Odd Containers on Flat Wagons

cctransuk

• RMweb Premium

post-2274-0-08879900-1534074233_thumb.jpg

Ignoring the loco in the foreground - can anyone identify the containers that are loaded three to what appear to be PLATE wagons?

This is a loading arrangement that I have not come across before.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

They could be 'Type H' open containers, used for bricks, tiles etc. These were normally carried in low-sided Medfits or similar, as Conflats were unable to carry them.

The other possibility might be coil-carrying containers/cradles, but those had two high sides and two lower ones.

I had wondered about Type H containers - this form of loading them, if that's what they are - is interesting though, and almost demands modelling.

Any futher opinions / information would be welcomed.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I had wondered about Type H containers - this form of loading them, if that's what they are - is interesting though, and almost demands modelling.

Any futher opinions / information would be welcomed.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

They are not H type containers which are much smaller than that, they are close to the size of a C type container but slightly longer, but they don't have any container type markings so I don't think they are containers.

Aren't they just wooden crates

post-1535-0-42545100-1534087299_thumb.jpg

Edited by markw

They are not H type containers which are much smaller than that, they are close to the size of a C type container but slightly longer, but they don't have any container type markings so I don't think they are containers.

Aren't they just wooden crates

Military crates, they vary in size. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bropenmerchandiseowvcorrugated/e134a6ff2 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/oca/e1910a48

Paul

PS as said, H containers were very small.

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Military crates, they vary in size. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bropenmerchandiseowvcorrugated/e134a6ff2 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/oca/e1910a48

Paul

PS as said, H containers were very small.

I don't think so; close examination reveals open tops and, apparently, a mineral load. There is also evidence of hanging looped chains attached to the corners.

We have several wagons, (in what may be a train of such wagons), of very uniform appearance. I recall reading of PO box containers for coal - used, I think, for coaling ships; something of the sort was also using in canal boats and on rail for carrying coal to certain Lancashire mills.

Can anyone hazard a guess at the location of the photo? The date of the photo must be beween 12/63 and 12/65, as Departmental Locomotive No.19 (61204) is clearly in steam. Does anyone know where No.19 was allocated?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I don't think so; close examination reveals open tops and, apparently, a mineral load. There is also evidence of hanging looped chains attached to the corners.

We have several wagons, (in what may be a train of such wagons), of very uniform appearance. I recall reading of PO box containers for coal - used, I think, for coaling ships; something of the sort was also using in canal boats and on rail for carrying coal to certain Lancashire mills.

Can anyone hazard a guess at the location of the photo? The date of the photo must be beween 12/63 and 12/65, as Departmental Locomotive No.19 (61204) is clearly in steam. Does anyone know where No.19 was allocated?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Its last active shed was March but where it went when it was in use as a carriage warmer I don't know. I doubt March would need it for that.

• RMweb Premium

The location is Lowestoft (cf 'Rails to the Coast' by Malcolm R White, p95).

Well if it is Lowestoft they must be carrying bread crumbs for all those Birds Eye fish fingers......

Hat, coat......

Dave

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Well if it is Lowestoft they must be carrying bread crumbs for all those Birds Eye fish fingers......

Hat, coat......

Dave

That does it for me - I was hoping for a sea-fishing location.

I would bet that what we see is bunkering coal, ready for discharge into vessels.

Was any member around Lowestoft docks in the early / mid 1960s?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The resolution is not good enough to be sure but I think what you are seeing is the ballast load and the chains that operate the doors on a rake of Mermaids that is behind the plates.

• RMweb Premium

The resolution is not good enough to be sure but I think what you are seeing is the ballast load and the chains that operate the doors on a rake of Mermaids that is behind the plates.

Having downloaded the image and zoomed in on it, I cannot agree, I'm afraid. The boxes are clearly open-topped and the chains are draped from corner to corner.

post-2274-0-42076200-1534151560.jpg

LOWESTOFT

This is what I had in mind - the small boat appears to carry a similar box of coal, which would have been craned off the railway wagon and into the boat's hold.

Whether the box was craned over to the trawler, or the coal transferred manually, is unclear.

I will continue to research this.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

That does it for me - I was hoping for a sea-fishing location.

I would bet that what we see is bunkering coal, ready for discharge into vessels.

Was any member around Lowestoft docks in the early / mid 1960s?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I don't think there'd have been many coal-fired trawlers about by then.

• RMweb Premium

I don't think there'd have been many coal-fired trawlers about by then.

You may well be correct - though, having spent the morning poring over old images of Lowestoft, it is surprising what was still around in the late 50s / early 60s.

It's proving to be a fascinating line of research, anyway.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 1 month later...

I've just found a copy of 'British Rail Departmental Locomotives 1948-1968' (Paul & Shirley Smith, Ian Allan, 2014) in the local library.  Based on the information in the book, the original photograph was taken sometime between the Autumn of 1963, and the withdrawal of No 19 in February 1966.

D

Edited by Darryl Tooley

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not, I think, the same containers as in my original posting, but I have never come across this arrangement of container loading.

47427_03.jpg.d2096e397b85ff0a4e04c7468287a951.jpg

However, there are clearly eight small open containers loaded on this steel bodied PLATE wagon; my guess would be 'H' / 'HOD' containers to BR Diagram 3/600 or 3/602, often used for building materials.

I may well have to have a go at building a small batch of these, as they'd make an interesting load for a PLATE wagon.

(The photo caption states "Skipton Station North Junction signal box - 27/09/1963").

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

I did wonder if these were proper containers. I looked on Barrowmere MRC's site ( http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRContainerIssueB.pdf ) which shows the H being 7' x 4'2" x 1' 10". The width would fit with that, but the length is a problem, as I reckon, given the wagon length is about 21' If there were three rows, it would fit, but not 4.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

I did wonder if these were proper containers. I looked on Barrowmere MRC's site ( http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRContainerIssueB.pdf ) which shows the H being 7' x 4'2" x 1' 10". The width would fit with that, but the length is a problem, as I reckon, given the wagon length is about 21' If there were three rows, it would fit, but not 4.

Looking more closely, I think that there are three rows of two, plus a single at right-angles across the end, or two / one / two / one.

Regards,

John Isherwood.