Albannach

Thank you to all who commented, it's much appreciated and certainly makes me want to get on with it.

Although I often "can't be bothered" after a day at work, I think I will have to dedicate at least one evening per week to modelling.

regards

Stewart

A bit of 7mm fun.

Langley etched box with cast interior and a wee bit of additional detail.

Yes, the telephone handset is wired to the base and no, there are not four pennies in the button B cup (nobody left money in a phonebox!!)

Yet to be weathered down a bit as I am not yet 100% sure of where it will be positioned.

I just realised I have not put "pull" on the door (there were numpties about in the fifties as well!!)

post-7165-127245342821.jpg

regards

Stewart

ps For those who don't know, a telephone call used to cost four old pence which you had to put into the box before you could speak.

If you made a connection you pushed button A to converse, if no connection was possible you pressed button B and got your money back.

Steam trains, real milk and refunds from the GPO, those were the days.

• Like 1

Hi Stewart,

Add a further vote of appreciation from me - really nice work and good to see another GNS layout. The wagons are spectacular and the beauty of modelling the GNS in the fifties is the vast variety of branch line motive power to choose from - and very little of it indigeneous!! Look forward to seeing the locos!

Bruce

Happened to be in W.H.Smith at the weekend and for those who also model Scotland's railways in the 50s / 60s they are selling an exclusive publication called "British Steam North of the Border" "Golden Decade of scottish Steam 1955 - 1965, priced at £7.99.

I treated myself and would highly recommend it, a wonderful collection (some colour) of photographs and worth it to me for the photos of D40s alone (next new job on the work bench)

regards

Stewart

Managed to get hold of a copy of this book yesterday , an excellent selection of pictures - Any chance a D30 "Scott" will appear on the layout?

A little progress made over the weekend.

Walking up the hill, towards the station complex, the coal merchants small yard now has a fence.

It's made from wooden coffee stirrers, I always put a tip in the cup and get permission to take a fistful of stirrers.

They vary quite a lot from company to company with Costa being heaviest section, I think the fence was old stock from Macdonalds as they now coat them with something.

post-7165-127347613407.jpg

In an attempt to stop locals from helping themselves a bit of corregated iron has been lashed up between the fence and the staithes with leftover sheets "stored" for later use.

post-7165-12734761861.jpg

Now that the staithes are in position I need to get on with the ground cover before adding coal stocks, scales, shovels etc.

The ground will be a motely collection of stone setts and slabs laid in a random fashion to try and represent an area that was surfaced on the cheap and repaired only when necessary.

Still all to be weathered down as it looks far too lush and green at the moment.

The good news is the home made electric static grass applicator worked a treat, so I will now stock up on a suitable range of grasses.

post-7165-127347622321.jpg

post-7165-127347620467.jpg

post-7165-12734762389.jpg

My idea of an area where patchy repairs have been carried out over the years to hard standing to retain a usable surface.

All from 20 thou plastic sheet cut into strips and then into smaller sections using the trusty NWSL Chopper, the setts also have the corners removed.

Once an area is laid it is sanded over and "grouted" with quick drying Polyfilla (the stuff that smells like cellulose thinners)

All in all a very tedious process which I hope will be worth it.

post-7165-127347627886.jpg

An attempt to "hide" the join between two boards with a barrow crossing.

post-7165-12734762993.jpg

Finally, the bridge has been grouted and after a couple of days will be given a few weathering washes.

post-7165-127347631893.jpg

• Like 2

A couple of years ago I was able to obtain a Bachman early 08 at a very good price.

Lovely thing and ran like a sewing machine but I did not like the slotted screw crank pins, so eventually I decided to made up my own from M2 nuts and bolts.

While it was stripped down for painting I thought I would add an MTK detailing pack (absolutely stunning, a kit in itself and the quality of everything is top drawer, I would think it is as good as etching gets) which is very detailed so progress has slowed down.

I have made myself a promise to finish it "next" and install a sound card, so it's back on the work bench.

It has been well tested and running qualities are excellent, I have not pinned and finished off the new crank pins yet as I have to remove one rod to fit the speedo drive linkage (I think that's what it is) to the drive unit, which is part of the "middle chassis" currently being worked on.

post-7165-127355804086.jpg

So far it's got new springs, sand boxes and steps.

Detailing is continuing with additions to the front and rear buffer beams.

Why an 08?

It's a long story but as a lad I had a cab ride from Glasgow Central to Polmadie Shed in an 08 and on arrival at the shed I also "met" and cabbed 45157 The Glasgow Highlander (also on my to build list) so as a first effort in gauge 0 it had to be an 08.

• Like 1

Hi a very nice layout could you tell me the size of the layout and do you have a track diagram will be watching your progress and hope you post more pics.

cheers

Thank you for the positive comments, much appreciated.

For an 0 gauge layout it is best described as compact.

The scenic section is 3.6m x 0.8m with a little bit at the end widening out to 1m for the jetty.

There is another 1.2m for the fiddle yard.

It fits along one wall of the garage and the fiddle yard was kept down to a loco and two coaches as I wanted to try and give the impression of space when there is none, so did not want to fill the platform with a train.

Track plan equally simple.

post-7165-127360423866.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

Work begins on detailing the small harbour area.

Modelled "tides out" so that the Puffer does not dominate the layout too much (in comparison to railways, even small boats are big)

It doesn't look anything like that green in "real life" but after a few days drying it will be dry brushed to equal it all out a bit.

Fixtures and fittings to follow then I need to do some work on the hull of the Puffer before pouring some "water"

I am not sure about adding a quayside crane.

Would it clutter the area up too much?

Would the small coasters that visited such a facility have used their own rigging lifts anyway?

Comments appreciated.

post-7165-127407733769.jpg

post-7165-127407744248.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Everytime I looked at the layout I thought the fence by the coal drops made it look too crowded and over fussy, so out it came.

post-7165-127530568349.jpg

The gap in the slabs to the right is where stone sets will be, but I have yet to make some more (very boring job)

post-7165-127530671296.jpg

A wet Bank Holiday Saturday gave a bit of time to progress with the small quayside.

Slabs now layed and "grouted" but will leave a few days before weathering.

Wobbly (been bumped by puffers a few times) low tide ladder access added in two positions.

Work started on station fencing and platform surfacing (slabs for main, wood and gravel for extension)

post-7165-127530637239.jpg

post-7165-127530650961.jpg

post-7165-127530657562.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Only just found this thread and really enjoy the simplicity and attention to detail.

Seeing a layout such as this does not help with fighting the 7mm temptation!

Looking forward to seeing more from this project...

I am not sure about adding a quayside crane.

Would it clutter the area up too much?

Would the small coasters that visited such a facility have used their own rigging lifts anyway?

]

Whilst it is your layout (etc), I do think that us modellers put too much in most of our layouts - mine is probably more open than most and yet I actually think it is a bit cluttered. So my vote is no.

A puffer would have tended to use its own derick, they tended to have them because cranes were not common out in the west (or east!).

I did not realise that Langleys produced the puffer in 7mm, it must be a bit of a beast as it is not a small model in 4mm! I have a few photos of the couple puffers still out there (PM me if you wish for them) and you might like to find these sites http://www.vic56.co.uk/, http://vic96.co.uk/galleryviews, http://www.inveraray...clydepuffers01/. They lead to plenty of other sites on puffers.

Whilst it is your layout (etc), I do think that us modellers put too much in most of our layouts - mine is probably more open than most and yet I actually think it is a bit cluttered. So my vote is no.

A puffer would have tended to use its own derick, they tended to have them because cranes were not common out in the west (or east!).

I did not realise that Langleys produced the puffer in 7mm, it must be a bit of a beast as it is not a small model in 4mm! I have a few photos of the couple puffers still out there (PM me if you wish for them) and you might like to find these sites http://www.vic56.co.uk/, http://vic96.co.uk/galleryviews, http://www.inveraray...clydepuffers01/. They lead to plenty of other sites on puffers.

I think I knew that a crane would clutter up the area too much as it is only a quayside, rather than a dockside.

The puffer is indeed a big lump of resin (I have the waterline version which has a solid hull) and it's taking a lot of will power not to start it, but I have too many projects on the go as it is.

I have managed to gather quite a lot of information and photographs (even bought a book) on the Puffer I want (Auld Reekie) as well as a reasonably detailed drawing.

Thank you very much for the kind offer of Puffer photographs which I will gladly accept as you can never have too much information available, although you may have to accept the blame for supplying that extra little bit that makes starting yet another project irresistable !!!

regards

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Looking very nice indeed, Stewart

I'd love the scope that 7mm allows for more realism in the track and scenics, and seeing your work makes it tempting - apart from the fact that I've already got well over a dozen OO locos, and also much of the rolling stock. Also, I'm no scratchbuilder or kit builder, so would not be able to get the variety and range that I can from the smaller scale - but your work gives a lot of food for thought.

BTW from your user name, and choice of prototype, are you, like me, an exiled Scot?

Looking very nice indeed, Stewart

I'd love the scope that 7mm allows for more realism in the track and scenics, and seeing your work makes it tempting - apart from the fact that I've already got well over a dozen OO locos, and also much of the rolling stock. Also, I'm no scratchbuilder or kit builder, so would not be able to get the variety and range that I can from the smaller scale - but your work gives a lot of food for thought.

BTW from your user name, and choice of prototype, are you, like me, an exiled Scot?

Thank you for the comments, much appreciated.

Strangly, my move to 7mm was because of a lack of space, and a love of East and West Coast Pacifics (from train spotting days)

By moving to 7mm with a "shunting plank" the Pacifics are out of the question (quite apart from the cost in 7mm) although I have made sure there is enough room on Albannach for a Black Five to run round a train, as I would love to have a model of 45157 one day, I have a kit for an engineers inspection coach and that will be my "excuse" for it making an appearance (not that I need an excuse, but you know what I mean)

I very much enjoy the "bulk" of 7mm stock and as a bonus, I can also see what I am building.

Yes, I am indeed a Scot, born and bred in Glasgow (so where the GNSR interest comes from is anybody's guess) and as an apprentice Draughtsman I was sent to Stowe College for my Day Release, which was then right next to the North British Locomotive Works, although at that time my interest in railways was what might be called dormant (and do I regret it now)

I have slipped down a bit further South than yourself and am a long term and very happy resident of Shropshire (lovely and much under rated County)

I am tolerated as the one who models "one of the other railways" by my Western peers down here.

Not too sure about being "an exiled Scot" though, I was thinking about a trip to the far North (for the first time ever !!!!) soon, so I was hoping to be let back in for a wee while.

regards

Stewart

Well Stewart I can only agree with what has already been said, attention to detail gose a long way when photographed and it looks fantastic. I like the idea of the Clyde puffer I never seem to have any room left for none rail scenes after I have worked out my track plan. What size is it or did I miss that somewhere ? All the best Andy.

Thank you to

Jamie, Signalmaintainer, bcnPete and Andrew P, your kind comments are very much appreciated.

Work progresses slowly at the moment with mainly styrene sheet being cut up to produce 6" granite setts for the yard, paving slabs for the main platform and a bit of lamination and filing to produce the capping stones for the bridge.

I am also working through cleaning up the ballasting to remove all the bits trapped between sleeper and rail which I had not noticed until I took the photographs.

All quite tedious (but necessary) jobs which seem to take a disproportionate amount of time to produce the visual results (especially the setts)

Hopefully enough progress will have been made to merit a few more pictures this weekend.

regards

Stewart