Hornby Railroad B17

Downer

• RMweb Premium

Could anyone say whether the screw emplacements on the recent loco-drive Railroad B17 are in the same place as they were on the old tender-drive model? I’m thinking about buying one of the Golden Arrow streamline conversion kits, and the guy who makes them says he doesn’t know.

Even if the screws are in the same place (that I do not know either), the new chassis is bound to be a lot taller, the original tender drive one being fairly flat at the running plate level, the new housing a gear tower, motor, weights etc going into the body. It may or may not fit if it is too tall.

Could anyone say whether the screw emplacements on the recent loco-drive Railroad B17 are in the same place as they were on the old tender-drive model? I’m thinking about buying one of the Golden Arrow streamline conversion kits, and the guy who makes them says he doesn’t know.

I think you might respectfully suggest to the vendor that if he wants the sale, then the the time has come to find out...

There was a review in the June 2018 Railway Modeller which has a photograph with the loco and tender bodies separated from the respective chassis.

The securing screws are shown in position on the locomotive body - one centrally below the chimney that appears to fit through the centre of the slot in the cylinder moulding and one centrally below the cab in line with or just behind the bar separating the two cabside windows.

The tender body appears to have two lugs at the front and, possibly (because it is blackened and hard to define) securing point centrally towards the rear. The tender chassis is the most changed, although it appears that the drive unit may simply have been replaced by a cast block that holds the wheels and the mount for the DCC socket. 

Doesn't help with any changes in vertical alignment I know but may give you a better idea than nothing, always assuming that you have an old tender drive model to compare with.

If it's still Chris Meachin at Golden Arrow he can be a bit offish - around 2000 I wanted to purchase several of his 7mm scale etched kits for Southwold Railway carriages off his stand at the Shepton Mallet NG show but he totally ignored me, even turned his back on me, and just carried on talking motor bikes with his mates. I never did buy the kits.