Mystery Train; this time with visual aid!

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Er, 72A was the code for Okehampton shed (inter alia), a shed that might well have provided the loco to work the 5.51 pm starter from there to Padstow.

Errrrrrrrrrrr. 72A was Exmouth Junction in 1960. Okehampton was a Sub Shed only.

Phil

Errrrrrrrrrrr. 72A was Exmouth Junction in 1960. Okehampton was a Sub Shed only.

Yes, I knew that, which is why I said inter-alia. However, locos were regularly allocated to sub-sheds and, given that Ns seem to have been the preferred traction on the North Cornwall line (and certainly regularly worked that train) it is quite likely that a 72A N would have been regularly outstationed at Okehampton. There were probably cyclic diagrams that ensured that oustationed locos regularly visited the parent shed for any servicing that Okehampton couldn't do itself (although it was a fair size for a sub-shed).

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I knew that, which is why I said inter-alia. However, locos were regularly allocated to sub-sheds and, given that Ns seem to have been the preferred traction on the North Cornwall line (and certainly regularly worked that train) it is quite likely that a 72A N would have been regularly outstationed at Okehampton. There were probably cyclic diagrams that ensured that oustationed locos regularly visited the parent shed for any servicing that Okehampton couldn't do itself (although it was a fair size for a sub-shed).

Sorry to be pedantic but Okehampton was a servicing shed only and there were no loco's kept there for local work. All loco diagrams were allocated from Exmouth Junction (and possibly Wadebridge?).

OK there may have been stabling overnight and minor service repairs done but there were, as far as I'm aware, no outstationed (in that they were there for a week as the Radial at Sidmouth) locos in the late 50s and early 1960s. Loco's were sent from 72A to complete diagrams and then returned to 72A, or were stabled overnight if the need was there. 

Edit: you are correct in a way in that (in 1957 at least) there was seemingly and overnight stay by a Wadebridge or EX Junct loco for an early turn and there were Okehampton 'Duty Numbers'.

If you have not got a copy there is a lovely book, Irwell Press: The Okehampton Line.....The Southern Railway Route between Exeter, Tavistock and Plymouth. fascinating read for anyone that has an interest in the time and area.

Thanks though.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

The picture is captioned, in a book I have looked at, as arriving at Halwill in August 1960, destined for Padstow. No mention of the stock but it is a sharper image to which I shall take the magnifier.

Phil

• Like 1