TTS Decoders - Updated JMRI Decoder File - New Update 25/4/20 Britannia, Rebuilt Merchant Navy and Function Labels added to all Locos See page 3

beejack

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

Thanks for the files.

I have had a busy couple of days.  Windows decided one of my Hard drives needed repairing and proceeded to hide over 1TB worth of files so have been slowly trying to recover them.  A slow process but luckily nothing new had been written to the drive so the data appears intact - I think!

A few more Locomotives need to be added and the sound volume tab links to be updated for each loco so that the correct sound labels are displayed for each loco.

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

the 2 main pages with CV info

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the PDF,  I will try and get this added as soon as possible and post the updated file.

Brian

Hi Rob

....Windows decided ....

Staying off topic a moment longer - recently a Win 10 update removed permission to view from all of my photo folders. It was a five step procedure for each folder to regrant my permission. I was unable to fettle the top level folder and have it flow down to each sub folder. You can imagine I got steamed up a tad when I found out the next update had pulled the plug on these folders again.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Which would have added much to the sticky thread in DCC Sound 

I agree it would, but I didn't want to hijack the thread and was really asking for help and info. 

I have just posted in the sticky thread so Rob can add it to his opening post.

I did tag the OP with TTS Decoders so anyone searching for TTS would be able to find it as was suggested by Rob.

I ran the 4MT around the layout and made sure it was working properly before rereading the decoder, and it still reads CV8=25. 

The only thing I can think of is that Hornby used someone else as a contractor to manufacture the TTS decoder for the MN. Either that or there was a simple error when programming the decoders for their manufacturer code.

• RMweb Gold

I have now attached the latest file to the OP.  The old file will remain for a few days.

Updates include:

• Class 08 added
  • Class 43 HST Added
  • Additional option of reset volume values only added (CV 8 value 5)

post-1773-0-29623000-1535823367.jpg

post-1773-0-59724600-1535823385.jpg

Click reset and select factory reset, in the next window click the dropdown box and select either reset all CV’s or Reset Sound Levels only.

(see thumbnails below)

Full list of locomotives now available

• Class 08
  • Class 20
  • Class 31
  • Class 37
  • Class 40
  • Class 43 HST
  • Class 47
  • Class 60
  • Class 67
  • BR Standard Class 8 (Duke of Gloucester)
  • Pacific Class A3 (Flying Scotsman)
  • Fowler 2P
  • BR 9F
  • Fowler 4F
  • Pacific Class A4 (Mallard & Gladwell)
  • Gresley Class P2 (Cock O’ the North)

Locomotives still to be added

• Castle class
  • Coronation class
  • Merchant Navy
  • 5MT Black 5
  • Maunsell S15 class
  • Peppercorn class A1 (Tornado)

Edited by beejack

• RMweb Gold

I ran the 4MT around the layout and made sure it was working properly before rereading the decoder, and it still reads CV8=25. 

The only thing I can think of is that Hornby used someone else as a contractor to manufacture the TTS decoder for the MN. Either that or there was a simple error when programming the decoders for their manufacturer code.

If you have JMRI  add a new loco.  Don't bother reading the chip, just select one of the other TTS steam locos.  In the box that opens give it a name and the correct address of the chip and save. Open the comprehensive programmer  and click on the CV tab. Read the full sheet and see what CV values 7 , 8 and 159 have.

The Merchant will be added in the next update.

• RMweb Premium

Brian,

I am helping a friend tune his sound locos and he has a V2 2-6-0 that has a chip retro fitted. I wonder if in the listings you can help me identify the decoder?

CV8 = 48 which tells me its a Hornby decoder, however CV7 = 9

Cheers

Peter 

• RMweb Gold

Hello Peter 

Couldn't find anything in the lists I have, but I took a quick look on the net and on the Hornby forum there was a post referring to two TTS chips one being for the A1/A3 and the other for the A4 both were showing a value of  9.  This was a post form about 12 months ago.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

New issue raised on Github and decoder file attached.

Hopefully it will be included in a later build of JMRI

I have been struggling to find the TTS manuals for the following Steam Locomotives:

• Castle class
  • Coronation class
  • Merchant Navy
  • 5MT Black 5
  • Maunsell S15 class

If anyone has a copy of any of the manuals and could scan it in and post here or Pm me I would be grateful.

• Like 2

If you have JMRI  add a new loco.  Don't bother reading the chip, just select one of the other TTS steam locos.  In the box that opens give it a name and the correct address of the chip and save. Open the comprehensive programmer  and click on the CV tab. Read the full sheet and see what CV values 7 , 8 and 159 have.

The Merchant will be added in the next update.

I'll do that the next time I fire up the computer with JMRI on it, and report back after that.

I have been struggling to find the TTS manuals for the following Steam Locomotives:

• Castle class
  • Coronation class
  • Merchant Navy
  • 5MT Black 5
  • Maunsell S15 class

If anyone has a copy of any of the manuals and could scan it in and post here or Pm me I would be grateful.

I'll have to find the MN manual but will scan it for you once I find it again.

• Castle class
  • Coronation class
  • Merchant Navy
  • 5MT Black 5
  • Maunsell S15 class
The link to the Black 5 on the Hornby site leads to an A1/3 TTS leaflet but here are the functions from the product page...R3385TTS

post-7193-0-48154900-1536235104_thumb.jpeg

Rob

• RMweb Gold

The link to the Black 5 on the Hornby site leads to an A1/3 TTS leaflet but here are the functions from the product page...R3385TTS

attachicon.gifBE5FABA3-6FFD-4421-9A71-286E09DD3140.jpeg

Rob

Black 5 link now leads to correct manual.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/media/4-1535_Black_5_Sound_Manual.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Updated file now posted

This file includes the Hall Class Locomotive.

I have also reinserted the original class 37 and 40 decoder definition plus the class 66 as any roster entries made with original decoder file would not be usable.  Neither are selectable when adding a new Loco and are purely added for legacy reasons.  

The Hall class sound manual is here:

https://www.Hornby.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/4-1501A-Class-4900-Hall-Sound-Manual1.pdf

Brian

Edited by beejack

• RMweb Gold

Decoder file updated 1/10/18 to include Merchant Navy and King Class Locomotives. 

This file has now been renamed HornbyTTS.xml  to allow it to replace the existing decoder file rather than adding as an additional file.  More info on how to do this will come in a future post.

Merchant Navy

https://www.Hornby.com/us-en/servicesheets/index/download/id/1963/

King Class

https://www.Hornby.com/wp/wp.../11/4-1510A-King-Class-TTS-Sound-Manual.pdf

Still looking for TTS sound manuals for the following:

Castle Class

A1 Tornado

Coronation Class

Although I have the function lists for these, I am not willing to add them until I have a copy of the appropriate manual to ensure all the volume level entries are correctly identified.

Brian

Edited by beejack

• RMweb Gold

Please be aware if you use the following method to replace the HornbyTTS file and you subsequently update JMRI to a newer version, JMRI may overwrite the file with the default installation file which may not be as up-to-date. 

Using the method to import a decoder file via the file drop down menu to add the updated file JMRI will not overwrite the file when being updated to a newer version.

In order to replace the default HornbyTTS.xml file installed with JMRI, follow the following process.

1. Navigate to the drive and folder JMRI was installed to as default JMRI is installed in

C:\Program Files (x86)

2. In the JMRI Folder Navigate to

C:\Program Files (x86)\JMRI\xml\decoders

3. Delete the existing HornbyTTS file (may need admin permission)

4. Copy the new HornbyTTS file and paste it in

C:\Program Files (x86)\JMRI\xml\decoders(will require admin permission)

5. Start decoder Pro.

6. In the loco roster go to the menu bar and click on the Actions drop down menu and select Recreate decoder index.

It will seem as though nothing is happening and the drop down menu will stay visible.  This will eventually disappear once the index has been updated.

Restart decoder pro and the new locos will be available when adding a new loco.

Note if you have any roster entries that don’t appear to work any more,  Use the Actions drop down menu and select update decoder definitions. 

This will allow you to manually select a new decoder definition for any orphaned roster entries.

Brian

Edited by beejack

• RMweb Gold

Decoder file updated 1/10/18 to include Merchant Navy and King Class Locomotives. 

This file has now been renamed HornbyTTS.xml  to allow it to replace the existing decoder file rather than adding as an additional file.  More info on how to do this will come in a future post.

Merchant Navy

https://www.Hornby.com/us-en/servicesheets/index/download/id/1963/

King Class

https://www.Hornby.com/wp/wp.../11/4-1510A-King-Class-TTS-Sound-Manual.pdf

Still looking for TTS sound manuals for the following:

Castle Class

A1 Tornado

Coronation Class

Although I have the function lists for these, I am not willing to add them until I have a copy of the appropriate manual to ensure all the volume level entries are correctly identified.

Brian

Brian, 

Thank you for all the time and effort you are putting into this. Will these new profiles in JMRI enable functions to be remapped? Hitherto I understood that it wasn't possible to remap functions on these decoders because the information was not available to Decoderpro.

Thanks.

Geoff

Brian, 

Thank you for all the time and effort you are putting into this. Will these new profiles in JMRI enable functions to be remapped? Hitherto I understood that it wasn't possible to remap functions on these decoders because the information was not available to Decoderpro.

Only if the information on how to remap functions has been provided, either by experimentation, or from Hornby.  

I wrote the original TTS files for DecoderPro which Brian has now extended and enhanced to cover more recent models.   At the time, there was no information on function remapping from Hornby, so it couldn't be done manually on a DCC system, and thus couldn't be done by DecoderPro (because DecoderPro can't do magical things).   

Its important to realise that all that DecoderPro does is a lot(*) of CV reads and writes, then presents the results for the user.  You can do exactly the same with manual read/writes on your DCC system and a big bit of paper to record the results. 

(* lot = tens, often hundreds, and in a few decoder models, many thousands of reads and writes ). 

• RMweb Gold

Only if the information on how to remap functions has been provided, either by experimentation, or from Hornby.  

I wrote the original TTS files for DecoderPro which Brian has now extended and enhanced to cover more recent models.   At the time, there was no information on function remapping from Hornby, so it couldn't be done manually on a DCC system, and thus couldn't be done by DecoderPro (because DecoderPro can't do magical things).   

Its important to realise that all that DecoderPro does is a lot(*) of CV reads and writes, then presents the results for the user.  You can do exactly the same with manual read/writes on your DCC system and a big bit of paper to record the results. 

(* lot = tens, often hundreds, and in a few decoder models, many thousands of reads and writes ). 

Yes, thank you Nigel. I understood that from your reply to my previous question on this subject. I just wondered if, since he has done all this work on TTS definitions in JMRI, Brian had managed to get the information to enable re-mapping. Perhaps I asked the wrong question or the right one in the wrong way.

Geoff

If by remapping TTS functions you mean swapping a sound or action from one F button to another that is not possible within the decoder firmware/software, such as can be done with ESU sound decoders for example. It would require Decoder-Pro to provide a pseudo remapping at software screen ‘controller’ level e.g. the screen button may now say F5 but it actually still works F10 in the decoder. From previous discussion this remap appears unlikely.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Brian, 

Thanks.

Geoff

Hello Geoff

Unfortunately as Nigel and Rob have already said, there isn't any way to remap the functions.  Only the CV's listed in the manual can be read and not all can be written to.  

Don't forget the TTS decoder is based on the R8249 decoder and as such is a fairly basic decoder when it comes to being able to alter CV's.

All I have really done to the file is to increase the list of TTS Decoders that decoder pro can recognise when the chips are read and to populate the sound level tab in the programmer for each TTS decoder added so that the volume levels can be adjusted for each sound from within decoder pro.

Brian

• Like 1