Kinlochewe

Dunmar

Hi :rolleyes:

'Kinlochewe' is the name given to my new exhibition layout. The details are as follows; the era will be 1970s - 1980s but will have the facility to run those colourful loco's of the sectorisation period. The track plan will be based loosely on 'Mallaig' and will use Peco code 75. I intend to have working colour-light signalling ( don't think that will be too difficult ) the platform will be 'curved' and will accomodate three coaches and loco. I have condensed the track plan at Mallaig to fit onto two 4' x 2' boards and will be adding my own version of a 4' traverser.

The boards have almost been completed, awaiting the fitting of 'pattern makers dowels.

I intend to post details as and when they happen as the layout progresses through the various stages. Be 'WARNED'- you will be taken through the highs- as well as the lows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Bill ( formerly known as DUNMAR!).

Hi :)

I have now completed the two main boards using 70mm x 18mm framing and finished with a 9mm plywood top giving an overall size of 8' x 2'. I have opted for the 70mm framing which will be used to support the 6mm plywood backscene.

This is the first time I have used pattern makers dowels - Brilliant!!! toggle catches are fitted to hold the boards together.

The layout will be supported on trestles I purchased from an Aldi store and they are fully adjustable.

I will post details of the proposed track plan very soon.

Cheers

Bill.

post-3775-12716766001.jpg

post-3775-127167661393.jpg

post-3775-127167667668.jpg

post-3775-127167669714.jpg

Welcome to the group of Scottish modelers that post on this forum..I have quite a collection of photos taken of the structures along the West Highland, please ask if you think i can help. If there is any particular request, i am going up that way in three weeks time so let me know.

Good luck with the project.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Many thanks for the offer of help - would like to know what was the provision for signalling at Mallaig around the 70s and 80s as I intend to install working signal(s). Some pics would be nice :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bill.

Hi, ;)

As promised track plan for 'Kinlochewe'. I intend to use the rocky outcrop to the left as you view the plan to serve as a scenic break to a 4-road traverser. I'm sure you'll agree got enough going on to make it interesting. Would welcome any comments you might have.

Cheers,

Bill

post-3775-127179682079.jpg

Hi Bill

You said in your opening post that the layout is based loosely on 'Mallaig' , looking at the trackplan it exactly like Mallaig.  :lol:

I have not got any photos old enough to include the signaling, but i can tell you ( and i have on this forum before) that in the 70's and 80's the signals were of Rugby WR tubular design. Please have a look at this post on signaling my layout “Glenuigâ€

http://www.rmweb.co....naling-glenuig/

Gary

Hi Bill

Good choice for a layout location!!!!

I think the chances of a remote terminus in the Highlands having colour light signalling in your era are pretty low and if they were then it would be post rationalisation of the layout so you will loose out on the interest of your plan.

As Gary says, I think that you may find yourself making some semiphores - either like those that he has shown or (more likely - even you are saying that Kinlochewe was an exNB West Highland Railway station?) BR standard tubular post signals. The tubular post signals were the LMS standard type (the LNER used something almost exactly the same). There is a very extensive series on the prototype of these in the LMS Journal (you will probably only need vols 1-4).

Don't be put off by making these, the MSE components are very good, although perhaps a little short of constructional notes. I have made a number and once you have worked out the trick to keep from soldering the thing solid, they are actually really fun to make. If you need a little guidance (and can wait a little for it), I will take some photos of the next one I make.

Sorry the signal is out of focus, the subject of the shot was the loco. However, this is the basic MSE kit for a signal arm LMS/BR standard upper quadrant.

post-7769-127187324213.jpg

Made mostly from MSE parts, this is a rather more complicated bracket (more complicated than it needed to be, by this time I had developed a taste for makign signals!)

post-7769-127187294393_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys :)

Thanks for the info and the link on signals - not my strong point! I wasn't sure when semiphores were replaced and my reference to 'colour-light' was the RETB equipment. With regards to my chosen location it is not my intention to replicate Mallaig but merely to use the track plan as a basis for a layout. I had chosen to include the former facilities as they would make for interesting operation.

Hadn't seen Glenuig before nice ;)

Cheers

Bill.

Hi, :)

I have altered the track plan and simplyfied the run round loop and removed a siding from the left. Track laying is about to commence and my chosen track is Peco code 75 and I intend to use Seep point motors ( the ones with the built in switch ). haven't used electrofrog points before but have the Ian Morton book 'Railway Electrics' to hand. Any pitfalls using this combination - would welcome any tips!

Cheers, Bill.

post-3775-12721433283.jpg

I too, am a Scottish nut firmly set in 1986-1989 with Caolisport on here. Do you think Kinlochewe would have been the terminus having come off the Kyle road at Achnasheen or somehwere? I always thought the idea of a termius at Gairloch or Poolewe would have been more likely. No criticism by the way just interested in your ideas.

As the man from Glenluig says there are plenty of us on here.

cheerio

Claggy

Hi Claggy :)

Your'e quite correct in your asumptions! Had the truth be known it was my intention to name the layout either Gareloch/Poolewe as it would see a branch coming off at Achnasheen and that being the case the line would have made more sense in terminating at either.

However, Kinlochewe had a nice ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to it and once I started to play around with it I couldn't let it go!

Thanks for the comment! My apologies to everyone as things seem to be going a bit slow- but when you have a business to run- playin' trains doesn't pay the mortgage ;)

Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Hope to start track-laying soon once I have consulted my electrician B)- can't seem to get my head round the wiring of these Peco electrofrog points-will leave it to the experts.

Regards

Bill.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, :)

Finally got round to laying some track- you can see where I have still to solder some droppers for the power feeds and the sections. I must admit it took some working out what with all this 'bonding' and 'power bus' and 'frog feeding'!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first pics shows the general layout of the track. Will follow up with more up-dates soon.

Bill.

post-3775-127496994173_thumb.jpg

post-3775-127496995825_thumb.jpg

post-3775-127496997388_thumb.jpg

A small oil terminal will provide fuel for the local fishing industry and the ferry services. I have still to decide if I want to lay one or two sidings for this purpose? This will be situated at the front of the layout.

post-3775-127497054082.jpg

A small oil terminal will provide fuel for the local fishing industry and the ferry services. I have still to decide if I want to lay one or two sidings for this purpose? This will be situated at the front of the layout.

Looking good- keep the Scottish ones coming. I would be inclined to just have a single siding for the fuel tankers; you don't want to overwhelm the space with track, but leave room for landscaping to set the scene- less is more for the highlands.

Richard

Hi, :D

Having just cut the track at the baseboard join using a Minicraft drill and cutter, I then separated the both boards and re-joined them - glad to say everything lined up beautifully! I had already driven into the boards a 15mm brass pin which is used to align the tracks prior to cutting. The pins are placed either side of the track and then soldered to the outside of the track, a method I have used time and again with no ill-effects!

Bill.

post-3775-127550892167.jpg

post-3775-127550893952.jpg

This is the final track plan in place - I have decided on one siding to service the oil depot and I will be using a Knightwing kit. The main station platform will be situated just to the right of the CL37 loco.

post-3775-127550921363.jpg

Archived