Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

The latest addition to the fleet,BoB Fighter Pilot in Golden Arrow branding.It wouldn`t be quite right without at least a couple of Wrenn Golden Arrow coaches behind,The rest at the moment are normal Wrenn & Dublo pullmans.

post-4249-0-63382900-1543970494_thumb.jpg

post-4249-0-45432400-1543970558_thumb.jpg

Ray.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah, student cars! In 1965 6 of us clubbed together and bought a 13 year old Mk 1 Ford Consul for £25. The insurance cost £60 3rd party fire & theft (we were students...). It was dangerous, but the MOT had only just come in and the garage who sold it to us guaranteed that they would pass it. Enough of that...! There were quite a lot of pre-war MGs still around but the MOT snuffed them out.

I remember that Highland layout. It caught my eye and left me with dreams of such a layout, so much so that I've gathered quite a lot of Highland info since, starting with first Alchin's then Tatlows book of Highland locomotives. If only I wasn't so committed to the GWR and Cambrian... Can you remember which RM it was? I might still have it somewhere.

I used to use the pin method to short out Jackson tender wheels. On my 2-railed Castle I use the American system, picking up on one side of the tender.

Edited by NCB

I remember that Highland layout. It caught my eye and left me with dreams of such a layout, so much so that I've gathered quite a lot of Highland info since, starting with first Alchin's then Tatlows book of Highland locomotives. If only I wasn't so committed to the GWR and Cambrian... Can you remember which RM it was? I might still have it somewhere.

A few years ago I dumped/recycled several hundred railway magazines, most of which hadn't been opened for years.  But before doing so I laboriously went through them and put aside, to keep, those with articles by Peter Denny, Frank Dyer, David Jenkinson or with some item or content of particular appeal.  By chance, two of the kept magazines feature descriptions of Gavin Wilson's Highland Railway; the Railway Modeller for August 1964 (written by Gavin Wilson) and, perhaps surprisingly for such a late date, the Model Railway Constructor for March 1975 (written and photographed by Brian Monaghan).  There may be other articles of course, but those are the two I know of.

Mike

The latest addition to the fleet,BoB Fighter Pilot in Golden Arrow branding.It wouldn`t be quite right without at least a couple of Wrenn Golden Arrow coaches behind,The rest at the moment are normal Wrenn & Dublo pullmans.

attachicon.gif20181204_233640.jpg

attachicon.gif20181204_233705.jpg

Ray.

Very nice Ray.  I am now inspired to find some Dublo or Wrenn Pullmans to be hauled by my recently acquired "Barnstaple", which has taken its place in the "to be three-railed" queue.

For me there is also something fascinating about working overhead wiring on a layout, and steam locomotives running under the catenary, You have probably provided the information before, but what brand is your overhead (that is if it's not scratch-built of course).  

Mike

Edited by MikeCW

Hi Mike, both Trix, which is above, and Tri-ang made catenary systems. Tri-ang made two versions of theirs the early one being the most realistic. These had the catenary wire, collector wire and droppers in one pressing. I am led to believe these were too hard and cut into the pantographs so they went for a single wire as was the Trix version. Hornby Dublo used the Tri-ang ones in their adverts for the E3001 loco.

I personally am not a fan of OHL as inmodel terms putting and taking stock off is harder and in both real life and models the masts spoil the view of the stock.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

The Trix masts were representatives of the 1500v Sheffield to Manchester Woodhead route as it complemented their EM1 even though they made an E3001 loco. Tri-ang's was more like the standard 25000kv use on the West Coast yet they first made the EM2 before the E3001 loco, which was the Hornby Dublo body moulding after they had bought them out.

Obviously masts did differ in different locations but generally that is what Trix and Tri-ang's were.

The original Tri-ang one made it harder to place masts as the pressings were of about 4 fixed lengths with one adjustable section. None of Trix or Tri-ang's took into account the slight zig zag of straights to even out pantograph wear. Peco do make these now but very expensive.

Garry

A few years ago I dumped/recycled several hundred railway magazines, most of which hadn't been opened for years.  But before doing so I laboriously went through them and put aside, to keep, those with articles by Peter Denny, Frank Dyer, David Jenkinson or with some item or content of particular appeal.  By chance, two of the kept magazines feature descriptions of Gavin Wilson's Highland Railway; the Railway Modeller for August 1964 (written by Gavin Wilson) and, perhaps surprisingly for such a late date, the Model Railway Constructor for March 1975 (written and photographed by Brian Monaghan).  There may be other articles of course, but those are the two I know of.

Mike

Been there! Done that!  (SWMBO insisted on 'downsizing' when we moved - she still says I have too many :scratchhead: )

The articles now sit in folders and remain unlooked at....

Hi Mike, both Trix, which is above, and Tri-ang made catenary systems. Tri-ang made two versions of theirs the early one being the most realistic. These had the catenary wire, collector wire and droppers in one pressing. I am led to believe these were too hard and cut into the pantographs so they went for a single wire as was the Trix version. Hornby Dublo used the Tri-ang ones in their adverts for the E3001 loco.

I personally am not a fan of OHL as inmodel terms putting and taking stock off is harder and in both real life and models the masts spoil the view of the stock.

Garry

Hi Garry,

I don't know about spoiling the view. I hardly even see it when I look out of the wihdow. It's true there are only EMUs and Classes 66 & 70 (on container trains) to see, so not much view to spoil! There was a steam shed, but that was before the house was built and long before we moved here. No trace of it now :(

David

Been there! Done that!  (SWMBO insisted on 'downsizing' when we moved - she still says I have too many :scratchhead: )

The articles now sit in folders and remain unlooked at....

All my magazines went out a few years back.  Unfortunately, as I had temporarily lost interest in model railways at the time, I didn't have the inclination to retrieve any individual articles.  Mind you, on my return to modelling I started collecting and running vintage equipment (principally Hornby Dublo three rail) as opposed to pre-grouping scale modelling, so I don't think too many of the articles I might have kept would be of use to me now.

Downsizing is a funny thing - we were going to downsize when we moved house about five years ago, but we ended up buying a house on a slightly larger block, with the same number of rooms, and the rooms are all bigger than our old house.  We did reduce the amount of furniture, books records, nick-nacks and so on though.....

Edited by Wolseley

All my magazines went out a few years back.  Unfortunately, as I had temporarily lost interest in model railways at the time, I didn't have the inclination to retrieve any individual articles.  Mind you, on my return to modelling I started collecting and running vintage equipment (principally Hornby Dublo three rail) as opposed to pre-grouping scale modelling, so I don't think too many of the articles I might have kept would be of use to me now.

Downsizing is a funny thing - we were going to downsize when we moved house about five years ago, but we ended up buying a house on a slightly larger block, with the same number of rooms, and the rooms are all bigger than our old house.  We did reduce the amount of furniture, books records, nick-nacks and so on though.....

We did the opposite. Smaller house, but kept most of the stuff!

I did clear out part of my Hi-Fi collection however. Reel to reel tape recoder, large amplifier, linear tracking turntable* etc. :(

* Much regretted. The turntable didn't work (power supply blown up - at least). It came with two pickups one was o/c one channel but the other still plays in my other turntable SWMBO says I should get rid of that too!  For once I put my foot down! It stays! Vinyl still sounds better IMHO. I gather it's supposed to be something to do with digital remastering (= compression of the dynamic range - totally unnecessary seeing CD has 20dB more signal to noise ratio). It's supposed to make the music sound louder :scratchhead: :no: :nono: )

Sorry nothing to do with Hornby Dublo (none of that was downsized - I've bought a lot more since!). :secret:

Edited by Il Grifone

Hi Garry,

I don't know about spoiling the view. I hardly even see it when I look out of the wihdow. It's true there are only EMUs and Classes 66 & 70 (on container trains) to see, so not much view to spoil! There was a steam shed, but that was before the house was built and long before we moved here. No trace of it now :(

David

Hi David,

What I actually meant saying spoiling the view was masts get in the way of seeing the full model, or in real life they get in the way of the loco when taking a photograph.  I am one of those who like a side or 3/4 shot with nothing between me and the loco.  I know sometimes a signal can be in the way but usually you can move a few feet either side whereas masts they are all the way down.  It is not so bad when long overhead gantries are used  and then you get a clear unobstructed view but when its single posts either side of the line its not so good.

Model form I just don't like them.

Garry

A blast from my past. This was my layout in my childhood in the 1950s,this photo must have been post 1957 as the turntable wasn`t introduced until about Xmas,1957,I used to get £2.50 from my parents from a xmas club that they paid into at that period.It was a lot of money in these far off days.

post-4249-0-80860300-1544025977_thumb.jpg

Ray.

• Like 5

A blast from my past. This was my layout in my childhood in the 1950s,this photo must have been post 1957 as the turntable wasn`t introduced until about Xmas,1957,I used to get £2.50 from my parents from a xmas club that they paid into at that period.It was a lot of money in these far off days.

Dublo 1957.jpg

Ray.

I would guess the early 60's Ray as there looks to be the 3-rail Deltic going under the Airfix gantry on the right. You can see the yellow/green lower band.

Or, is it the Bo-Bo and the light colour is the footplate although its colour shape is wrong for the Bo-Bo. The grey was on the top only and did not curve down like the photo shows.

Garry

No,it is a BoBo,one of the first issue models,about 1958,it was a toss up at that Xmas between  that & an 8f,the bo bo won.The 2-8-0 came the following year which i still have.I didn`t have a deltic until the mid 80s when i started collecting again.The loco on the other track is Silver King.

Ray.

No,it is a BoBo,one of the first issue models,about 1958,it was a toss up at that Xmas between that & an 8f,the bo bo won.The 2-8-0 came the following year which i still have.I didn`t have a deltic until the mid 80s when i started collecting again.The loco on the other track is Silver King.

Ray.

Thanks, what looks to be the drop down colour must be the buffer beam red and being B/W it blends in with the footplate grey. I can now see the ladder on the side, don't know how I missed it before.

Garry

It was a 1950s photo when I first started developing & printing my own film probably taken with my then new Ilford Sportie or Sportsman camera.The print is courtesy of Photoshop which enhanced the photo from a poor original.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

It was a 1950s photo when I first started developing & printing my own film probably taken with my then new Ilford Sportie or Sportsman camera.The print is courtesy of Photoshop which enhanced the photo from a poor original.

Ray.

The whole seen just takes me back. Trainset on the table and even the budgie cage with its bottom cover ! I was a Triang man though from 1965 . Dublo was in its death throws by then

Ray.

it must be quite late as there is the Dublo engine shed. The Airfix kits and Peco salt wagons date from the late fifties too.

I always wanted the Mastermodels girder bridge. I still haven't got one!

We had budgies too....

it must be quite late as there is the Dublo engine shed. The Airfix kits and Peco salt wagons date from the late fifties too.

I always wanted the Mastermodels girder bridge. I still haven't got one!

We had budgies too....

I had the double track version of the girder bridge which I liked, but, as a youngster thought I could better it and separated it into its two parts. Each half having one of the two centre girders which I think got in the way of Dublo double track and ruined it removing them. I think the size was okay for standard and series 3 which had wider centres. In the last few years tried to get another but not at the prices they went for.

Garry

The photo probably dates from September1959 as that was when the loco shed was first on sale along with the extension kit but Silver King was bought for me by my parents in about 1953.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

Mike

Gavin Wilson articles on his layout.

You can add 

Model Railway Constructor 1976 January Page 3 another photo.

Model Railway Constructor 1975 April Page 146 2nd part of layout description.

Model Railway Constructor 1976 December Page 482  Tribute to the late Gavin Wilson.

Various articles by David Jenkinson, show the occasional photo and the logic behind running 'funny trains' of which the Royal Train was one!

• RMweb Premium

Mike, Kevin, thanks. I might just still have the RM one. Might even have a Constructor but less likely. It was getting hold of Alchin's book on Highland locos which spurred my interest in them; it was rare in those days to have a book aimed at the modeller which included plans of virtually all a company's locos. Tatlow did an excellent job of revamping it and bringing it up to date.

From Facebook.

Origin unknown.

FB_IMG_1544130880921.jpg

When it was first made into a Jigsaw, a few years ago, it was noted the Gresley coach had a Tri-ang coupling on it which is still seen in the photo and was reported but I don't think it was ever corrected.  The drawing was also made into a picture card.

The jigsaw is still in the shops, 1000 pieces.

Garry

• Like 1