Bachmann "Salty " Diesel conversion

mikeh

An impulse buy of one of these on Ebay lead me to have a go at making an industrial shunter for my proposed Nailcote Colliery Sidings layout. Rationale is that the NCB bought some Class 07 lookalike 300 hp 0-6-0DE shunters from Ruston & Hornsby in 1963 to replace Hunslet 0-6-0STs at Nailcote colliery....

The starting point

post-891-127161938111.jpg

While not a bad representation of an 07, the cab is hopelessly out of scale but the bonnets are nicely moulded. For this quick bodge I drilled and filled out the window blanks then cut the cab down by 2mm with a razor saw and glued the top back on. The cab side widows were filed lower to compensate. Bits added were new Oleo buffers and headlights from A1, 51L coupling hooks, horns from Craftsman and Ruston plates from Kalgarin. Some new wire handrails have been added but those along the bonnets remain to be added. Transfers bodged from the Modelmaster NCB wagon sheet.

post-891-127161981891_thumb.jpg

post-891-127161984355_thumb.jpg

post-891-127161986001_thumb.jpg

The mechanism is enclosed in metal and just fits into the bonnets with a PCB with two caps but no DCC socket jutting into the cab. I plan to remove the PCB and fit a small decoder to the cab roof in due course.

Not too bad for £29 plus the bits and a couple of weekends work?

Regards

Mike

Very impressive.

2 questions:

1. I'm guessing it's a USA Bachy?

2. How does it run?

Thanks

steve

Hi Steve

Yes, US but Trains-on-Time on Ebay at least have them.

Do know about running - haven't tried it yet! Will report back...

And for Will...

Yes, I would think would suit O-16.5 nicely

Regards

Mike

An impulse buy of one of these on Ebay lead me to have a go at making an industrial shunter for my proposed Nailcote Colliery Sidings layout. Rationale is that the NCB bought some Class 07 lookalike 300 hp 0-6-0DE shunters from Ruston & Hornsby in 1963 to replace Hunslet 0-6-0STs at Nailcote colliery....

The starting point

post-891-127161938111.jpg

Don't think that I would have painted it in blue, it makes you think of a B.R. loco to much. Looks OK though.

OzzyO

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, really looks the part. You mention them in the plural, so are a few more coming?! Is 'Nailcote' a Warwickshire Colliery model?

Hi Lonergan

I might be tempted to do another but am also tempted to have it transferred away and have it replaced by the Class 14 I just had to buy... I also have a Nightwing/Branchlines Sentinel to build when I get the time.

Nailcote will indeed be a Warwickshire colliery, in the general vicinity of the ill fated "Super Pit" project. It has exchange sidings on the Berkswell-Kenilworth junction line that because of the coal traffic did not close in 1969...

I have the layout planned - just need the time and inclination to build the shed it will live in!

Regards

Mike

Archived