The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Insertion of crossing on Webcam Deshler Ohio LIVE NOW

APOLLO

Just seen this on the Webcam (two at this location)

CSX is inserting a new single over double diamond at the very busy Deshler crossing Ohio. It's been planned for months.Work is finally underway

Very interesting to see how the Yanks do it (the workers have just had their morning exercise !!). The crossing was pre fabricated months ago - after today no more trains bouncing across the diamonds (hopefully !!).

It's 11.55 am here in the UK, 06.55 in Deshler. Dark and a bit foggy - sunrise soon and lots of hard graft to be seen today.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 4

They don't mess around with absolute possessions either. First long freight over the new diamond on the main line at 12.00,  5 hours after start of work, balasting and tamping on the other line as the freight passes. 

Time means money over in the USA trains run ASAP - Can Network Rail learn from this ?

Brit15

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I came late to the party but still found it interesting.

Mind you, that ballasting is a bit rough. Where's the bloke with the big paintbrush to smooth it out? And then follow up with the pipette full

of PVA mix???

steve

• Like 1

Left hand one the old depot / station - right hand the old Tower (signalbox) - not used as such though now.

Lots of info here  

http://www.railfanguides.us/oh/deshler/index.htm

https://en-gb.facebook.com/DeshlerCrossroadsPark/

Don't forget you can "wind back" the live screens by 4 hours - use the red slider at the bottom.

Brit15

I watched the interesting operation most of yesterday - very interesting. The webmaster of the webcam wrote in the comments he will make a time lapse video of the whole operation and post it on youtube - when he does I'll post a link here.

I think the track lads over there deserve a big "well done" from us webcam viewers - there were over 1500 viewing at one stage yesterday

The trains crossing the new diamonds are a whole lot quieter now - I bet the local residents are pleased !!

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I watched it until late afternoon, had that on a laptop, touring cars on the big tv and was making some changes to my database software on another laptop, my step daughter (17) was doing homework in the other room so was quiet and the Mrs was away for her lads graduation, no spare tickets so I couldn't go - aside from the Mrs being away it was heaven !

A great job, no messing, just get on with it - can NR learn from this ? don't know, don't want to criticise without full knowledge but sometimes jobs seem to take an awful long time for a fairly straight forward task. For example the single line from Reedham Junction (Norfolk) to Great Yarmouth closes at the end of October for several *months* for resignalling work  !

• Like 2

It was an impressive job done, but I must admit, I was comparing safety procedures with what I've just retired from on LUL, and to a certain extant that also covered NR. I think ours are a lot more involved, and dare I say it, safer? I always thought of myself being a sensible but safe person, and initially felt that the training/certification courses were aimed at a very low level of "common sense" (I can't think of a better way of describing it). However, I soon discovered why. Probably not PC correct in saying this either, but there were a very high percentage of people who had a poor standard of English, or were used to a different way of keeping to standards overseas. There were also many contractors (which indeed I was) with no comprehension of railway working methods. Some would be mending roads one day, working on the track the next night (and some who expected to do both within the same 24hrs!). So the courses were necessary.

I believe Deshler was done by CSX staff? For a start, there were no real manual labourers involved, just about everything was done by machine. And weren't the operators skilful?.  I have to admit though, the way the machines were dancing around each other, there were plenty of chances of collisions. There didn't seen to be any obvious Protection Master in charge of safety, and they actually stopped work to let trains through! In our world, a possession is just that, nothing moves through until the job is finished. Before they started work they had a briefing, but were wandering about the tracks before that. After the first train went through, they resumed work, moving about the track, driving vehicles over it etc. No-one visibly present to protect them. As the machinery was working, there were workers very close to the backs of the machines. I could go on - tbh as one who has been in that sort of environment, I felt disturbed by it.

Stewart