Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Problems creating a three way tandem turnout in Templot

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

I’ve got the track plan below in Templot but have had three attempts at converting the middle two points to a three way without any luck at all. If anyone has five minutes and is able to look at it, it would be appreciated. Failing that any pointers would be much appreciated!

Rich

post-16721-0-79839000-1538338873_thumb.png

MarshLaneDepot_2018_09_30_1945_45.box

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

Many thanks, no totally missed that, although I do find it difficult with Templot to find out what is new each time it updates. Thanks I’ll have a go with that!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Here you go:

marsh_lane_tandem.box

You needed to start with something a bit longer than 1:6 for the crossover. Otherwise the second turnout gets a bit too sharp.

I changed the crossover to 1:6.5, and changed the B switches to shorter 12ft switches to keep close to your overall length.

Angles are 1:4.36 , 1:6.5 , 1:6

Radii are 2307mm (90.8") , 2035mm (80.1").

Over to you to shove the timbering.

Martin.

Have you tried laying a left hand point on top of a right hand point?

I find it easier to turn off the sleepers on both templates so that you don't get any conflicting or awkward bits of track work.

When satisfied turn the sleepers back on one template at a time using shove timbers to modify the sleepering.

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried laying a left hand point on top of a right hand point?

Hi Gordon,

Templot now does all that for you. It finds a suitable matching turnout size, and creates the partial templates for the middle V-crossing. See: http://templot.com/companion/3_way_tandem_turnouts.php

It's not fair to beginners to make suggestions without being fully up to date with the latest version of software.

Martin.

Hi Gordon,

Templot now does all that for you. It finds a suitable matching turnout size, and creates the partial templates for the middle V-crossing. See: http://templot.com/companion/3_way_tandem_turnouts.php

It's not fair to beginners to make suggestions without being fully up to date with the latest version of software.

Martin.

Sorry Martin, I was not looking to be misleading but offering a simple pragmatic option.

I did a Templot demo at Scaleforum this year where I had some one sit down with saying they had spent three hours constructing a tandem turnout.

I showed him the aforementioned method that took a few minutes.

I will try using the latest system.

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A

• RMweb Gold

I was not looking to be misleading but offering a simple pragmatic option.

I did a Templot demo at Scaleforum this year where I had some one sit down with saying they had spent three hours constructing a tandem turnout.

I showed him the aforementioned method that took a few minutes.

I will try using the latest system.

Hi Gordon,

The new automated tandem function is the pragmatic option.

I have posted an apology on the Scalefour forum to the person concerned, who did not receive up-to-date information.

The Templot2 terms of use at: http://templot.com/companion/terms_of_use.php include paragraph 3 to try to prevent situations such as this. But clearly I have failed.

Martin.

Hi Gordon,

The new automated tandem function is the pragmatic option.

I have posted an apology on the Scalefour forum to the person concerned, who did not receive up-to-date information.

The Templot2 terms of use at: http://templot.com/companion/terms_of_use.php include paragraph 3 to try to prevent situations such as this. But clearly I have failed.

Martin.

Hello Martin,

I believe I was using the latest version as I logged on Saturday and Sunday mornings via the internet prior to the start of each day.

As with any system different people will take different approaches to reach the same destination, or stick with an approach that they are happy with.

If any apology was due it should have come from me as the demonstrator, however I made it clear that I was not claiming to be an expert, just a satisfied user of an excellent system.

Where relevant I stated that certain routes to an end, were of my own choice. 

As such I do not believe an apology is required.

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold

Hello Martin,

I believe I was using the latest version as I logged on Saturday and Sunday mornings via the internet prior to the start of each day.

As with any system different people will take different approaches to reach the same destination, or stick with an approach that they are happy with.

If any apology was due it should have come from me as the demonstrator, however I made it clear that I was not claiming to be an expert, just a satisfied user of an excellent system.

Where relevant I stated that certain routes to an end, were of my own choice. 

As such I do not believe an apology is required.

Gordon A

Its one of the issues I find with Templot - I enjoy using it, to the best of my ability.  I obviously don't use it totally the way Martin intended, as I still get frustrated when I press F7 to move and snap, and it just moves.  Having to click the mouse to get the move and snap ability is, to me as a use, just counter productive and I do get somewhat frustrated with any software developer that tries to demand we do things they way they want - users will always have their own ways of doing things at the end of the day. To me 'Move and Snap' is quick and easy, may not be the best or right way, but it works and gets me what I want.

Some of the, shall we say, 'proper' ways might be better and quicker, but if the end user doesn't know they are there, or isn't comfortable with using them, they will fall back on what they know works.  I suspect that is the case in Gordon's viewpoint.  I am not sure if there is a change log for Templot or not - most software these days has a list of changes so people can keep up to date, but I've never found one for Templot - having said that, while I am a member I only trawl the Templot Club when I get really stuck.  But equally I don't think anyone should expect a user to go and specifically find out what is new each time a piece of software updates, its an optional thing, most of us I suspect are limited on time, we just want to power on, do what we want to achieve and move on.

For me, I had about four attempts following different posts or tutorials on how to do a 3-way point and it all went wrong, hence the original post, then Martin pointed out the automated system, which I didnt know about (I am another user that doesn't trawl menus!) and very kindly undertook the procedure for me, for which grateful thanks!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Rich

How are you getting on with the timber moving ?

Hi John,

Sorry life has been a bit manic just lately, not had a huge amount of time, so I still owe you a call for advice! Sorry about that.  I've yet to do the timber shifting, thats Thursday's job hopefully when I've a day off and some peace and quiet in the house!  I need to do a bit of research and just double-check which timbers extend and which ones are removed :)

Rich

• RMweb Gold
I still get frustrated when I press F7 to move and snap, and it just moves.  Having to click the mouse to get the move and snap ability is, to me as a use, just counter productive and I do get somewhat frustrated with any software developer that tries to demand we do things they way they want - users will always have their own ways of doing things at the end of the day. To me 'Move and Snap' is quick and easy, may not be the best or right way, but it works and gets me what I want.

Hi Rich,

Snapping is useful for a simple track plan, but it infuriates more-experienced users creating complex track plans, especially formations comprised of partial templates. I have tried to cater for both as follows:

1. if you want snapping click the top SHIFT & JOIN button only, or press F7 and then hold down the SHIFT key while moving the template, and don't read the next line.

2. if you don't want snapping, press F7 only, or click the top SHIFT & JOIN button and then hold down the SHIFT key while moving the template.

I am not sure if there is a change log for Templot or not - most software these days has a list of changes so people can keep up to date, but I've never found one for Templot

The Templot2 change log is at: http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=1511&forum_id=17

However it got too long to be usable, so I have now changed to posting a list of changes on Templot Club for each program update. I will look at making those posts easier to find at a later date.

But equally I don't think anyone should expect a user to go and specifically find out what is new each time a piece of software updates, it's an optional thing

I think it's reasonable to expect someone offering to demonstrate software to others to do that.

I do get somewhat frustrated with any software developer that tries to demand we do things they way they want

I'm not a software developer. I'm a railway hobbyist just like you. I originally wrote Templot for my own use, the way I want it. I'm happy to make it available to anyone else who wants to use it (free). If you are not happy with the way it works the solution is obvious -- don't use it. I'm not demanding anything of anyone.

I have also made the code available open-source, so anyone who wants to make it work differently is entirely free to do so. There are full instructions on how to compile the code on Templot Club (all free).

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

Martin

Thanks for the constant reminders, just about to do a track plan from a map and having to relearn all the little nuances. Wish I was a 10 year old able to absorb and remember things. Just practiced doing an outside slip, fun indeed.

Thanks again 

Hi John,

Sorry life has been a bit manic just lately, not had a huge amount of time, so I still owe you a call for advice! Sorry about that.  I've yet to do the timber shifting, thats Thursday's job hopefully when I've a day off and some peace and quiet in the house!  I need to do a bit of research and just double-check which timbers extend and which ones are removed :)

Rich

No problems