parcel and sundries van

Job's Modelling

I’m a modelling small dioramas on which I want to suggest the parcel and sundries traffic.

Until know my fictive Northall was situated in an urban environment, but I like to transfer that to a more rural one, set in the Western Region in the late 1950’s

I have a couple of British Railway road vans from Classix and Oxford models. But I know these are not always correct.

I have the following vans with a W on it:

Austin K2

Fordson Thames Estate

Morris J

Mechanical Horse 3 wheel

post-11675-0-05698100-1536136449.jpg

I have a couple of questions:

What vans can I use?

Do you have suggestions for other vans usable in a rural environment?

If the Austin K2 is correct how can I improve it, except from weathering?

post-11675-0-92680800-1536136494.jpg

What was the use of a Fordson Thames Estate by British Railways?

I like to use prototypical vans on my next diorama’s.

Looking forward to your answers and suggestions.

Kind regards,

Job

Edited by Job's Modelling
  • Like 1

I’m a modelling small dioramas on which I want to suggest the parcel and sundries traffic.

Until know my fictive Northall was situated in an urban environment, but I like to transfer that to a more rural one, set in the Western Region in the late 1950’s

I have a couple of British Railway road vans from Classix and Oxford models. But I know these are not always correct.

I have the following vans with a W on it:

Austin K2

Fordson Thames Estate

Morris J

Mechanical Horse 3 wheel

attachicon.gifScammel Scarab in Angel Yard.JPG

I have a couple of questions:

What vans can I use?

Do you have suggestions for other vans usable in a rural environment?

If the Austin K2 is correct how can I improve it, except from weathering?

attachicon.gifAustin K2-K30 Lorry 1939 - British Railways.jpg

What was the use of a Fordson Thames Estate by British Railways?

I like to use prototypical vans on my next diorama’s.

Looking forward to your answers and suggestions.

Kind regards,

Job

Austin K2 vans not common on the W R, Thornycroft and Morris Commercials were bought.

Fordson Thames estate, which model ?

Morris J was used on the W R by engineers departments.

Scammell 3 wheel platform lorry. I think this was a one off.

Tanks every one for the replies.

I will weather and finish the Austin K2 for the time being.

When I have bought a missing kit for a shop and some white metal figures for the diorama I'm building, I will go for the Morris Commercial from John Day Models.

Will skip the Mechanical Horse.

I saw that Springside models is selling this Thornycroft parcel van:

post-11675-0-13025400-1536226180.jpg

Was it still used in the Western region in the late 1950's. I found a picture of in British Railways cream/maroon livery in the "Railway owned commercial vehicles" Midland region.

This is the Ford estate. I don't know where they were used for.

post-11675-0-42370600-1536225733.jpg

More information of the Morris Commercial and the Thornycroft  is welcome.

Kind regards,

Job

• Like 1

When I have bought a missing kit for a shop and some white metal figures for the diorama I'm building, I will go for the Morris Commercial from John Day Models.

attachicon.gifThornycraft parcel van.jpg

Was it still used in the Western region in the late 1950's. I found a picture of in British Railways cream/maroon livery in the "Railway owned commercial vehicles" Midland region.

attachicon.gifEM76623-LN-04_3186497_Qty1_2.jpg

Kind regards,

Job

Job, I always like to share the information I have on the road fleet. Unfortunately my collection of photographs can not be reproduced here. 

Starting with the Fordson Estate, this is one of the Classix models, many of which were fictional, in the old way of taking an existing model and painting in B R livery. Numbering was made up and as far as I know B R had none of these, only plain vans.

The Springside van dates from the late 20s and probably never made it to B R. I am unable to find a photo of one in red/cream in any of the books. 

The John Day Morris Com. parcels van was a Midland Region body, the Western ones were different. Could be modified or a new body built.

The Thornycrofts on the Western had mainly Swindon built bodies and there are plenty of photos in the books. Most of the Western Morris' had the earlier chassis than the John Day version.

Merf.

• Like 1

Thanks Merfyn.

Apologies for the mistake I made the photo I quoted. That was a Dennis.

I couldn't find any good pictures of an ex-GWR parcel van or BR parcel vehicle on Internet for the Western Region.

In the book of "Railway owned commercial vehicles" I found a picture of a Morris Commercial FV5 in BR livery and a three ton Scarab.

There also some pictures of Western Region vehicles for container use. These are not suitable for me.

Is this also a possibility: 1946 Vulcan 6PF flatbed from Scalelink?

Do you have any other suggestion and additional information for me? 

Regards,

Job

Edited by Job's Modelling
  • Like 1

Thanks Merfyn.

Apologies for the mistake I made the photo I quoted. That was a Dennis.

I couldn't find any good pictures of an ex-GWR parcel van or BR parcel vehicle on Internet for the Western Region.

In the book of "Railway owned commercial vehicles" I found a picture of a Morris Commercial FV5 in BR livery and a three ton Scarab.

There also some pictures of Western Region vehicles for container use. These are not suitable for me.

Is this also a possibility: 1946 Vulcan 6PF flatbed from Scalelink?

Do you have any other suggestion and additional information for me? 

Regards,

Job

A PM sent which may help, a list including W R motors.

The pic in ROCV is a Midland Region van next to the Scarab, not a FV5 but the NVS, different body to those on the WR. A nice shot of an FV5 WR van does appear in the book and may be available from RTI in kit form

Don't know the Scalelink Vulcan, but the WR did have a few.

Merf.

The Scalelink kit is expansive, so it must wait a while. See the picture:

post-11675-0-31040800-1536321026.jpg

I will start with the Austin K2 for now. Did some research for a poster and think a quad royal 40 in x 50 in can be used. This is one of the posters I found:

post-11675-0-89607600-1536321290.jpg

Regards,

Job

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifThornycraft parcel van.jpg

attachicon.gifEM76623-LN-04_3186497_Qty1_2.jpg

Kind regards,

Job

These sort of vehicles were used as 'calling up' buses for footplate staff, usually at the larger sheds.

Totally non scientific but going by photos that have surfaced on the net the Fordson Thames ET6 ( also done by Pocketbond Classix )   in van and flat body form seems to far out number any other 1950's  BR middleweight vehicles. 

In fact I can't recall seeing a photo of an Austin K2 in BR livery. Que dozens of examples :)

Incidentally the snappily titled book -

'A Pictorial Parade of Southern Region Road Vehicles' 

Consists entirely of sharp full page photos of 50's BR  vehicles albeit Southern Region. Quite cheap now on Amazon.

Because it uses photos and notes from a former Road Vehicles Inspector it also tells you how the various vehicles performed in service which makes a change from the usual dry facts and figures. The Karrier Bantam tractor units appear to have been rubbish !

post-3430-0-93688100-1536390999.jpg

Edited by jcb 3c
  • Like 1

Totally non scientific but going by photos that have surfaced on the net the Fordson Thames ET6 ( also done by Pocketbond Classix )   in van and flat body form seems to far out number any other 1950's  BR middleweight vehicles. 

In fact I can't recall seeing a photo of an Austin K2 in BR livery. Que dozens of examples :)

Incidentally the snappily titled book -

'A Pictorial Parade of Southern Region Road Vehicles' 

Consists entirely of sharp full page photos of 50's BR  vehicles albeit Southern Region. Quite cheap now on Amazon.

Because it uses photos and notes from a former Road Vehicles Inspector it also tells you how the various vehicles performed in service which makes a change from the usual dry facts and figures. The Karrier Bantam tractor units appear to have been rubbish !

attachicon.gif51Wwkop0CjL._SY391_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thanks for that one. I will look for more background information to get the picture right.

• Like 1