Wells (Priory Road)

For those with an interest in such things, I have updated recently my web-page about the signalling at Wells ( see https://tinyurl.com/yd9hrmd6 ). Still something of a ‘work in progress’, tho’ for the moment I’m turning my attention to Tucker Street.

In the meantime, a query about the goods traffic at Priory Road after closure of the former GWR line to passengers in 1963. Some sources quote 13-July-1964 as the date for closure of the yard, while RA Cooke lists the yard sidings as being ‘taken out of use’ on 12-October-1964. I am assuming that the apparent discrepancy is probably due to the fact that the former refers to date when its use for goods traffic ceased, whereas the latter is when the sidings etc were formally ‘closed’. As yet sadly I have not seen any relevant Weekly Notice relating to Priory Road GF :-(

Can anyone comment further please?

Chris

• Like 1

Ah well, glad you found something of interest :-)  IIRC there are distant views of the back of the box in various photos taken at Tucker Street, though the precise sources elude me at the moment.

There are also a few nice pre-WW1 pix lurking about of the Glastonbury end of the box showing much more of the original B&ER-type barge-boarding, but sadly I don't have the copyright etc to reproduce them (yet).....:-(

Of course, what I really, really want is an interior shot of the old frame !!

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have a few of Dad's photos of trains at Wells in the 1950s & '60s. If they may be of interest I could add them to my gallery. You can find them on line at my photo-sharing pages, among other GW line photos at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/514681

This one isn't at Wells, but it ties in with the last post. Obviously someone polished up 3218 for the day. 41245 definitely didn't get the same treatment. I am not sure what the head code is meant to be. A quick search on line only comes up with that once - as 'empty passenger train'.

post-14351-0-75071300-1546472043_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6

My copy of the supplementary operating instructions April 1965 says Page 209 "Working of traffic between Wells East Somerset and Wells Station signal boxes" - delete first two paragraphs (K2/41/63 - 10/63 - XR14/9170)

My copy of the supplementary operating instructions April 1965 says Page 209 "Working of traffic between Wells East Somerset and Wells Station signal boxes" - delete first two paragraphs (K2/41/63 - 10/63 - XR14/9170)

Question is - what did the deleted bits say and what was in the bits (if any) that were left ?