Albannach

Great to see you back and as usual some great work. The signals look good, who's parts are you using and how are you operating them?

Hope your back injection goes well and the needle isn't too big... :O

Many thanks for the comments.

All the signal parts are from MSE (Wizard Models) and are being built as ex GNSR post and fittings with arms as upgraded by the LNER to upper quadrant based on photographs from the area being modelled.

I decided not to use the etched "flat" ladded supplied in the kits and went for the much better etched sides and wire rung type from the same supplier (fiddly but looks much better)

I have not used a ladder on the shorter platform starter as, based on photographs, that's how many seem to have been.

A couple of Tortiose point motors are "in stock" and I had intended using them for below baseboard operation, but there are much smaller options now available so I am having a further think as I can't lift the baseboards to do the work at the moment anyway.

I thought about lower quadrant (many signals in the GNSR area remained so until closure) with a view to perhaps running some LNER or GNSR stock over time but due to being won over by the stunning diesels on show on this forum I have gone for the later upper quadrant to enable the line to have remained open into the 70s and 80s (if I ever get round to building the stock)

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The experiment of using non solvent Evostick contact adhesive for the Slaters sheets seems to have worked well, so the long process (sanding/filling/sanding/filling etc) of blending in the inside and outside corners has now started.

The "green stuff" is my own mixture of sprue offcuts and Mekpak.

post-7165-0-92969300-1323620035.jpg

post-7165-0-55096200-1323620034.jpg

regards

Stewart

• Like 6

Oooh - I like the look of that train shed. Very nice indeed.

Thanks for the kind comment.

Although it's a cut down version of Macduff it's still a big lump of a thing on the work bench and although the work at the moment is a bit tedious I am enjoying seeing it come together at last.

regards

Stewart

Another fantastic update Stewart. You are capturing the charm perfectly.

I have always been a fan of the Far North Line and have been tempted by the charms of Thurso but moved to a harbour side setting. The depot area at Thurso doesnt excite me enough and whilst stumbling around the web I found a couple of pictures of the real Macduff station. One of them capturing the turntable just of the loading dock really made me think what a wonderful location and layout it would make

You have most probably already seen it but I have enclosed a link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5745761463/in/set-72157626777605438

Another fantastic update Stewart. You are capturing the charm perfectly.

I have always been a fan of the Far North Line and have been tempted by the charms of Thurso but moved to a harbour side setting. The depot area at Thurso doesnt excite me enough and whilst stumbling around the web I found a couple of pictures of the real Macduff station. One of them capturing the turntable just of the loading dock really made me think what a wonderful location and layout it would make

You have most probably already seen it but I have enclosed a link

http://www.flickr.co...157626777605438

Many thanks for the kind feedback.

I would really have liked to model Macduff, it's a nice compact terminus layout in open fields with part covered passenger, goods shed, open goods platform, cattle dock, stock storage sidings, loco shed, turntable, loco coal and water facilities.

Enough information was gathered to make a start but I could simply not find the space in my preferred scale of 7mm hence the imaginary Albannach.

I was looking at some interior photographs of Macduff station before adding the stone sheets inside and though it is a fairly small station by prototype standards, it is quite surprising how much I have had to exclude to get it down to just over 600mm long to fit in the available space.

Thank you for the link, it's a lovely photograph, as you thought I do know of it (it's on the CD of GNSR pics I purchased from Earnies Railway Archive) but I never get tired of seeing it, so the thought was very much appreciated.

regards

Stewart

• 1 month later...

Still slow progress with the layout but, Spinal Injection due later this week so, if all goes well I hope to get on with the backscene then get under the boards to finish the wiring, hook up the box lighting and get the signals fitted and operational.

Signal box nearly finished, just needs door handles and a padlock & hasp for the frame room door.

I had intended it to be very faded LNER green and cream but it didn't (IMHO) look "Scottish" enough so, although very few BR ScR buildings were painted in the official blue and white, as it is an imaginary location based on actual ex GNoSR buildings, I decided this one was.

In my period (late 50s) it is only just hanging on to a passenger service and is mainly freight traffic.

The box is no longer looked after as well as it should be and could really do with a new coat of paint.

Once the box has been fitted and bedded in, it will be the last "white area" on the layout gone, so a bit of a landmark for me and a good incentive to get on and finish the train shed.

My modelling time has not been totally wasted though as I have drawn up the windows and doors etc for the train shed on CAD (a big effort as I am a draughtsman during the day, so firing up AutoCAD in the evening is not exactly my idea of fun, but I did enjoy it a bit and it was quicker and easier than making them)

A test file is at the laser cutter now to be sure I understood the cutter specifications correctly and got all the sums correct.

post-7165-0-23085100-1327255062.jpg

post-7165-0-73836400-1327255274.jpg

regards

Stewart

Edited by 45157
  • Like 6

Glad to see another update

The signal box captures the tired feeling very well.

Hope your injection does the trick

Thank you for the comment, "tired" was just what I was looking for so I will now stop messing and leave it alone.

It's funny that whenever you are having something done medically you meet someone who has had the same thing done in the past, I have and it went well for them, so I have fingers crossed.

I have Thursday and Friday off work for it so with any luck I will get some modelling done as well.

I have just come across this layout thread - absolutely stunning modelling, you must be very proud of your layout.

Best regards

Craig.

Thanks for the kind comments Craig, much appreciated although I don't know about proud, I think I still have a long way to go till I am happy with it, and it would be able to stand comparison with many of the superb layouts on show here every day.

Still, I am enjoying what I am doing and I strongly believe that it what the hobby is all about.

That 'box looks really nice , more great work.

You need to CAD up an NBL type 2 diesel.....

Thanks for the comments, the only problem with doing a 3D drawing in 7mm would be the current cost of 3D printing for something that size, although I have thought about it and have updated my CAD software at home, prior to retirement later this year.

Perhaps with more spare time (after modelling time of course) I may look at part printed part etched.

The last time I spoke to JLTRT about doing one they didn't say definately yes, but, neither did they say no chance, only that I would have to wait and see.

When I was an apprentice, the College I was sent to for day release was in the same road as the North British Loco Works, so I could have walked down as an "interested engineering student" from the College and gleaned lots of information, but at that time the thought of it all vanishing one day never entered my head.

For that matter, I also thought I would be on a drawing board for life.

A big thanks to all those who take the time to have a look and comment on the layout when there is so much to see on RMweb, it is very much appreciated.

regards

Stewart

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit of progress.

The test windows I drew came back from the laser cutter (Lasercraft Devon, to whom I have no connection other than a very satisfied customer) absolutely perfect, so I ordered the rest of the windows by return.

They came back in double quick time, so I now have to get them painted and assembled (a clear material sandwiched between two frames)

I will now have to get on and draw up the internal and external doors, then the roof joists for the station and goods shed.

To that end I spent a bit of time this weekend undercoating the station and goods shed ready to start the stone painting and grouting process after a good few days drying time as it's a bit cold and draughty in the garage at the moment and it's too big to go in the airing cupboard (as if I'd dare !!)

post-7165-0-14778100-1329067870.jpg post-7165-0-10200400-1329067965.jpg

I had a mild panic when I saw the picture of the goods shed as the door looks to be wider at the top, but it is an optical illusion, which I hope will go when it is all finished and the door fitted.

Busy time approaching again in the outside world (I do enjoy the time spent in my own little world of model railways) so probably no more updates till mid March or so.

regards

Stewart

• Like 1

Great to see another update Stewart. I hope your back problems are under control now.

I love the mottled shade for the ground area in the yard. It looks very realistic. The picture does give the shed door area a rather weird angle but with an open door I think it will look spot on.

Unfortunately the back will always be a weak link for me, but the injection seems to have done the trick for the disc and trapped nerve so I am very pleased, thanks for asking.

I have gone back to look at the picture a few times and will perhaps have the inside wall next to the track in stone finish, not whitewashed.

Thank you for the comment on the yard, I keep fiddling with it and looking at prototype photographs and don't think it is there yet, perhaps a few puddles and some lying water in the drainage gulleys.

regards

Stewart

Glad the injection has helped.

On the inside of the shed wall. I quite like the whitewash as it adds to the depth - its probably needs to be more of a murky grey though. Onto the yard and from the pictures I think it looks like a realistic scene but cant compare it to the prototype as I haven't seen any close up images of the location. Being Scotland I agree that a puddle or two may be required

All the best

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Plans unexpectedly changed so fitted in a bit of modelling time.

The train shed painted and varnished (the process rubs off the enamel paint) ready for grouting/addition of "mortar" courses.

post-7165-0-97354900-1330798963.jpg

A start being made on the grouting, it looks very "stark" at this stage but it will quieten down quite a lot later on.

It has all now been grouted since the photo and will be left to dry throughly before setting about it with a wet sponge, followed by dry brushing with the original colours, numerous colour washes and weathering.

post-7165-0-33622600-1330799110.jpg

I just took this to see what it would look like.

Obviously lots of work yet to be done on the interior, not least trimming and bedding in the base.

The area under the stone will be done in dark wood panelling and varnished, along with the doors.

Doors are on the drawing board (ok, computer) at the moment and although I intended to use individual wood planks I may also have the panelling laser cut to maintain a similar colour to the doors, or paint the doors faded blue and stay with the individual panels, undecided at the moment.

Windows will be white with faded ScR light blue frames as a gesture to "modern times" (as was the signal box)

post-7165-0-45887800-1330799190.jpg

regards

Stewart

edited to correct obvious spelling mistake

Edited by 45157
  • Like 5

Dont manage to make it onto RMWeb for 3 days and (almost) missed an update on one of my favourite layouts.

i cant add anything constructive or helpful but can only say how much I look forward to each update. The whole feel of your project is fantastic and the standard of modelling is first class.

mark

Dont manage to make it onto RMWeb for 3 days and (almost) missed an update on one of my favourite layouts.

i cant add anything constructive or helpful but can only say how much I look forward to each update. The whole feel of your project is fantastic and the standard of modelling is first class.

mark

Thank you once again for your positive comments, they are much appreciated.

Hopefully I can find the time to finish off the stonework and get a couple of colour washes done over the weekend along with getting the drawings finished and off to the laser cutter for the doors.

I am quite looking forward to drawing up the roof supports although it will be a while before I need them in the build.

Once I am on the home straight with the carrige/goods shed I am going to have a break from the layout (providing it doesn't draw me in when I walk past it) and get on with building some stock as there is a drawer full of part finished stuff that I am starting to feel very guilty (and a bit frustrated) about not completing.

regards

Stewart

Edited to yet again correct a spelling mistake that only became obvious once posted !!

Edited by 45157

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately the back will always be a weak link for me, but the injection seems to have done the trick for the disc and trapped nerve so I am very pleased, thanks for asking.

I have gone back to look at the picture a few times and will perhaps have the inside wall next to the track in stone finish, not whitewashed.

Thank you for the comment on the yard, I keep fiddling with it and looking at prototype photographs and don't think it is there yet, perhaps a few puddles and some lying water in the drainage gulleys.

regards

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Just looked at this thread . Dont know how I missed this even with you commenting on my Glen Gillie thread. Keep up the good work.

Hope the back in proves. 22 years ago I had the same trouble. The injections din't work for me (mainly because I am to big, Wendy says Fat) and in the end had two discs removed and a thrid repaired. Off work for eight months. I know what you most be feeling. Good luck

Peter

Hi Stewart,

Just bumping this to see if you managed to make any more progress of late?

Always happy to see more on this layout me :yes:

Hi bcnpete

Thank you for the interest.

The day job has been a bit intense lately and being a hobby, it's modelling time that suffers, although a few little jobs are progressing on the carrige shed.

Yesterday (Sunday) I spent the afternoon in the garden cutting out the backscene which is major progress, it's a job I have been putting off as it had to be done outside.

Unfortunately, the layout is "reversed" in the garage at the moment (not good for photos) to allow fitting and fettling of the bits before painting and final fitting.

It has given me a new detirmination to "get on with it" so I will try and get a few pics up in the next week or so.

regards

Stewart

• Like 2