RMweb

Old B/W film, possibly unprocessed.

DonB

There are obviously a number of Photo-Savvy members here-abouts who may be able to help me.

Trawling though the Junk drawer which passes for a photo archive, I have found a 35mm cassette of a (cut length) 400ASA B/W film which I think contains about 40 shots of Derby Friargate after closing.

I don't think it was ever developed, and there is no tag-end of the film visible! Any ideas how I should go about getting it checked and a contact print strip made? I haven't found anyone locally with a darkroom.

If it is already (or can be) developed I can scan it, If it is not developed yet what are my chances of successfully getting it processed, bearing in mind it's age?

Failing an enthusiastic amateur, who should I approach in the commercial world?

• RMweb Premium

a/I don't think it was ever developed, and there is no tag-end of the film visible!

b/If it is already (or can be) developed I can scan it, If it is not developed yet what are my chances of successfully getting it processed, bearing in mind it's age?

c/Failing an enthusiastic amateur, who should I approach in the commercial world?

a/If theres no tag end that can be retrieved with a film puller, a shim specially designed for the job. If the film is back in the can its almost certainly not been developed, many SLR's used to wind fully back into the can.

b/ If its been stored in a temperate and dry environment theres no reason why with care it can't be developed. If its of 'value' I'd be more tempted to send it to a pro lab, (they still exist), to get the best chances of results from its processing.

c/ See above, do a google search for your area, unless you know or trust the amateur, its probably your best bet. Explain to the lab what you've written here so they know the full story.

• RMweb Premium

a/If theres no tag end that can be retrieved with a film puller, a shim specially designed for the job. If the film is back in the can its almost certainly not been developed, many SLR's used to wind fully back into the can.

b/ If its been stored in a temperate and dry environment theres no reason why with care it can't be developed. If its of 'value' I'd be more tempted to send it to a pro lab, (they still exist), to get the best chances of results from its processing.

c/ See above, do a google search for your area, unless you know or trust the amateur, its probably your best bet. Explain to the lab what you've written here so they know the full story.

Contact the Yorkshire Film Archive. They may be able to give some advice?

36E

I worked as a Service engineer on mini labs for Kodak for many years, and agree with the above statement. IF you take it to a Kodak Express they SHOULD be able to do it there while you wait, as the whole process only takes about 20 minutes.

I remember finding some spools of film that were 7 years old! I sent them off in one of those "Send as many as you like" envelopes, for a processing place. (Remember those?) They all came back printed perfectly.

As an aside, never was I more disappointed! The pictures were of nothing exciting.:angry:

Archived