Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

It is less hassle in one lot, but several lots will probably make more money. A large price will put many people off.

I agree.  It would be a mistake to try and sell it as one lot.  It would sell for significantly more if the items were to be sold individually (locos, buildings and more unusual or rare items of stock) or as small rakes in the case of wagons and coaches.  The only thing you might want to sell in large bundles would be track.

I think you will find this is a typing mistake and should be £1.69.

Garry

Then how about the £10.88 for posting two nameplate transfers, £10.73 for North Sea fish wagon transfers and £10.71 for eight washers.  I'm sorry, but these are the sort of people I try to avoid on eBay.

Edited by Wolseley

Best traditions of Hornby Dublo,track everywhere.I`ve managed to squeeze in my six road loco shed at last.

I don't have the track laid yet as I'm half way through constructing the baseboards at the moment (I'm constructing it so that it can be taken apart and stored temporarily if the need arises which, hopefully it won't) but when it's done, it will have a four road engine shed.  Not enough space for six roads, but then I'm fitting it into 8'x4'......

Then how about the £10.88 for posting two nameplate transfers, £10.73 for North Sea fish wagon transfers and £10.71 for eight washers.  I'm sorry, but these are the sort of people I try to avoid on eBay.

That could be the Ebay Global Shipping Programme, and not necessarily the trader him/herself.

The GSP system, as I understand it, is that Ebay contract a shipping/freight forwarding company who take responsibility for customs duties, clearance fees and the like.  An Ebay seller can decide whether to sign up for the Ebay GSP, which apparently makes life easier for them, or take responsibility themselves for the postage to overseas buyers. The problem with the GSP is that every country has a different customs regime and there is a degree of "averaging out" in the GSP charge, as well as a profit for the freight company, and no doubt for the auction site too. I don't know how much of the cake the seller gets.

For shipping to a country like New Zealand, where there is currently no tax or duty on anything much under £200, it is grossly uneconomic to buy from sellers who are part of the GSP.  When I'm browsing the offers on Ebay I simply won't bother to look at any item where "shipping and customs charges included" or a similar phrase indicates the seller is a GSP member. I know other potential buyers do as well. (Some sellers are apparently waking up to the lost sales opportunity this represents.) If you Google the Ebay Global Shipping Programme you'll find a few frank opinions of its merits!!!

Another problem is that some traders, in or out of Ebay, will either insist on, or automatically use, the most expensive tracked/insured /signed for postage option.  I collect childrens books of around the time of the First World War.  From the UK they can be from around £10 up to £50 per copy.  One bookseller will only send books overseas at the most expensive postage option.  I asked for basic airmail postage on a £15 book, but he wouldn't budge. While this might make sense for a Shakespeare First Folio or a Gutenberg Bible, it's a dumb option for me to pay  150% of the cost of a low value book in postal charges. I politely told him why I couldn't buy from him. I think it pays to let sellers know, courteously of course, the commercial effect of their decisions.

Mind you, we've all been spoiled by Hattons' postage charges!

Mike 

As Mike says this is most likely Ebay's GSP of which the seller has nothing to do with it. When it was introduced Ebay asked sellers if they wanted to sign up to have all the hassle removed from them and Ebay would sort it all out.  Thankfully I did not sign up and later found out that once you had you could not cancel it, whether that has changed I don't know but Ebay are very greedy.  A while ago they started taking a cut of the postage charge as well, plus, Paypal (who were at the time owned by Ebay anyway) also took a % of the postage so if the Royal Mail site states £3.95, as it does for most of my sales, then I charge the customer £5.  I have to pay for paper and tape (boxes are usually from deliveries to me), £3.95 at the Post Office, then 10% goes to Ebay with about 4% to Paypal so if I charged just the £3.95 I would be out of pocket.  It is so easy to send abroad so why anyone would go for GSP beats me.

Garry

A lot depends on the seller, it would appear.  In O gauge, shipped to the US from the UK, a basic wagon could cost as little as 7 Pounds or as much as

25 Pounds.  They all seem to come by air and take about a week or so.  There are reasons such as packing, string, tape, boxes, to account for the variety of prices which is fine but they all are usually similarly well wrapped.  So we try and do business with the most reasonable sellers.  25 Pounds is a lot more expensive in Dollars than Seven!

Brian.

And. if it comes from abroad an item attracts customs duty and VAT. (Once we leave the EU, (there is still a chance we don't) I assume that eventually this will include Europe?) . The latter iniquitous tax is charged on the customs duty and postage too! Customs duty is only charged on items worth over £200, but VAT cuts in at only £18 including the postage and then the Post Office charges £8 for collecting it.

I have just ordered an electronic kit (habd held oscilloscope) from China (good job I have an Antex iron!) in a Black Friday sale. It was £15 something so OK. Just after ordering it, I say that it was available ready assembled for around £20. I was just cursing myself for my haste, when I remembered the above. Instead of about five pounds more, it would have been £20 + 4 + 8, over twice as much! (and I would have missed the fun of putting it together,) it's a Christmas (or Birthday depending on delivery time - the last item i ordered from the seller arrived quite quickly)  present from SWMBO. but she doesn't she's giving it to me yet.. It's not very high spec. (i wouldn't expect it for the price) but I have three amplifiers suffering from the dreaded mains hum and it will ptobably help a lot. (Bound to be electrolytic capacitors....)

It appears that sometimes it doesn't get charged. I bought a Waithers railway* station kit from the States some years ago and I don't recall any extra charges. IIRC it was before they charged the £8 collection fee.

We have found that it is cheaper to have a parcel sent abroad that to pay the airline for a suitcase. A 30kg parcel was about £20 door to door. As 'personal belongings' it escapes the above charges, but, as it was to the EU, it was duty free anyway (for now).

(Sorry waffling on again....)

* ATSF so no 'railroad' nonsense!  :)  (Of the 5 major U.S. systems, only one is a railroad.)

Edited by Il Grifone

It's possibly cheaper to deal with Wrenngalore directly. They are offering the WC/BoB body and chassis block for £40 as on eBay, but throwing in the front bogie frame as part of the deal. (It's around £6 by itself).

I've just received some axle insulating bushes from them. I have now no excuse for not finishing my 8F's conversion to 2 rail. (Done in the early sixties when they started selling Dublo spares - the 2 rail driving wheels were 1/6d each IIRC.) it's not really necessary as she is now 3 rail again, but it would be nice to be able to run her two rail (or for the Trix Twin system) and she looks odd having two nickel and two alloy driving wheels on one side. This was the result of being a youthful skinflint (I haven't grown out of it yet!). I insulated the flangeless drivers with chrome tape around the tyres. It worked and looked OK, but the tape has fallen off over the years. I have a stock of 8F wheels but they lack the bushes. One of the bushes turned out to be a crank pin bush, so I'll have to enquire if they have any more. For now I can leave it out or use a plastic pin* - it's behind the connecting rod so not conspicuous. The other alternative is to cut the cylinder bracket in half and insulate that, as had been done to one on eBay recently, but I think I'll avoid that. The bracket is quite thick steel....

* or maybe make a bush from a piece of wire insulation and a Peco washer. The wire insulation works. I padded out the thin axles of my A4* with it and she still runs to this day.

*I only had one back then. i have a full set now including a 3 rail 'Fleece'. (Ignoring (I don't care about) pointless varieties like 3 rail locos with nickel wheels (spare wheels are not hard to come by) or pest-prone pre-war items.) I do have a pre-war Dinky Toys junction signal though. It seems pest free....

Hi David,

If you do decide to build your own spamcan,keep us informed with pics,it would be a most interesting project.I`m most of the way through 3 railing my new Fighter Pilot with Golden Arrow  branding,arrows & flags etc.I had occasion to make a rare complaint to Hattons over the packing of this loco,the outer carton was well packed but the loco had no packing at all in the loco box,it was sliding about in the loco box which damaged the tension lock coupling.I pointed  that the money this loco cost me,a small piece of bubble wrap & brown paper wouldn`t come amiss.To their credit,i got an email apologising for this & offering me a new coupling which i declined as i was replacing it with a Dublo coupling,luckily enough,the paint finish wasn`t damaged.

Ray.

A few years ago I was told that the hardest part of doing a raw chassis casting was the drilling and tapping for the upper and lower bearing holes to keep them both in alignment. Meccano, and Wrenn, supposedly had special drills to do this in one go and that only Tony Cooper and a couple of others had these. He did say he had asked Tony if he could have/borrow one but obviously the answer was no. How right this is I cannot say but I can imagine Meccano having something and not trying to do what we would have to attempt. Fettling a cast body was not easy so there was no way I would attempt to do a chassis casting, especially as I know how hard it is to drill and tap one hole anywhere let alone 2 at once an inch or so apart.

Garry

Hi David,

If you do decide to build your own spamcan,keep us informed with pics,it would be a most interesting project.I`m most of the way through 3 railing my new Fighter Pilot with Golden Arrow  branding,arrows & flags etc.I had occasion to make a rare complaint to Hattons over the packing of this loco,the outer carton was well packed but the loco had no packing at all in the loco box,it was sliding about in the loco box which damaged the tension lock coupling.I pointed  that the money this loco cost me,a small piece of bubble wrap & brown paper wouldn`t come amiss.To their credit,i got an email apologising for this & offering me a new coupling which i declined as i was replacing it with a Dublo coupling,luckily enough,the paint finish wasn`t damaged.

Ray.

Hi Ray.

The postage on the tension lock would have been more than the wretched thing is worth! I have a bag of them and a Tri-ang C.P.R. Pacific staring at me and asking when I'm gojng to relieve her of the one on her front bogie (the tender is an acetate one and the whole lot is scheduled for the bin!).

As to the Spamcan, you wre lucky there!  :)  I'm undecided about the project (SWMBO would say no, so I won't ask!). However, if I do go ahead. I'll certainly post details. Looking at the photo on their site, the bottom armature hole is drilled, but the top is solid. it would need a (new) long drill bit and careful clamping in the vice of the drill stand The top bearing is 4 B.A. on most Dublo locos and that is what she'd get, though Wrenn fitted the large type. The bottom bearing is just force fitted, so not really a problem. On the other hand, I do have a couple of spare A4 chassis....

I find that I have several 2-6-4T centre wheels complete with bushes, so no need to bodge anything on my 8F  :)

My 'new' GWR Hornby no.101 tank body arrived today. I had the bright idea of fitting the mechanism of my 2nd no. 1 LMS tank. Needless to say in the twenty years that separated the two models they'd changed the design and it wouldn't fit! (The key arbor is on the other side for a start.) So I'm looking for a chassis! She must be about my age as they only produced GWR (and SR) locos in qquantity in the first few years after the war (confirmed by her matt finish)*. In fact my first 'proper' train was an LMS one at the age of two (well nearly three - I got her for Christmas and I was born in January.

* Accoring to the Hornby 'bible'. There's a picture of one just like mine in a set.

David

• Like 1

Well,here`s Fighter Pilot in Golden Arrow livery.3railed,Dublo coupling fitted,ready to haul a Pullman train.

post-4249-0-41497500-1543275433_thumb.jpg

post-4249-0-27098600-1543275505_thumb.jpg

Ray.

• Like 1

Sorry,gave you the wrong dimension for the large adjustable bearing.It`s 9/32" x 40,another ME thread.

Ray.

I was afraid a tap of this size would be hard to find and expensive, but at £3 each for taper and second taps (+ carriage - as usaual hidden away in the site) not too bad. The core drill diameter is given as 6.49 mm, but I feel 6.5 will do! (I doubt that they are that accurate anyway!). Then I'd need the bearing. i have plenty of the locknuts though.

https://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies/model-engineering-taps-dies/9-32-x-40-tpi-me

• Like 1

I was afraid a tap of this size would be hard to find and expensive, but at £3 each for taper and second taps (+ carriage - as usaual hidden away in the site) not too bad. The core drill diameter is given as 6.49 mm, but I feel 6.5 will do! (I doubt that they are that accurate anyway!). Then I'd need the bearing. i have plenty of the locknuts though.

https://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies/model-engineering-taps-dies/9-32-x-40-tpi-me

Hi David,

ME taps and dies are not too hard to come by as you have found out, there is also Reeves of Birmingham and Blackgates of Dewsbury as at least 2 ME companies selling them.  I doubt the .01 is going to make any difference and as a locknut is used the bearing will be held tight.  Good luck with the project, I too will be watching for its progress.

Garry

I would emphasise that this is only a possible project and on hold for lack of funds at present*. Distaff projects also take up valuable modelling time (and cash!). The bathroom is a long running saga and I have heard rumblings about a new kitchen floor.... (I don't know why, it looks OK to me :scratchhead:. There are also some tiles for the kitchen. I thought (as in 'hoped') that both wife and daughter had forgotten about them, but I gather not. (Women are like elephants, in that they never forget!)

My link was the first to come up on a Google search. I am sure there are other suppliers and would check before purchase. On the other hand, I already have both taps and bearing for the smaller size. There are even some ball bearings somewhere.

* My motorised Airfix West Country has been sitting in a drawer for ages incomplete. One side is lined and numbered 34007, but the opposite side to the one with connecting rod and slide bar assembly. IIRC there was a problem with the parts. The fact that the kit is Airfix shows her age. (It could even be Kitmaster the plastic is dark green.) There is no floor (to make room for the A4 chassis) so no longer any trade mark to be sure. (On checking the tender is Airfix.) There is also a problem with the pony truck. The kit one is not very good and I have both Tri-and and Wrenn replacements. Neither fits properly of course! At the moment she has Wrenn bogie and pony truck.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I would emphasise that this is only a possible project and on hold for lack of funds at present*. Distaff projects also take up valuable modelling time (and cash!). The bathroom is a long running saga and I have heard rumblings about a new kitchen floor.... (I don't know why, it looks OK to me :scratchhead:. There are also some tiles for the kitchen. I thought (as in 'hoped') that both wife and daughter had forgotten about them, but I gather not. (Women are like elephants, in that they never forget!)

Totally agree with you about never forgetting David and glad I am not the only one who has these "other half" issues lol.

I get a new train and its "why I thought you had enough", she gets a new dress and when I say thought you had enough its "no, I need a new one".  Same as trains to me I guess :-).

Garry

• Friendly/supportive 1

omis

I get a new train and its "why I thought you had enough", she gets a new dress and when I say thought you had enough its "no, I need a new one".  Same as trains to me I guess :-).

Garry

Just the discussions I have....   :)

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

I know,life has a habit of getting in the way of hobbies!.Wrenn seem to have sold quite a few of these castings but i wonder what`s happened to them?.Iv`e not seen any mention of them on any of the forums including model engineering that i suscribe to.If i were younger,it might have been a project that i would have been interested in.As an exercise in model engineering,it could be fascinating,to get an accurate tapped hole in the top bearing casting,you would ideally make a pin drill with a pilot that fitted the hole & a final diameter drill with a hole down the middle to take the pilot ,made out of silver steel,hardened & tempered after forming the teeth with a file.As a project,fine,viable,no, but what a triumph if it could be done.I have to admit that i do things just to see if it can be done,just an inquisitive nature i suppose.LOL.

Cheers,Ray.

Edited by sagaguy

I'll have to total up the costs. For a start £40 for the castings + £10 for the smoke deflector etchings. The tender can be from a Dapol kit (Dublo's choice was a rather atypical oddment) though the Wrenn parts are available. Then etched plates etc. (I do have some that came with my 'Barnstable' which had been repainted and renamed (not very well - it did all come off and leave the original green paint). I'd need an armature, but have most of the rest of the eiectrics (or could make them). The pony is also in stock, as are the wheels except for the bogie.

It might be necessary to fit the larger bearing as they are rather longer than the smaller one.

David

• Like 1