The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Pink Floyd

Geoff Endacott

Another variation on the tribute band, is where a former member of a band revives the old band and tours under the original name, although they may be the only member of the original line up.

There are two versions of Wishbone Ash.

Each version of the band only features one of the original members.

The original member of one of the bands having legal title over the name.

The "official" Wishbone Ash plays not only the music from the original bands 1970's heyday, but plays lots of more recent material.

The "unofficial" Wishbone Ash just plays the original 1970's material. It's sole original member actually founded the original band.

Which version of Wishbone Ash could be considered as the real band?

Could either or both of them be considered as "tribute bands"?

And is currently touring himself as ‘Nick Mason’s Saucerful of Secrets’ playing pre Dark Side Floyd material. Fronted by, somewhat unexpectedly, Gary Kemp, formerly of Spandau Ballet.

I’ve seen both versions of Wishbone Ash, both were very good.

These former member bands sometimes style themselves as ‘somebody’s (insert band name)’

I saw ‘Ian Anderson’s Jethro Tull’, Anderson plus others, a couple of years back and pretty good they were too. Ian was full of energy though I was somewhat relieved that he had foresaken his spandex tights. He’s 70, your crotch around your knees is not very rock ‘n roll.

Perhaps where a former member or two is involved maybe a Legacy Band?

Another variation on the tribute band, is where a former member of a band revives the old band and tours under the original name, although they may be the only member of the original line up.

There are two versions of Wishbone Ash.

Each version of the band only features one of the original members.

The original member of one of the bands having legal title over the name.

The "official" Wishbone Ash plays not only the music from the original bands 1970's heyday, but plays lots of more recent material.

The "unofficial" Wishbone Ash just plays the original 1970's material. It's sole original member actually founded the original band.

Which version of Wishbone Ash could be considered as the real band?

Could either or both of them be considered as "tribute bands"?

Don't start me off. 

In the 1980s we had Yes formed of Chris Squire, Trevor Rabin, Tony Kaye and Alan White on tour; as well as Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Rick Wakeman, and Steve Howe touring as ABWH. 

Both were performing live versions of the same Yes songs and who can say neither had a right to do that? The late Chris Squire retained the right to call his band Yes because he was the founder member, but were they really both just tribute bands to their past glories?

(I am aware that ABWH released albums of new material, but it was the old songs the fans came to hear). 

A lot of "original" bands become tribute acts to themselves, even if they keep all the original lineup. I saw Kiss in around 1998, when they were touring the hilariously cheesy "Psycho Circus" album, from which they managed to play about 3 songs (and infuriatingly despite having about 35 albums of material, decided to pad the set with a drum solo and a guitar solo...), the rest being the hits from the 70s when they had the makeup on the first time.

These days they've got rid of Peter Criss and Ace Frehley, but stuck their replacements into the same makeup and Spandex outfits that the originals used to wear...

Any band that doesn't do new music and just tours their hits is basically a tribute act. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As they get on, there's a shortage of original members, there's only 3 Stones and half the Who left.

I wonder if the remaining members of The Who have revised the My Generation lyric 'l hope I die before I get old'.....

Al