Roco 10805 Booster

WIMorrison

Has anyone used one of the se boosters yet?

https://www.roco.cc/en/product/234818-0-0-0-0-0-0-004003-0/products.html

I am wondering if when it says it reports a short circuit to the Z21 whether this means that it also causes the Z21 to cut the track power or if the main Z21 continues to provide track power and it only the bus fed by the booster that switches off, but continues to automatically reset?

Many Thanks

Iain

.....I am wondering if when it says it reports a short circuit to the Z21 whether this means that it also causes the Z21 to cut the track power or if the main Z21 continues to provide track power and it only the bus fed by the booster that switches off, but continues to automatically reset?

https://www.roco.cc/doc/an/1/de/8010805920.pdf

The user manual isn't very clear.

However, the function for reporting a short circuit is configurable on this booster.

The two options are -  report shorts or not report shorts.

Short circuit notification

The notification of short circuits to the control centre is not performed when this option is deactivated.

However, this booster switches off in the event of short circuits and automatically attempts to re-activate the track output every 3 seconds (activated as standard).

Note the "activated as standard".

Although not explicitly clear, it suggests that the auto reset performs as standard (both modes).

Therefore it has to be asked, "why does the booster report the short circuit?".

Is this purely to provide an indication to the operator, via control interfaces (smart devices or handsets)?

...or does this provide the option between a local shut down of the power district affected by a short circuit, or a global shut down of all power districts via the Z21 command station.

It might be worth emailing Roco.

Ron

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Ron,

yoiu have managed to fathom the exct reason I was asking the question :)

As you say, a mail to Roco is called for here.

I want this unit to cut the power to the track it is feeding but not cause the main Z21 to switch off as that is feeding the accessories and chances are if it is a short it is because either a point hasn't set or i have made a train overrun the point.

• RMweb Gold

Is it an auto reset for a momentary short but trips out for a dead short? As before though it doesn't seem to have a reset button, not mentioned in the blurb either, so I suspect it will still take out the whole system as if it doesn't you'd have to reset by switching it off n on again.

.....I want this unit to cut the power to the track it is feeding but not cause the main Z21 to switch off as that is feeding the accessories .......

That appears to be possible by disabling the report function on the booster, so it doesn't report back to the Z21 Command Station.

Is it an auto reset for a momentary short but trips out for a dead short? As before though it doesn't seem to have a reset button, not mentioned in the blurb either, so I suspect it will still take out the whole system as if it doesn't you'd have to reset by switching it off n on again.

There is a button that can be used to turn on or off the track power output.

All it says in the user manual is....

However, this booster switches off in the event of short circuits and automatically attempts to re-activate the track output every 3 seconds (activated as standard).

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Unit purchased and installed using old laptop SMPS (90w) as the power source.

I had to tell it not to report shorts to the Z21 as that caused the Z21 to shutdown, but now it will only cut off the track leaving the Z21 to power accessories meaning I can change points if I am running manually and overrun an isolation casuing the track short.

good solution and not (too) expensive - £80, not much for improved operation and peace of mind :)