Newman Miniatures: N and 00 Scale 3D-Printed Scratch Aids

After a little hiatus for another non-modelling railway project (to be announced), things are well and truly back with several new designs in the works - including a rail tractor in N and 00 and the broad-gauger 'Vulcan' in both tank and tender form.

Rail Tractor Render#.jpg

VulcanRender2#.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Two more slowly developing - Dean's experimental 4-2-4 express tank and his later 'Single' - both in N Gauge.

The broad-gauge and rail tractor above have now both been released - 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WBM9LWVWH/n-gauge-rail-tractor-and-truck-motorised

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SVEUBA42Y/vulcan-broad-gauge-locomotive-rebuild-n-scale

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LMMNUDWED/vulcan-broad-gauge-locomotive-as-built-n-scale

https://www.shapeways.com/product/H4AGB9H9A/broad-gauge-tender-n-scale-v2

#DeansRender.jpg

Edited by Rudititanic
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

More releases are on their way, but here are the new N Gauge 'Single' driving wheels - each pack containing two sets ready-gauged and two sets of loose wheels for standard or broad gauge use. Although not finescale they work well on code 80 track and look better than having a superfluous crank pin.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/B4GPVF6JA/n-gauge-single-loco-wheels

IMG_2925#.jpg

IMG_2927#.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A big new project is currently developing - 3D printing an entire engine, from body and coupling to wheels and working motion.  The French 'L'Aigle' was an obvious candidate, having the biggest standard-gauge wheels, and so far runs very healthily!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2022 at 16:17, Rudititanic said:

Now the Crampton is complete in N Gauge, is there interest in seeing a version in 00? It will only be done if there is enough demand...

After a period of reflection, and watching the video, I'd like to upgrade my upvote to a message: Yes, I am interested in a 00 version.

Cheers

Tom

• Like 1

It depends ....

If you mean re-draw this for 4mm scale, I'd say an emphatic 'yes'. Your re-drawn 'finescale' Derwent is magnificent. And I'd love a Crampton.

image.png.97f4e651c7d6fe2afd5efe23a7668d6a.png

But if what you are proposing is a super-sized N-gauge version, I'd say 'no'. In my experience what looks superb in N gauge does not work well in OO gauge, resulting in overscale and crude features, missing detail etc. The amount of work needed to overcome this and make it look scale in 4mm is phenomenal.  I know!

image.png.3e49bc9f7fb7d0bfb90d19d4027104fd.png

image.png.7dc2ffa9105b6627d4fbaacd706f09b9.png

image.png.02dc876510ac87d71c58267b8a71671b.png

I love my Lion, but would I want to take on such a task again?  No. 

I apologise if this sounds a bit negative, it's bound to, but I have found that you just cannot expect an enlarged version of something designed for 2mm scale to pass muster at twice the size. Also, I appreciate that your interest is N gauge and the OO versions are a bit of an optional extra, but your range could, if items were re-drawn to OO gauge levels of detail and tolerances, be a truly wonderful resource for modellers in that scale and I would encourage you, to the point of begging, to make it so! 

I would love your Planet Class and Patentee. Indeed, I'd take several of the former to run with all that Hornby L&M stock. However, based on the Lion print, I know that I could not achieve the necessary refinement however much work I put in to a super-sized N gauge print. 

If you could be persuaded to re-draw your Planet Class to 4mil, I'd scatter rose petals and pound notes at your feet. Indeed, you could say that about pretty much all of your range, including any Crampton you may add to it.  Indeed, my re-drawn wish list would be topped by Planet, Patentee, Northumbrian, Copperknob and now add the Crampton. 

So, sorry again if that;s not the sort of answer you were looking for, but I would love to see more 4mil-drawn locos, including a Crampton, if you're minded. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/12/2022 at 07:54, Edwardian said:

It depends ....

Edwardian, thank you for the detailed response – an accurate answer is always welcome.  You raise several points which I hope the following will adequately address.

Starting with the 00 Lion of 2018, this model was:

·         My first 3D rescale

·         My first 00 3D print

·         My first 00 rolling stock design/scratchbuild (in any construction medium)

As you note I personally model in N Gauge, having not touched 00 since school days (bar a few recent RTR exceptions), so this was undertaken with nearly no experience in the scale and virtually none in the medium at that stage.  In one regard your model, excellently amended, fitted my ambition for the print at that time exactly – an entry-level ‘scratch aid’ that could be modified based on the modeller’s experience to refine it as they saw fit.  I will note that subsequent models have all seen refinements during the rescaling process (even Lion to a degree) – none are a literal rescale and all have been adjusted part by part for the larger scale even if just by ensuring correct dimensions/loading gauge and reducing part thicknesses.  Modelling is always a learning curve! 

Secondly you mention detail tolerances.  In many cases I do add/amend details where elsewise unacceptable in a pure rescale (eg safety valves), and all models are described and intended as ‘scratch aids’ rather than complete kits.  Importantly a fundamental issue to what details can be included are the tolerances of the plastics.  The cheaper Shapeways Natural Versatile Plastic cannot crisply take very fine detail (your Derwent’s narrower boiler cladding, for example, would merge into an essentially flat surface).  The minimum thickness for self-supporting details is c.0.8mm, so between these issues there is a need to emphasise some aspects to ensure they are visible/crisp.  This naturally results in a balance between oversizing versus outright omission.  As you know there is a finer detail plastic (ala your Derwent), but this results in a significant price increase for a comparative difference in fineness of c.0.2-0.4mm.  Demonstrating the market, around two thirds of all 00 sales have been in Natural Versatile Plastic, and of 11 Derwents sold (in 00), only three were the detail version you pushed for (including yours).  Again as noted, with 00 models not being made for myself and my policy of keeping markups low to aid affordability there would therefore be additional time/work involved (your word was ‘phenomenal’) for what therefore would only be a limited return. 

Lastly, you note how you would be interested in numerous models if they were to be redrawn with fine detail as per your Derwent.  I do now take occasional commissions, and if you are interested I would be more than happy to discuss bespoke amendments to your requirements – please PM if so.  Most rescales are now undertaken through this process; it is more sustainable for myself and the modellers get what they specifically want.

As a general addendum, I will now be releasing a 4mm Crampton in due course, using the N version as a base but fine-tuned as outlined above to better suit 00 tolerances within the stipulations of Natural Versatile Plastic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, Rudititanic said:

Edwardian, thank you for the detailed response – an accurate answer is always welcome.  You raise several points which I hope the following will adequately address.

Starting with the 00 Lion of 2018, this model was:

·         My first 3D rescale

·         My first 00 3D print

·         My first 00 rolling stock design/scratchbuild (in any construction medium)

As you note I personally model in N Gauge, having not touched 00 since school days (bar a few recent RTR exceptions), so this was undertaken with nearly no experience in the scale and virtually none in the medium at that stage.  In one regard your model, excellently amended, fitted my ambition for the print at that time exactly – an entry-level ‘scratch aid’ that could be modified based on the modeller’s experience to refine it as they saw fit.  I will note that subsequent models have all seen refinements during the rescaling process (even Lion to a degree) – none are a literal rescale and all have been adjusted part by part for the larger scale even if just by ensuring correct dimensions/loading gauge and reducing part thicknesses.  Modelling is always a learning curve! 

Secondly you mention detail tolerances.  In many cases I do add/amend details where elsewise unacceptable in a pure rescale (eg safety valves), and all models are described and intended as ‘scratch aids’ rather than complete kits.  Importantly a fundamental issue to what details can be included are the tolerances of the plastics.  The cheaper Shapeways Natural Versatile Plastic cannot crisply take very fine detail (your Derwent’s narrower boiler cladding, for example, would merge into an essentially flat surface).  The minimum thickness for self-supporting details is c.0.8mm, so between these issues there is a need to emphasise some aspects to ensure they are visible/crisp.  This naturally results in a balance between oversizing versus outright omission.  As you know there is a finer detail plastic (ala your Derwent), but this results in a significant price increase for a comparative difference in fineness of c.0.2-0.4mm.  Demonstrating the market, around two thirds of all 00 sales have been in Natural Versatile Plastic, and of 11 Derwents sold (in 00), only three were the detail version you pushed for (including yours).  Again as noted, with 00 models not being made for myself and my policy of keeping markups low to aid affordability there would therefore be additional time/work involved (your word was ‘phenomenal’) for what therefore would only be a limited return. 

Lastly, you note how you would be interested in numerous models if they were to be redrawn with fine detail as per your Derwent.  I do now take occasional commissions, and if you are interested I would be more than happy to discuss bespoke amendments to your requirements – please PM if so.  Most rescales are now undertaken through this process; it is more sustainable for myself and the modellers get what they specifically want.

As a general addendum, I will now be releasing a 4mm Crampton in due course, using the N version as a base but fine-tuned as outlined above to better suit 00 tolerances within the stipulations of Natural Versatile Plastic. 

Thank you for that.

It is difficult to give an honest answer to the question "what do you want?" without seeming critical of what you have done. As you explain, there are good reasons why the OO gauge models are as they are, not least the economic constraints caused by Shapeways pricing. It would not be the first time that what a customer wants is impractical for a manufacturer! 

I do have other prints of yours, as well as Derwent (I do need to work out a solution for the motion!). I greatly cherish the LNWR break van - earmarked for the Norfolk Minerals Railway - and your Freelance tram loco. The latter I happily set about in the spirit of a scratch-aid to produce something unique (!) and - spoiler alert - it is destined for the Bishop's Lynn Tramway in due course. 

It is reassuring, however, to read that OO products are already refined beyond the Lion print I have. It might be that I would tackle some as is. However, as I would be ordering in one of the finer grades of material that would accept more detail, I will PM you to seek your views on options for adding detail, and I thank you for the invitation to communicate. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2022 at 12:12, Rudititanic said:

Well, that escalated fast! I've just looked at your shop and seen the 00 version, so I will put my money where my mouth is and buy one. And then spend at least 3 years putting it together, I daresay.

I'll probably go for WSF, since I'm not one of those billionaires that we hear so much about these days.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Well, that escalated fast!

One tries to be efficient!  ;)  I've designed it with various potential methods of construction to suit different levels so hopefully won't be too challenging, and the frame clearances should prove no problem (if doable in N, 00 is roomy...).  Production costs are outside my control but I hope you enjoy.  

https://www.shapeways.com/product/FZA7F2P6K/00-scale-lnwr-crampton-loco-scratch-aid

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SZUTKGC86/00-scale-lnwr-crampton-tender-scratch-aid

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G8YKPW4SE/00-scale-lnwr-crampton-motion-pack

#Crampton00Render3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Modifying an extant file like this can be tricky (and in honesty I'm not familiar with these software programmes), but depending on file size you might have some success in Tinkercad.  Worse come I'm sure there are non-extended E2s already available on Shapeways.  

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

One of the prints produced by our host enlarged to 00 gauge is the 'freelance steam tram'. 

This I bought thinking it would adapt well for the Bishop's Lynn Tramway; I wanted something suitable as a 'mainline' or railway tram, rather than a street tram, but nice and boxy. In other words, I wanted a West Norfolk Railway equivalent to the famous GER tram locos, the G15 and C53, without copying their distinctive wooden planked 'brake van' bodies. 

The Newman Miniatures print is billed as a 'scratch-aid' and is a stimulating starting point for customisation and detailing. So, here is my effort at fitting one out for railway use.

Before (sanded and sprayed in  filler-primer):

1146703103_IMG_1253-Copy.JPG.6a9e48ad7dbba1c3fc46541f9024ff21.JPG

After: 

20221229_143747.jpg.bf5df4417781d87ff822106261a722d4.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

One of the prints produced by our host enlarged to 00 gauge is the 'freelance steam tram'. 

This I bought thinking it would adapt well for the Bishop's Lynn Tramway; I wanted something suitable as a 'mainline' or railway tram, rather than a street tram, but nice and boxy. I other words, I wanted a West Norfolk Railway equivalent to the famous GER tram locos, the G15 and C53, without copying their distinctive wooden planked 'brake van' bodies. 

The Newman Miniatures print is billed as a 'scratch-aid' and is a stimulating starting point for customisation and detailing. So, here is my effort at fitting one out for railway use.

Before (sanded and sprayed in  filler-primer):

1146703103_IMG_1253-Copy.JPG.6a9e48ad7dbba1c3fc46541f9024ff21.JPG

After: 

20221229_143747.jpg.bf5df4417781d87ff822106261a722d4.jpg

Very nice indeed James, - I do like that.  I like it a lot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1