HST TLUK and TCSD

nightstar.train

• RMweb Premium

I’m looking for photos and info on the HST TLUK lounge car (40513) and the TCSD conductor disabled car (45084).

Did the lounge car make it into swallow livery? Did it get used much? If people hired the TLUK did they shunt another coach out, or did they run an extra long HST.

Was the TCSD used with a TGS in the train as well, or was it a substitute for It?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Both quite rare for pics, google search throws  up few  As far as I can tell the only external change was the legend on the side.  Pretty certain never made Swallow as it was exported to Ireland and converted into thr push pull buffet 6102 - almost identical to the WSMR buffet/ kitchen conversions.   

The office  conversion equally rare but a good article on Modern Railways about the conversion - June 1993 and has one external photo of the office side,The HST books also use same photo but otherside seems unchanged from the plan.

Robert  

If people hired the TLUK did they shunt another coach out, or did they run an extra long HST?

I only saw 40513 in use on a couple of occasions on the WR. Each time it had been added to an existing set between the first TF and the power car to create an extra long HST. There is more information in posts 14105 and 14106 on Dave F's Photo thread, including the official operating instructions for the Executive Saloon: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85326-dave-fs-photos-ongoing-more-added-15th-september/?p=3293553

David

On 16/09/2018 at 01:46, nightstar.train said:

I’m looking for photos and info on the HST TLUK lounge car (40513) and the TCSD conductor disabled car (45084).

Did the lounge car make it into swallow livery? Did it get used much? If people hired the TLUK did they shunt another coach out, or did they run an extra long HST.

The lounge car was in Swallow livery from 1988. A photo can be seen here:

https://80srail.zenfolio.com/p746052712/e163870e8

with the revised branding and smaller numbers. Note that it no longer says "InterCity Executive Saloon" just "INTERCITY" like other swallow coaches.

It was added to a normal HST to make 9 cars. https://www.flickr.com/photos/taysider64/15637766670/sizes/l

1129345112_TLUKTayBridgeSouth29August1985.jpg.5e299a85382c637536910628cfc12217.jpg

Note that this is the original livery with InterCity Executive Saloon and the grey upper band extended up onto the roof.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

with the revised branding and smaller numbers. Note that it no longer says "InterCity Executive Saloon" just "INTERCITY" like other swallow coaches.

It was added to a normal HST to make 9 cars. Apologies for not being able to identify the source of the photo below, as soon as I can I will credit it.

attachicon.gifTLUK Tay Bridge South 29 August 1985.jpg

Note that this is the original livery with InterCity Executive Saloon and the grey upper band extended up onto the roof.

It’s interesting that it didn’t have a coloured stripe, despite it being a catering vehicle.

Strictly speaking it was no longer a catering vehicle, it was an on-hire special. Therefore Travellers Fare staff didn't need to look for it when relieving shifts and the public didn't need to know about it either. I would have thought that the party involved in hiring the vehicle would have been specially guiding to it at the start of their journey.

Regarding the external appearance it was exactly the same as a TRUK (TRFK) apart from the fact it had its own toilet. This meant it had a toilet window on the kitchen side of the vehicle which the TRUK didn't. Incidentally, this was exactly the same arrangement as the prototype RUK (10100, 40500) and proves that the vehicle in the photo on Dave Fs page is a TRFK (along with the date) and not the TLUK.

Below is my Lima body shell still awaiting painting after two years:

396055963_TLUKcorridorside.jpg.567cef520b5df907b233570bd2dcc3bd.jpg

1558309559_TLUKkitchenside.jpg.bf1826e8293c8172a7e9aa6363ceff86.jpg

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It was added to a normal HST to make 9 cars. https://www.flickr.com/photos/taysider64/15637766670/sizes/l

attachicon.gifTLUK Tay Bridge South 29 August 1985.jpg

Here's 40513 while still carrying the original Inter-City Executive Saloon Branding.  Reading 20.03.87 in Set 34 working the 15.00 Paddington-Swansea.

post-4127-0-65080100-1537104732_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Also notice how it's been marshalled the other way round, with the saloon nearest the power car.

Earlier photos and the working instruction had the kitchen end to the PC.

Yes, possibly a positioning move and perhaps not in use on 20.03.87, but can confirm it was on the next shot, with the saloon marhsalled next to the power car..  Hired by the English China Clay corporation to convey a delegation to Parliament on 04.03.87, formed in Set 28 with power cars 43138/017 passing West Ealing on the 05.07 Penzance-Paddington.  It worked down on the previous night's Golden Hind.  It was extremely unusual to find a 2+9 HST formation on the Western Region in those days and to get the photo it required an early start.  Sadly the weather wasn't conducive, and it's not a great shot.

post-4127-0-08208500-1537111292_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Also notice how it's been marshalled the other way round, with the saloon nearest the power car.

Earlier photos and the working instruction had the kitchen end to the PC.

It may not have been the right way round when it arrived from Bounds Green.

It may not have been the right way round when it arrived from Bounds Green.

There is a couple of photos on Flickr showing the TLUK with converter coaches being turned on a loop using a 47 in 1986 but this may not have been done every time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/frinton/38869274895/in/photolist-rRCRKy-22dKcgH-22dKceZ

https://www.flickr.com/photos/frinton/38869274995/in/photolist-rRCRKy-22dKcgH-22dKceZ

Edited by Flood

Pretty certain never made Swallow as it was exported to Ireland and converted into thr push pull buffet 6102 - almost identical to the WSMR buffet/ kitchen conversions.

I believe that IÉ obtained what became 6102 from GNER in 2004, it being converted to a buffet (branded Café Bar), for use in a Waterford line Mk3 push-pull set.

It is entirely possible it didn't receive Swallow, but I would've thought it would have as if it remained in the UK until 2004, unless I've got my dates wrong.

I believe that IÉ obtained what became 6102 from GNER in 2004, it being converted to a buffet (branded Café Bar), for use in a Waterford line Mk3 push-pull set.

It is entirely possible it didn't receive Swallow, but I would've thought it would have as if it remained in the UK until 2004, unless I've got my dates wrong.

Someone's finger's slipped here : No.6102 was a purpose-built Driving Trailer  -  the former Saloon in question became 6402 : I have a couple of slides of it at Kildare in 2008 but I've no idea how much longer it survived.

Someone's finger's slipped here : No.6102 was a purpose-built Driving Trailer - the former Saloon in question became 6402 : I have a couple of slides of it at Kildare in 2008 but I've no idea how much longer it survived.

Indeed, I seem to have copied the typo, time of night and all ;).

6101-05 were the Driving Brake Generator Standard Mk3 Push-pull Control Cars, 6402 was the unique push-pull buffet. 6105 and 6402 are both preserved.

• 5 months later...

Reviving an old thread...

I don't normally post part finished items on here but I am really pleased how this one has worked out. I'm hoping for an email reply from Railtec some time over the next week for the transfers. After waiting over 2 years the paint job went on remarkably well.

1321110091_TLUK(1).JPG.61ce47367094310585e6946dc4dc1bee.JPG

13203453_TLUK(2).JPG.c69ed59d71afa5ed63492c5e48c2e439.JPG

1552229253_TLUKinterior.JPG.c98a7318732e1a6f1629e9faa0e1b964.JPG

Edited by Flood
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

58 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

That looks lovely flood. How do you do the window frames? That’s always the bit I struggle with. 

A good quality 00 size brush and good condition silver paint on top of the original Lima mouldings.

Plus:

1. The confidence to try (whatever the outcome)

2. Complete immersion in the job with absolutely no distractions

3. The acceptance that you may need to use a cotton bud and turps to remove an attempt in order to try again

These three are probably more important than the brush and paint. If you get the chance to try then do, you might surprise yourself.