York avoiding lines

woodenhead

Just watching a video of someone train watching at York last week, do non passenger diagrams now generally use the station now as it seems that way.

I've not been to York for a long time but it seems the lines in / out of the station operate at a higher speed than in the past and the freight trains traverse the station quite quickly.

Dick Dring, who was well known at the York Show for 50 years, was a signalman at York and he explained that they always put freight through the station if possible as it was quicker than using the avoiding line. But freight does use the avoiding lines when things are busy.

I saw the Doncaster to Millerhill engineering train motor through last Thursday behind 88010 - what I had never seen before was any train staying on the ECML going north using platform 3. Caught me by complete surprise. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/p918568135/eb418e34a This is a regular train - but according to Realtime trains usually goes via platform 11. I must go and try and get more photos of it - I don't do much photography at the station and an electric hauled freight is unusual.

Paul

• Like 1

A freight approaching from Thirsk on the Up Slow heading for Doncaster would have to cross both Fast lines at Skelton to get to the avoiding line, then cross back again between at or beyond Holgate conflicting with trains from Leeds direction and possibly from Doncaster also depending on route.  Most of this conflict is avoided if the train runs through the station.