.  In fact. I had several attempts to get the body back on as the spine of the chassis kept fouling split pins which weren't properly flattened.  I think that the tails of the cab handrails are still preventing the motor bogie from swinging to its full extent.  I may have to do some further trimming of their ends.

The locomotive is still on its  original traction tyres.  They are no longer concentric - like the tyres on a car which has been sat in a shed for 40 years.  I have a new set which I will fit when I have a decent sized track to run it on. Like Garry, I don't like traction tyres at all, but wasn't going to go to the trouble of obtaining (or fabricating)  replacement wheels for such a common-or-garden locomotive,

post-31135-0-57710300-1544850609_thumb.jpgpost-31135-0-76081700-1544850634_thumb.jpg

So there it is.  I can't say that I'm an enthusiast for the Class 20.  I know that they have a following and, indeed were one of the most successful of British Rail's pilot diesels.  But they simply don't appeal to me in the same way that a steam locomotive (or even a Woodhead electric) does.  But, another Dublo item saved from the scrap line, and that's got to be a good thing!

Mike

Edited by MikeCW
  • Like 7

I haven't given a progress report on the Class 20 Bo Bo since post 533. Christmas in the Southern Hemisphere corresponds with spring growth, and work outside on our property and preparing for a family Christmas has taken up a fair bit of time. But the Class 20 is now done!

The body of this old 2 rail item was in poor shape - heavily rusted handrails, grey painted roof and running plate heavily worn, and decals just starting to come off. But there was no structural damage apart from a missing section of one of the cab window surrounds. As this is painted grey (on the model), it needed repair.

P1020115 (2).jpg

So I cleaned up the break and welded in a section of plastic rod which, when thoroughly dry, was sanded to square it off and blend in with the window frame.

P1020143.jpg

The result, when painted, is quite acceptable.

P1020172.jpg

One of the couplers had been ripped away. This 2 rail engine had the metal couplers insulated from the bogies on which they were mounted, achieved by "sandwiching" the coupler between two plastic plates. The top one of these had a round projected which went down through the coupler mounting hole to provide a plastic lined, insulated tunnel through which the fixing rivet was driven. This top plate was lost. Only the bottom plate remained. The replacement coupling (from The Dublo Surgeon) therefore had an over-large central fixing hole for this plastic top plate - too large for secure fixing using the rivet. As no insulation was required on this conversion to three rail, I soldered a washer on the top to provide a suitable fit for the fixing rivet.

P1020130.jpg

The illustration shows the untidy soldering job and the bottom plate. I retained this as, on the face away from the camera, are two lugs which act as stops for the ears on the coupler.

Incidentally, the coupler rivet was still in situ and I didn't want to start hammering it out from the powered bogie, so used the wheel puller which featured in previous posts to push it out.. P1020127.jpg

Painting was principally by Badger Patriot airbrush - my fast-diminishing stock of Humbrol BR Green enamel for the body work, and medium sea grey, a tinlet of model aircraft paint I had around, for the roof and running plate. The first coat of grey looked a bit light so I added a touch of black for the final coat. I brush painted the running plate as masking it off looked like a lot of work with those projecting panels and doors on the side of the hood. The buffer beams are Humbrol Red. They really should have another coat.

Tansfers were PC/HMRS Pressfix. These were about 25 years old, and just starting to lose their adhesive "bite" so I treated them like 'methfix" transfers and they stuck really well. A coat of satin polyurethane varnish and she was ready for handrails.

I took a leaf out of Garry's book and used stainless steel wire, 0.8mm diameter, bought from the local hardware/home improvement chain store. It came in a 3 metre coil and I had to straighten it by putting one end of a length in my 6 inch bench vise, gripping the other end in a pair of hefty pliers, and pulling it really hard - all the time praying that the wire wouldn't break and cause me to rocket across the workshop into various bits of very solid machinery. I re-used the original split pins. Being nickel plated (?) they were rust free. Bending the split pins flush with the inside of the body was the usual struggle. In fact. I had several attempts to get the body back on as the spine of the chassis kept fouling split pins which weren't properly flattened. I think that the tails of the cab handrails are still preventing the motor bogie from swinging to its full extent. I may have to do some further trimming of their ends.

The locomotive is still on its original traction tyres. They are no longer concentric - like the tyres on a car which has been sat in a shed for 40 years. I have a new set which I will fit when I have a decent sized track to run it on. Like Garry, I don't like traction tyres at all, but wasn't going to go to the trouble of obtaining (or fabricating) replacement wheels for such a common-or-garden locomotive,

P1020174.jpg P1020176.jpg

So there it is. I can't say that I'm an enthusiast for the Class 20. I know that they have a following and, indeed were one of the most successful of British Rail's pilot diesels. But they simply don't appeal to me in the same way that a steam locomotive (or even a Woodhead electric) does. But, another Dublo item saved from the scrap line, and that's got to be a good thing!

Mike

Excellent work Mike, I like the window repair you would not know anything had been broken.

Regarding the split pins, usually Dublo used nickel plated brass which is why they sometimes break. It seems to be a hardish brass and not as malleable as soft or steel ones. No matter what I use I have never been able to get them tight into the body as Dublo did.

Keep up the good work.

Garry

And in addition to the Class 20, in the last month I've done a straightforward repaint of an 0-6-2T, using Dennis Williams (Dublo Surgeon) transfers to replicate a post-war Dublo issue in Southern malachite green.  I've yet to fit the replacement stainless steel handrails

The photo cruelly shows that the "Southern" on the tank side is very slightly out of level, not obvious on the model.

The shade of green too isn't quite right.  A Southern modeller I know gave me a couple of samples of model paint which claim to be malachite, one Humbrol acrylic and one Railmatch IIRC.  They were very different(!) so I mixed up a brew which looked close to the Humbrol version but is, probably, a bit too close to an olive shade rather than the "hard" blueish shade of malachite.  But in real life the shades of paint varied, even when supplied by outside paint companies rather than mixed in the paint shop, so I'm happy with 2594 as she is.

Mike

post-31135-0-20420700-1544865658_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

This is my version of the SR tank.Painted with Molotow Future green aerosol paint with Fox transfers.It should have solid wheels on the trailing truck,perhaps at a later date!.

post-4249-0-47903000-1544877283_thumb.jpg

Ray.

• Like 3

I wouldn't worry too much about the transfers being skew. Dublo transfers often are. I asume the ladies applying them were on piece work. The Dublo green doesn't look much like malachite either IMHO. The first (pre-war) ones were in Maunsell olive green. If I can get to her (there's loads of stuff piled in front of her box at the moment), I'll post a picture of mine. She could do with a run anyway.

They sould have green wheels anf a solid (alloy} pony wheels. Mine has an AlNiCo magnet, but I think the last (Korean War period) N2s were only available IN LNER green of LMS black. Both the GWR and (especially) the SR versions are quite rare along with the black LNER version which was only produced in 1947 AFAIK with the horseshoe magnet.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Mike what colour did you use for the top of the Class 20. The original colour was a like a duck egg green/grey that I have had trouble matching.

I didn't try for a precise prototype match, but used what I had on hand to give what to me looked a reasonable match to the original Hornby Dublo colour on the top of the hood.  On this well used example the grey varied in shade depending on how worn it was and therefore how much of the green plastic of the body moulding was showing through. Depending on how long the spray gun was wielded in the Binns Road factory, and therefore how thickly the grey colour  was laid on, perhaps the models varied in shade, very slightly, between batches?

I rootled around in my boxes of model paints, a few of which are obsolete colours now out of production (I find the occasional ancient tin whose contents are well past use) and found Humbrol HB 6  Sea Grey Medium which looked close to the colour on the model.  After spraying the first coat it looked a bit light in shade so I added a few drops of black for the second (final) coat,  The last step in the painting process was a coat of household polyurethane satin to seal the transfers.  Though modern varnishes are much clearer or "whiter" than the old ones, which had a distinct yellow/brown tint, the varnish coat still subtly deepens and softens light colours such as greys.

Hope this helps 

Mike

• Like 1

After 60+ years,it`s difficult to define the shade of grey.1950s paint wasn`t as durable as todays paint,it fades & discolours.The reccommended modern paint is Humbrol slate grey no.31.I used Halfords grey primer on mine with a coat of satin laquer.

Ray.

I wouldn't worry too much about the transfers being skew. Dublo transfers often are. I asume the ladies applying them were on piece work. The Dublo green doesn't look much like malachite either IMHO. The first (pre-war) ones were in Maunsell olive green. If I can get to her (there's loads of stuff piled in front of her box at the moment), I'll post a picture of mine. She could do with a run anyway.

They sould have green wheels anf a solid (alloy} pony wheels. Mine has an AlNiCo magnet, but I think the last (Korean War period) N2s were only available IN LNER green of LMS black. Both the GWR and (especially) the SR versions are quite rare along with the black LNER version which was only produced in 1947 AFAIK with the horseshoe magnet.

You're right about the transfers David.  I've seen a couple of HD locomotives in BR mixed traffic black with the red boiler band transfers so askew I wondered how they passed quality control. Perhaps they were applied on a Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, and Theresa Mullane and Morag Galloway were so engrossed in a discussion about the new nightspot called The Cavern, that insufficient attention was being paid to varnish transfer application.

Thanks for the information on the green-painted wheels.  I've not examined an original closely, and the photos in the Foster book seem to show (IIRC) both green and black wheel centres - or at least indistinct colours.  I understand too that factory repairs can result in later chassis being put under original bodies (like a replacement black-wheeled "Silver King" chassis going under a blue "Nigel Gresley"  body)?

Mike

Hi Mike,

My first Dublo was about 1956/7 time when I was 4 or 5 and was Silver King with no tender, 0-6-2 a couple of wagons and coaches along with Wrenn and Dublo track. All second hand from a shop I used many times so my first new item was the tender. After that I think my next new Dublo was 2-rail when sold off after their demise. The shop in York was really quite good and when I started work another was a good source a few hundred yards away. The owner used to put any Dublo to one side until I called in. Going to Leeds, London etc prices there were a lot more but I think that was because they were model shops like Beatties, the shops I used in York sold anything, records, fishing equipment, house ornaments etc.

Garry

Hello Garry

I think I got my first Dublo (Duchess of Montrose, 2 suburban coaches, a circle of track and an A3 controller) in 1954/55, when I was 7 or 8 - I'm a post-war baby boomer.  They were new and Mum and Dad must have faced some significant financial choices to buy them for me.  I suspect now that they ordered the items during the year, and paid a deposit and maybe made a couple of instalment payments.  Not only was Dublo expensive out here in NZ in the 1950s (though not as pricey as Marklin), but strict foreign exchange controls, and a system of licensing of imports, heavily restricted supply. (It meant of course that a retailer with an import licence could act like a mediaeval monarch and bestow his favours - ie selling an imported item -  to those he liked and knew rather than anyone who fronted up with a couple of pound notes.)

The local retailer was a bicycle, pram and toyshop in a neighbouring provincial town, a 25 minute bus ride away.  He also had a wide range of second-hand items on which I would spend my birthday and Christmas postal orders to increase trackage and rolling stock.

A by-product of this scarcity, as well as the pre-container international freight system, was "in-transit risk" - we would call it local theft.  In the later 50s my parents ordered an 8F 2-8-0 for my major Christmas present.  Months later the shipment arrived from the UK, was broken down and distributed to retailers including the local one mentioned above.  When his allocation arrived and the shop owner was sorting out the pre-ordered items from those which would go on the shelves, he found the shiny, blue-striped box for the 8F filled with stones, the locomotive almost certainly pilfered at the waterfront. So I had to make do with the 0-6-2T. I wonder if that watersider's son ever found out where his new locomotive had come from.

I was chatting to a slightly known acquaintance at a local model railway exhibition recently and, when he asked how my "scale" layout was coming along, I told him that I had been recently preoccupied with Dublo restoration and modification.  He got quite peculiar about this, as though I had declared membership of an outlawed political party or sinister religious cult. "That's just nostalgia!" he said dismissively, and even with a touch of anger. I agreed it was indeed about nostalgia, but also about craftmanship, and the satisfaction of repairing older mechanical items (just like clocks, toys, scientific instruments, or even vintage motor vehicles).  I still don't think he got it. "A case of "Nowt so queer as folks"?

Mike  

• Like 3

Back in the 1950s,Meccano ran a sort of purchase scheme where my parents would pay 5 shillings a week for 12-15 weeks before Christmas to buy me the latest Hornby Dublo loco for my present.I remember the payment record card to this day,it was a light brown to gold folder set on a treasure island with a palm tree or two & Meccano products lying on the beach.Now that`s nostalgia! :sungum:.

Ray.

Edited by sagaguy
  • Like 1

I have often wondered Meccano's philosophy when awarding franchises.  Any shop that sold bikes or prams seemed fair game rather than  your average toy shop.  Sports shops were another good source but newsagents and florists were other local sources.  But it was the bicycle shops that made the most impression; you didn't know whether to check out the bikes, the toy trains or any other Meccano products for that matter :help: and the smell of rubber hung around for ages.  One of those things one remembers well!

Brian.

That is not a nice story Mike about the stealing of new items possibly before they get to the shops. Thankfully we did not get that here, that I know of.

In the 50's and 60's we had about 17 shops in York selling model railways, a motorbike shop sold Trix, then Currys (who are still on the go today but without railways) sold both Tri-ang and Dublo, 2 push bike shops selling Dublo, a pram shop selling Tri-ang, and newsagents selling both Dublo and Tri-ang as well as 4 standard model shops. One newsagents at the end of our road had its last 2 Dublo items as the Caledonian sets with City of London and SD coaches, my mum bought me one for Xmas and a classmates parents bought him the other one, a couple of years later he packed in with trains and I bought his set. Our big Co-oP had large amounts of Tri-ang and Dublo plus a window display layout of Trix which one Xmas around 1960 time ended up as my present. Unfortunately it was the old AC system which I never did get to work properly, maybe that is why the Co-oP sold it. By then I had TT, Tri-ang 2-rail, Dublo 2 and 3-rail and Trix, non of which was really compatible with the other. Shops like Currys and the Co-oP were a good source of Dublo when I started work in 68 as everything was around half price being sold off, one department store, Boyes, was still selling it until the early 70's as well as car exhuasts, washing machines, fabric etc. We were spoilt for choice in a small city. One bike shop in Leeds in 68 was where I bought my first EMU trailer at 10/6 along with maroon and green suburbans all at half price. In the words of Mary Hopkins song "Those were the days".

My mum used to get Xmas train sets from Currys, Tri-ang, by paying weekly although not like Ray, this was Currys own system.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 5

“That is not a nice story Mike about the stealing of new items possibly before they get to the shops. Thankfully we did not get that here, that I know of.”

I used to work with guys who had started their working lives in the London Docks, and they told tales of almost systematic pilferage. I think that the lorry that things fell off the back of was one that worked out of the docks!

Mind you, nicking a model loco from within a consignment is a fairly special kind of theft, a bit different from ‘accidentally’ splitting a case of oranges.

Newspaper extract below is from 1940 ...... 600 people arrested! Seems rather a lot!

post-26817-0-21705100-1545009211.jpeg

post-26817-0-21705100-1545009211.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer

“That is not a nice story Mike about the stealing of new items possibly before they get to the shops. Thankfully we did not get that here, that I know of.”

I used to work with guys who had started their working lives in the London Docks, and they told tales of almost systematic pilferage. I think that the lorry that things fell off the back of was one that worked out of the docks!

Mind you, nicking a model loco from within a consignment is a fairly special kind of theft, a bit different from ‘accidentally’ splitting a case of oranges.

Newspaper extract below is from 1940 ...... 600 people arrested! Seems rather a lot!

Wow!  Perhaps it was a Liverpudlian chancer who pinched my 2-8-0, and not a Kiwi wharfie!  Made in Liverpool and stayed in Liverpool!

Mike

I have often wondered Meccano's philosophy when awarding franchises.  Any shop that sold bikes or prams seemed fair game rather than  your average toy shop.  Sports shops were another good source but newsagents and florists were other local sources.  But it was the bicycle shops that made the most impression; you didn't know whether to check out the bikes, the toy trains or any other Meccano products for that matter :help: and the smell of rubber hung around for ages.  One of those things one remembers well!

Brian.

Aah Brian, that smell of rubber! For three years in a row, I think 1961-63 when I was 13-15, I worked for the two weeks before Christmas in a local bicycle, pram and toy shop. First job in the morning was to sweep the footpath outside the shop.  Does anyone still do that? The owner of the antique shop next door complained that I raised too much dust!

Norm, the bike shop owner, worked in a small workshop/storeroom out the back, repairing bikes and doing repaints, all by brush applied enamels. For an extra 5 bob he'd hand apply pin-striping.  His wife and adult son ran the shop, though Norm would come out for specialised discussions with customers about bike options,  My job was to restock the shelves, run errands, wrap parcels and do the twice-daily postage run.  I would help out on the counter at times, usually on late-opening nights on Fridays and Christmas Eve.  They had a primitive adding machine at the counter which, for some strange reason,  they didn't like used; so when a parent brought their child in to choose a dozen farmyard animals by Britains or similar, I had to add up by pencil and paper all those 1/2d, 1/7d, 11d, 2/3d, 9d etc etc, with a hawk-eyed matron standing over me.

In the store room were Scalextric sets, the first generation of battery powered Japanese-made trucks and machinery, red and yellow Triang boxes, a small number of blue and white and red and white Dublo boxes, dolls and doll prams and cots, bicycle parts ( brakes, dynamos, dynamo hubs, bells, handlebars, handle grips etc - all British made), tyres hanging from the rafters and, throughout everything, that smell of brand new rubber. For years that  smell could take me back in a flash.  I'd like to be taken back for a day and spend it going through those boxes!

I just hope that children today can still enjoy the excitement we felt on visits to such places as these, and those so well described by Garry in his post #613.

Mike

PS  Dinky Toys were also common on newsagents' shelves as I understand it.  Indeed, I read about a Dinky Toy collector (or did I see him on Antiques Roadshow?) who was on holiday in Wales(?) and, in a small town, discovered a newsagents with a large stock of unsold Dinky Toys, which had been in the shop for years, and all for sale at their original prices.  I believe that he bought the lot!

Edited by MikeCW
  • Like 2

Brian.

Meccano would only approve a dealership to shops that were at least 3 miles apart.In their heyday before ww2,It`s was reported that Frank Hornby would interview prospective dealers himself.Post war,they set out to find how many dealerships had survived.Unfortunatly,there wern`t very many,the shops were either destroyed or their owners didn`t survive the war.Someone once said that the fortunes of Hornby Dublo dissapeared at the same time as the steam loco!.Sad end to a great company.

Ray.

Meccano would only approve a dealership to shops that were at least 3 miles apart.In their heyday before ww2,It`s was reported that Frank Hornby would interview prospective dealers himself.Post war,they set out to find how many dealerships had survived.Unfortunatly,there wern`t very many,the shops were either destroyed or their owners didn`t survive the war.Someone once said that the fortunes of Hornby Dublo dissapeared at the same time as the steam loco!.Sad end to a great company.

Ray.

I had read about the 3 miles apart but by the mid 50's it certainly did not apply as all the ones in York were all within 3 miles, 2 were less than 100 yards apart one being at the end of our front street the other on the back street to our house.

Garry

Ray.

At the time, for us at least, diesels just didn't count. Dublo's last steam model was the 'West Country' around 1960 and was expensive (the starter 0-4-0T doesn't count). I rember admiring crowds for the 'Castle', but nothing afterwards. Tri-ang knew better and continued with steam models of excellent quality (L1, B12, Dean Single....) Retooling for 2 rail (and ring field motors) must have exhausted their finances. They should have done this much earlier (with perhaps a trade in for three rail track, as they did with 0 gauge?). Even starting with 2 rail in 1938 would not have been impossible. (Trix had already shown the way with insulated track and wheels.) The Deltic was sold on pulling power rather than realism (perhaps understandibly!), but, while impressive was of little relavance to the average user who perhaps only had a few coaches and wagons anyway.

But enough surmise of the everlasing discussion as to the reasons for the failure of Meccano Ltd..

I don't know about 3 miles, but our local shop in Bristol (Clifton) had a pretty good area. IIRC the nearest Dublo dealer was in the City Centre nrear the Floating Harbour. I can remember first seeing an 8F there. For some reason I got a Bo-Bo for Christmas that year. I didn'y get an 8F until years later, when I found one being sold off at half price  :)  She was still the 3 rail ½" motor version 48158, so i don't think the sale was connected with the demise of Meccano Ltd.. We moved the same year and I had had her for sometime when we moved.

We moved quite a lot. Dad was in the Civil Service and promotion always involved a relocation.

Edited by Il Grifone

The Deltic model was based on the drawings from English Electric.The tools were made before the revised body shape was delivered to BR.

Ray.

The Dublo Deltic looked nothing like the original body shape, and, the tooling was made to show the two tone colour of the revised shape as it had a ridge for the different colours.  The original Co-Co was never classed as a Deltic or anything else for that matter, it was always just referred to as a Co-Co.

The original Deltic was also too wide as it removed some platform edges at some stations.

Garry

The Deltic model was based on the drawings from English Electric.The tools were made before the revised body shape was delivered to BR.

Ray.

That's true (Hornby made the same mistake with their Class 58.). However, it does not excuse the excessively short length and I have a feeling the model is also too high. (I 've not measured the height, but it is the impression I have.) The Co-Bo was/is a lot better.

Edited by Il Grifone

The Dublo Deltic looked nothing like the original body shape, and, the tooling was made to show the two tone colour of the revised shape as it had a ridge for the different colours.  The original Co-Co was never classed as a Deltic or anything else for that matter, it was always just referred to as a Co-Co.

The original Deltic was also too wide as it removed some platform edges at some stations.

Garry

The original Co-Co (always a Co-co or a Class 5) lacked the ridges for the two tone livery (obviously). I understand it remained available until the end (excess stocks?).The Deltic version has them. I had problems masking a Class 5 body to paint it in the proper livery. I'd got the pale green line the right colour (at least to my eye - it seems different things to different people as the preserved examples are incorrect IMHO) and straight. Masked for the dark green, then removing the tape took a chunk off (despite using Tamiya tape). I still have to have another go at it!

The original Co-Co (always a Co-co or a Class 5) lacked the ridges for the two tone livery (obviously). I understand it remained available until the end (excess stocks?).The Deltic version has them. I had problems masking a Class 5 body to paint it in the proper livery. I'd got the pale green line the right colour (at least to my eye - it seems different things to different people as the preserved examples are incorrect IMHO) and straight. Masked for the dark green, then removing the tape took a chunk off (despite using Tamiya tape). I still have to have another go at it!

I don't remember the Dublo Co-Co being called a class 5 even though that is the Deltics classification.  It is a far better body to use as a Deltic though as the ridges look awful, why they could not use a mask like they did for other edges I have no idea.  Even the yellow front was masked off (ridges were used on the EMU though).  The pale green I used was the Railmatch colour which is quite good.  Thankfully my Tamiya tape did not pull any off but I used the tape over the dark green (Hycote Brooklands Green) and brush painted the light one on.

I think it was still sold as excess stock otherwise they would surely have withdrawn it when the "proper" Deltic came out. 

Here are my two Co-Co bodies painted as Deltics Ballymoss and Royal Scots Grey.  The original Deltic model is not my handiwork but bought via Ebay.

Garry

post-22530-0-03181100-1545046092.jpg

post-22530-0-31269100-1545046111.jpg

post-22530-0-14196900-1545046161_thumb.jpg

• Like 2